Adobe CTO: Flash is ‘ready’ for iPhone, iPad | iLounge News

Adobe CTO: Flash is ‘ready’ for iPhone, iPad

In a lengthy blog post discussing the lack of Flash support on Apple’s portable devices, particularly the iPad, Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch made several comments supporting the argument for Flash on Apple’s devices while giving examples of content iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad users will be unable to access without Flash support. “Some have been surprised at the lack of inclusion of Flash Player on a recent magical device,” Lynch writes. “Flash has been incredibly successful in its adoption, with over 85% of the top web sites containing Flash content and Flash running on over 98% of computers on the Web… It is used for the majority of casual games, video, and animation on the Web and familiar brands like Nike, Hulu, BBC, Major League Baseball, and more rely on Flash to deliver the most compelling experiences to over a billion people.”

Discussing Flash on mobile devices, he continues, saying, “[t]he Flash engineering team has taken this on with a major overhaul of the mainstream Flash Player for a variety of devices. We are now on the verge of delivering Flash Player 10.1 for smartphones with all but one of the top manufacturers. This includes Google’s Android, RIM’s Blackberry, Nokia, Palm Pre and many others across form factors including not only smartphones but also tablets, netbooks, and internet-connected TVs.” Finally, Lynch claims that Adobe is “ready to enable Flash in the browser on [Apple’s] devices if and when Apple chooses to allow that for its users, but to date we have not had the required cooperation from Apple to make this happen.” The post has drawn a large number of comments from readers, many of which are critical of Flash and Adobe as a company. Lynch’s post follows comments reportedly made by Apple CEO Steve Jobs at a corporate town hall event last week, at which Jobs is said to have called Adobe lazy, claiming that Flash is buggy, and adding that no one will be using it going forward as online development shifts to HTML5.

« Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games Guide App Released

VC firms launch iPad app development funds »

Comments

How can this tool say this?  For Flash to work on portable devices like the iPhone and iPad, it MUST have specific hardware acceleration to work at a reasonable clip.  How does he know the hardware is even present and working in either the iPhone or the iPad, let alone have software support for it?

Posted by dave on February 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM (CST)

Adobe should release flash for iPhone to only work on JailBroke iPhones,  then we can see how well it runs and if people are happier with or without flash

Posted by jim on February 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM (CST)

I always wondered why there was no flash on the iphone until I heard Jobs say “usually when a mac crashes, its because of flash” (paraphrasing). I have a new macbook pro, and this is really true. I no longer want flash on the iphone, ipad, etc. Flash has been around a long time- and if its still this buggy, I’ll pass.

Posted by Alfred on February 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM (CST)

Did you not read the comments - almost 85% of them dismissed Kevin’s blog post and sided with Apple - and most of them are in the Adobe ecosystem.  By regurgitating this same information and block summarizing of Kevin’s post you’re making your self look ________.  (Go ahead, fill in the blank and get back to us, we’ll let you know if you missed the mark.)

Posted by CAJeepBoy on February 4, 2010 at 7:30 PM (CST)

#4: That was noted in the second paragraph; the comments don’t erase the fact that the post was made.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on February 4, 2010 at 7:38 PM (CST)

The 85% and the 98% - is he referring to the CPU load when anything flash is running? epic #fail
I am glad it is neither on the iPhone nor on the upcoming iPad.
“All” flash is used for is blinking annoying banner ads.

Posted by McMac on February 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM (CST)

I really have never liked flash, especially from a programming standpoint. Most flash used on sites is annoying anyways. I would rather see video in H.264 format rather than being required to use some plug in.

Personally, I don’t want it.

Posted by ryan on February 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM (CST)

I developed flash websites for a few years and loved them. From animation to videos to audio and interactive action, everything was nice. BUT I never liked the fact that when you develop good quality flash sites, the loading time went dramatically up.

I love my iPhone and at first I missed flash but then I got used to it and now, It don’t matter to me if the iPhone would get flash or not.

looks like html5 is the way to go ... .... I have no problem not to get flash

Posted by dennis on February 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM (CST)

@ #4, you’re post seems completely out of line.  As Jeremy stated, if you bothered to read the whole thing, it’s there in the second paragraph.  Back on topic, that 85% number is complete B.S. for the reason many have pointed out already, banner ads.  Sure I could make a site that includes Flash, but it’d be an ad as all my videos would be H.264 Quicktimes.  Flash has gotten bloated and buggy which is why I have ClickToFlash on my MBP and Adobe needs to get their act in gear and make CS5 what CS4 should’ve been.  Where’s out 64-bit support?  Huh?

