Agent 18 debuts Shield 4 iPod nano | iLounge News

Agent 18 debuts Shield 4 iPod nano

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Sunday, October 2, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageAgent 18 has introduced the Shield 4 iPod nano, a clear Polycarbonate cover for the iPod nano. The snap on/off design allows access to the nano’s hold switch, headphone port, and dock connector without the need to remove it from the case. The shell also provides protection for the screen, and access to the click wheel. The Agent 18 Shield 4 iPod nano sells for $19.99 and will ship on October 12.

« JAVOedge announces JAVOScreen for iPod nano

Microsoft demos Xbox 360-to-iPod connection, notes limits »

Comments

This looks like a winner.

My complain with Agent18’s case was the fact that you couldn’t dock iPod with the case on. It looks like this one can do it without removing the case.

I’m getting one.

Posted by sgr on October 3, 2005 at 12:18 AM (PDT)

Well I think it looks great… Still, the review for this one almost writes itself. If the entire lower edge is exposed, it’s “exposes bottom edge of iPod to scratches”, otherwise it’s probably “lower holes only big enough for Apple’s dock connector, not compatible with many in-car accessories, larger headphone plugs won’t fit”. Throw in an “entirely exposes click wheel” together with an “adds thickness to the iPod nano, which may bother some users” and the job’s done! wink

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on October 3, 2005 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

Won’t all cases add heft and thickness to anything?

cellphone, ipod, camera, pda?  Cases always add thickness.  Do we really need to add this to every review?

Posted by DUH! on October 3, 2005 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

The only nano cases that are going to get knocked for thickness are the ones that are tripling or quadrupling its size. One of the easiest ways to do this is to drop a big, non-detachable belt clip onto the back. Certain things like that, which worked in the iPod mini market, are not going to fly in this one.

With a few exceptions, companies that are rushing out iPod nano cases are pausing to think about what distinguishes this iPod in consumers’ minds from its predecessors. (This is a very scratch-attractive iPod being marketed on its radical miniaturization. Do people really want a big thick case for it?) The reason is that most of these initial designs were readied before the nano was actually introduced, on the assumption that it would be a color iPod mini, and then tailored downwards in size once people found out what it actually looked like.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 3, 2005 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

“Do people really want a big thick case for it?”

Yeah,actually I do. The nano isn’t too small as far as up/down but it is a tad bit too thin.

Everybody is obsessed with size. I love the nano but I wish it were double in thickness.

So,yes,I want a case that adds a little bulk to it…positive bulk that makes the nano feel a little more substantial in your hand.

Posted by Homescoop on October 3, 2005 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

Agreed that a little is good, but a lot isn’t.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 3, 2005 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

I still use the original beltclip black fabric case that came with my 3G.  It fits my new 20G U2 iPod just fine, and it doesn’t add much bulk, but lets me clip it on my belt when I need to, and it also clips conveniently in my car to keep it in place when I’m using it there.  Simple.  Effective.

All these cases offered by these dozens of companies all seem to be too much.  They take away from the simple design of the iPod that makes it attractive in the first place…

Posted by m.sherman on October 3, 2005 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

wow this case might be the nano case i’ve been waiting for.  i have been looking at the a1 metal case for the nano but you have to remove it from the case everytime you want to charge or synch it.  but this case allows much more freedom without sacrificing protection and style.  plus i’m not sure if i’m not able to bring myself to pay 50 bucks for a metal case :( nevertheless, i can’t wait till you guys review this one!

Posted by michael on October 3, 2005 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

What I would love is a sportcase like the Apple Shuffle case - ie one that seals but is relatively easy to open and with a neck cord and hinge at the TOP. Set the nano playing, close the case, pull on your running shoes and go sweat all over it. Perfect.

Posted by dguy on October 3, 2005 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

I’m with dguy.  The Nano would gain even more customers if a case like the shuffle sport case existed.

Posted by Brad on October 3, 2005 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

I’m with dguy too. I sold my shuffle and its sport case in favor of nano. I use armband in the gym for now, which works fine, but am waiting for a good sport case not to worry about sweat, possible scratches and stuff.

Posted by abai on October 3, 2005 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

As a distance runner, I think the iPod shuffle is the ideal thing to use in conjunction with the Sport Case.  I will use the iPod nano for other types of activity, and also want a waterproof case.  I understand that Otterbox will have their nano case ready in 12/05.

Posted by dewarner on October 3, 2005 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Dguy should be designing for Apple!! PLUS, I see we all seem to agree! All we want is a case that will protect from scratches ( yes, the screen too OBVIOUSLY!) and let you wear it around your neck if you want to!  I mean how hard is that for someone to come up with??

Posted by Ipodfanatic on October 3, 2005 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

i assume you cannot connect a lanyard to this?

Posted by boochydog in lawrence, ks on October 3, 2005 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

this looks way better than those stupid nano books that came out, this is 30 bucks cheaper and i think that this type of case makes a lot more sense, you can protect and have control it at the same time

Posted by ipod_mini1987 on October 3, 2005 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

I like the look and price of this case. However, I absolutely have to have some way to attach it to my jeans, whether that be a belt clip or some other device. I mostly listen at work and need both hands free to do my job. So, it looks like my search continues.

Posted by Butch Hauke on October 3, 2005 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

Wow, this case finally got me.  I just ordered one… hopefully I will receive it soon.  I was so set on getting the Nano Tubes, but Apple really screwed it up by making me wait.

Now I have my Ipod covered with the Invisible Shield, and it will go into this clear shield once I receive it… double protection!

Posted by Andy on October 3, 2005 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

Andy, please let me know if the iPod Nano will go into this case with the invisibleshield installed.  I’m very curious as I have heard that it is big enough that it will cause some iPods not to fit in tightly fitting cases.

Posted by Devin on October 3, 2005 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

I love the look of this case, but would like the option of a belt clip or a lanyard attachment. So, I contacted Agent18 customer support and they wrote me back:

“Thank you for your e-mail. We are planning on releasing a second version of the shield for the nano in late October—this sheild will have a band/clip and hopefully fulfill your needs. Please check back soon.

PR, Agent 18 “

As of now, I’m using the zCover nano case which is working fine, but will definitely get the new version of this case when it comes out. that is, unless Contour Design releases something soon b/c I LOVED ther iSee mini!

Posted by Sanjin in Baton Rouge, LA, USA on October 3, 2005 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

This case looks great but what if you get some dust or dirt under it?  When you want to remove the case it looks like the screen may get scratched.

Posted by Jeff on October 3, 2005 at 9:42 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >