Aer Lingus prohibits iPod usage on flights | iLounge News

Aer Lingus prohibits iPod usage on flights

According to thepost.ie Aer Lingus has prohibited usage of the iPod on all flights.  They also prohibit use of devices that utilize a laser such as portable CD-Players and CD-ROM drives.  I called the customer service line to verify this and it is in fact true.  They claim that it has to do with the frequency with which the iPod operates and the fact that it uses LEDs.

“And if you want to de-stress after a tough working trip by listening to your new digital music player (eg, iPod), sorry: the Irish national airline has banned them. Again, it is out on its own on this one. The news will dismay long-haul passengers as the devices are popular in helping to while away airborne hours.”

« Surround sound MP3s revealed

Shure E5 only $369 promotion for iLounge visitors only »

Comments

Ok, I don’t get it.  No CDROM devices (i.e. laptops), no LED’s (i.e. iPods, handheld game devices, PDA’s, calculators w/light-up buttons, etc ETC), because they interfere with instrumentation?

What am I missing here?

If anyone happens to be technically proficient, or perhaps is a commercial airline pilot or knows one, can you explain this to me?

Now, the mobile phone rule I can see for obvious reasons…my phone even causes odd blips beeps and buzzes through my car stereo speakers when I’m listening to FM whenever a call comes in…but how the hell are LED’s interfering with the gauges up front?  Or the frequency the iPod operates at?

Posted by breathe on March 22, 2004 at 10:57 AM (CST)

Ridiculous, I really don

Posted by ariza on March 22, 2004 at 11:04 AM (CST)

This is ridiculous. There is a small article in the latest Wired magazine about this issue, and it sounds like most airlines and the FAA don’t really test the devices for interference, they just make a blanket policy that bans all the devices from in-flight use.

Posted by AndyH on March 22, 2004 at 11:24 AM (CST)

Well, I think what happened here is the famous case of Irish drinking. These people have probably drowned out the last of their neurons in whiskey. Hence, I won’t ride them ever…

Posted by pbox on March 22, 2004 at 11:27 AM (CST)

“what happened here is the famous case of Irish drinking.”

Do all blacks eat watermelons?
Do all asians eat rice?
Do all latinos eat tacos?

Associating drinking with Irish is just stereotypical racism.

And on another note - some Aer Lingus flights (eg Dublin->LA) are 12+ hours. I can’t see any iPod battery lasting that long.

Maybe they want people to use Dells or Zens instead? Their batteries ought to last that long!

Posted by racists on March 22, 2004 at 11:48 AM (CST)

if a tiny led is dangerous enough to affect aer lingus’ onboard systems, who the hell will feel safe on a plane controlled by such systems?

Posted by dmeineck on March 22, 2004 at 11:55 AM (CST)

Uh, exactly. Remind me never to fly Aer Lingus. If they are worried about an iPod dropping the plane from the sky…

Perhaps an iPod battery wouldn’t last 12 hours, but there is the Belkin battery pack…

Posted by lbarkett on March 22, 2004 at 12:22 PM (CST)

I’m pretty sure my digital watch uses LEDs to display the data- i guess no more digital watches on planes?

Also, in the back of seats, isn’t the phone with the digital display usually using a LED display?

I could be wrong…

Posted by matt on March 22, 2004 at 12:24 PM (CST)

matt: a difference between LED and LCD. Digital watches and the phone display are LCDs, as is the iPod display. LEDs are used to illuminate the buttons on 3rd gen iPods, I’m guessing (I have a 2nd gen, so I don’t think there are any LEDs in it—unless the backlight is LED).

Posted by erik on March 22, 2004 at 12:33 PM (CST)

And just to be completely pendantic: Light-Emitting Diode and Liquid Crystal Display.

Posted by erik on March 22, 2004 at 12:34 PM (CST)

I have been using iPods on numerous long haul flights since early 2001.

In late 2003 on an Aer Lingus flight from Chicago to Dublin I was stopped from using my G4 laptop while watching a DVD. What was stupid about this was that I had not encountered any problem on the flight from Dublin to Chicago 4 days earlier.

They didn’t say anything about my iPod.

It’s settled it for me though - I am supposed to support my national airline I guess but not now. I’ve been a frequent flyer with them for 10 years now and it’s the last straw. I’ve had no such problems with any other airline - I flew from Paris to Dublin last week with Air France and no-one bothered about my iPod.

I don’t believe these myths about laptops (or even iPods) causing problems. It’s bull as far as I can tell - no-one has shown me any evidence that they are a safety risk.

Posted by fitz on March 22, 2004 at 12:46 PM (CST)

Maybe it’s time they put us to sleep as soon as the plane taxi away from the terminal, and wake us just after we land ...

Posted by Max on March 22, 2004 at 1:01 PM (CST)

Yup, it certainly sounds like a blanket ban in case someone has some kind of digitial device with radio transmitters (WiFi, Bluetooth etc). It’s too time-consuming to stop and check every one.

Posted by Mike on March 22, 2004 at 1:20 PM (CST)

Let’s put this to the test once and for all. I’m on an Aer Lingus flight right now, and we’re landing in three minutes. I’m about to turn on my iPod. I’ll post again once I’m safely on the ground.

Posted by Nagromme on March 22, 2004 at 1:46 PM (CST)

Well. It should be intresting, this summer I’m flying Aer Lingus this to Dublin and (unless directly told to) I’m going to bring my iPod with me and listen to it.

Going back to the watches, don’t they have LED and LCD? If your watch lights up that is…

Posted by (T)(C)(O) in Tennessee on March 22, 2004 at 2:39 PM (CST)

um, okay, you’re en route to/from Ireland—but in my experience all electronics are to be turned off until you reach the gate.  You would get nabbed on any airline if you listen while decending.  A better test would have been to see if they stop you whilst airborne at 40,000 feet.  Someone who’s flying aer lingus in the near future—make sure you stop the flight attendant (beverage, etc) with the headphones on - I think the test idea is a good one!!

PS
Also, if you’re decending, they would have shut off your internet connection several minutes ago, no?

Posted by breathe on March 22, 2004 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Isn’t that the plane company that Microsoft just made a huge investement in?

Don’t know about blacks or latinos, but every asian I ever met ate rice. But not all rice eaters are asian.

I think all three of them all breathe air.

Posted by Road Warrior on March 22, 2004 at 2:44 PM (CST)

what a bunch of f**kin wankers… that has got to be one of the dumbest things ive heard in a while…

Posted by irate passenger on March 22, 2004 at 2:50 PM (CST)

Well, someone need to update thier site if this is true. Unless a DAT player mean .mp3

Banned list

I also find it funny that only Nintendo and SEGA games are banned…time for some NGage

Posted by (T)(C)(O) in Tennessee on March 22, 2004 at 2:59 PM (CST)

Have I missed something (try not to reply to honestly!)? From reading the article and the banned list I can only see that the use is prohibited during take-off and landing, which most airlines do.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on March 22, 2004 at 3:17 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >