Aer Lingus prohibits iPod usage on flights | iLounge News

Aer Lingus prohibits iPod usage on flights

According to thepost.ie Aer Lingus has prohibited usage of the iPod on all flights.  They also prohibit use of devices that utilize a laser such as portable CD-Players and CD-ROM drives.  I called the customer service line to verify this and it is in fact true.  They claim that it has to do with the frequency with which the iPod operates and the fact that it uses LEDs.

“And if you want to de-stress after a tough working trip by listening to your new digital music player (eg, iPod), sorry: the Irish national airline has banned them. Again, it is out on its own on this one. The news will dismay long-haul passengers as the devices are popular in helping to while away airborne hours.”

« Surround sound MP3s revealed

Shure E5 only $369 promotion for iLounge visitors only »

Comments

I flew Aer Lingus to Dublin not 3 weeks ago.  I safely listened to my 2G 20gb iPod while wearing Bose QC2’s on the way there and back with no repercussions from the flight staff…although it was in my jacket pocket the entire trip…
I do remember them saying something about Gameboys being banned, snickered to myself about how stupid that was and promtly turned up the music on my similarly banned iPod to drown out the other pre-flight nonsense.
In defense of such rash, over-zealous actions on the part of Aer Lingus:  As soon as a plane crashes and its even suspected of being caused by LCD or LED or whatever else interference, you can bet your ### that the airlines will be sued.  The mantra of the airlines seems to be:  “If you don’t understand it or how it impacts your business, ban it.”

Posted by iChris on March 23, 2004 at 6:26 AM (PDT)

Out of interest do you see yourself above such rules? Why listen to an iPod if its banned? They don’t ban things for fun!

Also if I saw you listening to an iPod or similar device after they had been banned I would probably ask you to refrain from using it.
If a passenger asked you to do this would you refrain from using your iPod?

Posted by Pecker on March 23, 2004 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

<snip>”...They don’t ban things for fun!”

That’s the real question though.  *WHY* does Aer Lingus ban these devices when other airlines don’t?

Posted by breathe on March 23, 2004 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Pecker:

Do you follow all of the rules?  Have you ever driven above the legal speed limit?  If you say “no” and assuming you even have a license, then you, my friend, are a liar.  Why do I mention the speed limit?  Let me explain:  The speed limit was put into place during the 1970s oil crisis.  The reasoning it was enacted is no longer applicable, no one obeys that law anymore and yet no one in the gov’t has the sack to change it.  Hence it is still a law we’re forced to obey via the threat of fines.

The iPod banning is based on the same principle.  The reasoning behind the rule doesn’t apply and is utter BS.  So why follow it.  If I get caught, then I put it away.  I get caught speeding, then I pay a fine.

If some nosey, whiny, poindexter on the plane asks me to stop using it, I politely tell them to F*** off and wait for someone in a real position of authority to ask me to discontinue use.

Have your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Posted by iChris on March 23, 2004 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

Pecker—

I am no saying that I will carry and use my iPod on an airline that directly tells me that I am not aloud to use an item on the plane. If a announcment is made that all of whatever listed things might not be allowed but, if they do not mention mp3 players or anything of the iPod nature I will continue to listen to it.

Also, unless I have my iPod on hold it is liable to come back to life without my knowledge during a flight. So, since iPods never are completely “off”...

Last but not least, I’m not about to go on and disobey the rules they’ve set down. Those rules are there for my and everyother passangers protection, right now, I have heard no other news of Aer Lingus prohibiting iPod or anyother HD music devices.

Posted by (T)(C)(O) in Tennessee on March 23, 2004 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

“The reasoning behind the rule doesn’t apply and is utter BS. So why follow it.”
iChris on Mar 23, 04 10:24 am

Did you read my post above regarding electrical interference?
This is possibly a reason behind the ban, maybe you need to just take the view of the experts and follow the rules they set out. I wonder how your fellow passengers would feel if they were terrified as the plane had to make an emergency landing due to electronic problems and found out the sole cause of the problem was one immature person refusing to turn off his iPod?

