Adobe speaks out on iPad’s lack of Flash support | iLounge News

Adobe speaks out on iPad’s lack of Flash support

Adobe has posted a new article on its Flash Platform blog discussing Apple’s iPad announcement and the device’s lack of Flash support. After calling the iPad a “pretty good new device” and discussing the various Adobe technologies that do appear on the iPad, including PDF and ePub support, Adobe employee Adrian Ludwig lambasts Apple for its choice to leave Flash support off the iPad. “It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers,” Ludwig writes. “Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple’s DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers.  And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web. If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab—not to mention the millions of other sites on the web—I’ll be out of luck.” Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen said in February 2009 that Apple and Adobe were “collaborating” in an effort to bring Flash to the iPhone, but no further statements have been made since.

« Scosche intros KickBack case for iPad

Limited Edition iLounge case charity auction extended, $255 raised so far »

Comments

The biggest thing I want to see is a browser identifier spoofer.  There’s sometimes when mobile webpages are good, but many other times they’re not what we want.  For example, I’m always clicking on links to specific pages for both the Chicago Sun Times and the Chicago Transit Authority, and both sites redirect me to a mobile homepage.  I’d like the option of spoofing my browser I.D. to be a regular browser so that I can click on links and actually have them work.  I know this doesn’t have to do with flash specifically, but it’s about our web experience as a whole.

-Brian

Posted by Brian Kaempen on January 30, 2010 at 12:21 AM (CST)

Personally, I hate Flash but for now it’s more of a necessary evil (like advertising). If Apple or anyone else can do better, that’s all well and good, but you don’t do a long-term road closure without first providing a traffic detour.
As Code Monkey said, it’s wrong to claim the iPad provides the best web browsing experience without it. Maybe it’s Steve’s idea of a great browsing experience. Just as the stubborn insistence that we use Steve’s EQ presets to listen to music instead of giving iPods a graphic EQ already so we can create our own.

Posted by Paul on January 30, 2010 at 6:57 PM (CST)

I have an iPad, and have to say that for the most part i can live very happily without flash. What would be good however would be if there was some apple app to convert flash content (like games) to run in a more stable and less memory hogging way. I have flash on my laptop and notice that a single browser session with a flash game can use 500mb of memory! If you tried that on an ipad or iPhone it would just crash I suspect.

Posted by Richard on April 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM (CDT)

It’s definitely a disaster know iPad have no flash players on it, especially after buying it.

Posted by Frank on May 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

If Apple is so opposed to Flash and all of its evils why is it available on their laptops?

Further it’s not a matter of Apple “changing the world” by driving the push for HTML it’s whether a user can access what is available now.  Can he or she get to the sites they need?

Imagine a car manufacturer decided what streets and highways you can use based on the perceived risks to their vehicle.

Give us the means to negotiate the risks. If the Apple wizards can’t do that then at least give us the freedom to risk it alone.

Yes, in the end it is their product and the buyer can take it or leave it but at least drop the pretense that they do what they do for us.

As for the person stating that Apple doesn’t need the $1.99 applications think again.  Those $1.99 apps and .99ct - excuse me $1.29 songs add up quickly.  Look at your own checking account. Is it the few big purchases or the collective little ones that make the largest dent?

Guess I’ll have to wait for Jobs to wise up and get over the bad morning(s) he was having during Ipad R&D or see what Sony’s answer to all of this will be.

Posted by afinepoint on June 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

I dislike anyone restricting my web browsing experience period.  I don’t believe Steve Jobs or anyone has that right.  I got the iPad as a gift, and didn’t know about the adobe flash restrictions.  Because of this restriction, I am unable to view more than 50% of web content.  I don’t live in China, or North Korea, I live in the great US of A where we have the freedom to view what we want when we want.  I will never purchase an apple product again because fundamentally, Apple is not in line with my belief system, which is simply one that allows consumers access to any and all web content.

Posted by Not tech savvy on November 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM (CST)

YEAH, why give people access to thousands of flash games when you can CHARGE THEM for any simliar one.

Posted by kinkazu on May 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2