-Brian

Posted by brianbobcat on February 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM (CST)

I (and the 90% of users who are not programmers) could really care less about the technical details. Hulu and other killer apps use Flash, so Apple needs to support flash or we’ll find another solution.

Why not support Flash and let the market decide which technology wins? Because he is trying to use the leverage of his captive audience to promote Apple’s chosen standards (and probably also to protect his measly content rental revenue streams). Not the first time Apple has acted this way.

If Jobs wanted to work with Adobe to produce a stable version of Flash for iPad/Pod/Phone he would. Say what you will, this is bad for Apple’s users.

Posted by RR2010 on February 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM (CST)

I want flash NOW!

Posted by JackDaniels on February 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM (CST)

No flash, no Ipad. Simples..

Posted by ady-s on February 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM (CST)

Not enabling flash makes no sense in light of Apple’s strength in software simplicity.  Folks buy Apple products because they just work - no thought, no work arounds, no kludgy pop ups or warnings.  They buy Apple because for years it did not have a “Blue Screen of Death.”  Apple’s apparent decision not to even try to enable flash work makes devoted users like me scratch their heads.

Get together with them and make it work.  The power to watch Hulu anywhere would be a big enough draw for folks to pick up an iPad.  Also, with all due respect to developers, and the excellent tools available, Flash lets a complete novice write a robust little application without learning to program.  When done properly, it controls user’s access to site material and keeps proprietary information safe from meddling.  And it just works.  So, Steve, give us back the Apple that just works.  Flash works in Safari on a Mac, so it can be done.  Especially if Apple were to talk to Adobe.

As a consumer, I am not interested in squabbles between companies - they mostly result in annoyances like different formats and tough trade-offs.  You want the iPad to sell like hotcakes, get Flash to work and talk up the ability to watch Hulu, and surf the whole web, without holes.

Posted by Erik on February 5, 2010 at 10:18 PM (CST)

If Hulu wants content to be available for iPhone users, they should release that damned Hulu app.  iPhone users are a multi-million-customer market currently left untapped by certain companies.  Why in God’s name would Apple help Hulu compete against its own iTunes Store by cooperating with a company like Adobe that has a track record for laziness?  WHAT WOULD APPLE GAIN?  High-fives today, lost customers tomorrow, after Flash crashes everyone’s iPhones.

And who gives a crap about Flash, anyway?  I avoid using my browser like it’s the plague if there’s an app that can accomplish the same task.  Apps are a vastly superior experience.  If there was literally an app for everything (and there will be), we wouldn’t need to surf the net for ANYTHING.  Apps are the future!  It’s bad business sense for any company who has a website to not have an app also.  It’s a new, better frontier.  Grab your piece of the pie or be forgotten!  There’s nothing that can compete with software optimized for the device upon which it’s displayed.  If you think apps are popular right now, you are only looking at the tip of the iceberg.  Internet browsers as we know them today will eventually become obsolete.  Flash will be flushed.  If Adobe wants to stay afloat, they need to shift gears NOW.

Posted by AJ on February 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM (CST)

I really like video on demand, I’m fustrated that I can’t watch channel 4s vod service because it uses flash, what needs to happen to sort this out..?

Posted by Matt Nz-Uk on February 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM (CST)

The simple fact is that major companies use flash content on their sites. Obviously the iPhone is a major contender and I understand flash is buggy but apple needs to get off their high horse and let the decision be made by it’s loyal users.

Posted by Nyspoiler on February 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM (CST)

I tried out the I-Pad at an Apple store in the local mall. It is quite a piece of work. Only problem was when I brought up 3 of my favorite sites and I got nothing but blue space where the video should have been.

In short - I won’t buy an I-Pad as long as it won’t view flash video. To me that is a deal killer.

Posted by JohnBoy on April 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM (CDT)

If flash could actually work on ipad, does it just help the sell of ipad, thus more profit for apple. It even help ipad to become mainstream gadget, and someday could actually replace netbook and notebook. What the heck is going on with Steve head?

Posted by Jobs is moron on May 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM (CDT)