Posted by Pecker on March 24, 2004 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

I will repeat my previous post for pecker’s valid (in having respect for rules) point about how rubbish the rules are:

Should a vehicle responsible for hundreds of people’s lives whilst flying them from a to b have systems which are so sensitive than a device like an ipod can cause disruption?  I’m sorry but if this is the case i hope the same people who make those systems don’t make them on any flights i go on, else the guy with a pacemaker next to me might be asked to switch it off because the tiny interferecne it causes might interfere with a critical system costing lots of money that has been designed without any thought of interference shielding.

Posted by dmeineck on March 24, 2004 at 1:15 AM (PDT)

Pecker:
And of course Aer Lingus has the world’s best engineers and scientists determining what is and is not a danger to an airplane in flight.  No other major airline has this ban in effect.  The rule was written in 1993 when the coolest gadget to playing music was a CD walkman.  They arbitrarily expanded the scope of the ruling to cover iPods for no scientific reason.  Wouldn’t UAL or AA look to jump on this band wagon if there was any scientific evidence to support the move?  After 9/11, wouldn’t you think that if any 2 airlines in the world would be the absolutely most concerned about passenger safety, including portable electronics, it would be those 2?  And why haven’t they done it?  Because using the ruling written over a decade ago to cover new, unrelated technology is BS.
We as humans have the right to think critically for ourselves an it’s what sets us apart from the animals Don’t be a sheep and be blindly led by bureaucrats who would rather write a rule banning something than spending the research money doing hard science in the name of customer satisfaction.

I eagerly await your reply.

Posted by iChris on March 24, 2004 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

I’m disappointed by how people are immature about the issue of safety. Until you can prove categorically that a device (not specifically an iPod) doesn’t affect aeroplanes instruments, and you have evidence that electronic devices can affect system instruments then I can’t see any option but to ban it until further research has been carried out. Who would you complain to if a plane crashed and a member of your family died? The airline for not banning such devices?

Its a preventative measure not a solution and I’m not naive enough to believe a single electronic device could bring down a plane, but (and I’m prophesising here) what if every person had an electric device (or even two/three) and the total number of passengers was 200/250/300 the amount of discharge would increase dramatically, so what would you do? Say the first 50 people on board are able to use their devices and the rest aren’t? Nice and fair.

If there is the slightest doubt about safety considering the serious risks involved I think its best to issue a blanket ban. Its up to other airlines what they do, and how seriously they take the risk. But I for one have no problem with AirLingus banning such devices; it’s hardly a big inconvenience for a passenger not to be able to use his/her Gameboy/Mobile Phone/iPod for several hours.

Posted by Pecker on March 24, 2004 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

Now I’m arguing for the sake of arguing.  I’m sure only Pecker and I are reading this thread anymore.
OK, by the same banning logic, maybe we’ll see this press release from our favorite Irish airline soon:
“We at Aer Lingus are banning everyone from wearing red shirts on our planes.  There is a possiblity that a pilot seeing a red shirt might have some sort or a corneal epsiode and be unable to see either the setting or rising sun.  In the interest of the safety of the flying public, we are taking a leadership role in the airline industry in issuing this ban.”

Feel safer now?  Makes about as much sense as #### on a bull.

I’ve enjoyed our exchange Pecker.  Hopefully no hard feelings.  I’m sure we’ll see each other around the campfire again.  muwahahahaha!

Posted by iChris on March 24, 2004 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

CPUs in CD players & iPods certainly emit RF (square waves, so that 3rd harmonic is a #####) that tape players don’t, but….

Why are laptops allowed once in the air?

Posted by Morgan on March 24, 2004 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

I have flown on several transoceanic flights with my iPod on all the way (thanks to a Belkin back-up pack) and don’t recall the plane plunging into the ocean in flames, but admittedly I was never on an Aer Lingus aircraft…perhaps they are particularly sensitive…

Posted by Filter on March 24, 2004 at 8:31 PM (PDT)

“Do all blacks eat watermelons?” Yes
“Do all asians eat rice?” Yes
“Do all latinos eat tacos?” Yes

Guess I’m missing something here.

Posted by Clueless in Seattle on September 7, 2004 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

I’m a pilot and i do compleatly disagree with the airline i mean led’s bloody hell. you can use your phone on a plane but you just won’t get a signal it won’t do ANYTHING to the plane. but i have used my ipad 2 on a plane but hid it everytime a stewert comes

Posted by Ciaran Dawson on May 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3