Agent 18 debuts Shield 4 iPod nano | iLounge News

Agent 18 debuts Shield 4 iPod nano

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Sunday, October 2, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageAgent 18 has introduced the Shield 4 iPod nano, a clear Polycarbonate cover for the iPod nano. The snap on/off design allows access to the nano’s hold switch, headphone port, and dock connector without the need to remove it from the case. The shell also provides protection for the screen, and access to the click wheel. The Agent 18 Shield 4 iPod nano sells for $19.99 and will ship on October 12.

« JAVOedge announces JAVOScreen for iPod nano

Microsoft demos Xbox 360-to-iPod connection, notes limits »

Comments

I should receive mine around the 14th, and I will let you guys know if Invisible Shield fits under it.  If it does, then it will settle most of the concerns that people have right now (scratched screen during removal & unprotected bottom).

Posted by Andy on October 3, 2005 at 9:56 PM (PDT)

Wow, this case will be awesome if it supports the invisible shield and has the band and clip accessory.

Posted by Devin on October 5, 2005 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

I received my Shield 4 today and I’m very pleased with it. For me, using it really enhances the experience of having a nano, because before I had any case at all I was afraid to take the nano out. The first case I got was the ezgear4u one, and while I was pleased with the way it protected the nano, I was constantly worrying about the removable screen protector popping out and getting lost—which it did once. Also, the rubberyness of that kind of case makes it difficult to slide the nano in and out of a pocket. The Shield 4 covers pretty much the entire nano while letting me see it; the click wheel is unprotected but that’s a small price to pay for not having to worry about a removable screen protector. And the outside of the case is smooth plastic, so it goes in and out of a pocket easily.

The only concern I have was the trouble I initially had getting the nano into the case. It’s an extremely tight fit, which is good in one sense because the nano doesn’t rattle around inside the case, but I was worried about scratching the nano while it was going in. I’m also worried about scratching the nano when I remove it, except that for the time being I don’t see myself wanting to do that.

Posted by navamske on October 17, 2005 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

i bought this shield.  slipped the ipod nano in, and now my nano has several straight scratches on its screen from the case.  beware.

Posted by sam on October 18, 2005 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

The important thing to know about the shield is that it is 3 separate pieces.  There is a Front, Back, and Bottom.  Removing the bottom is simple, but due to some vague instructions it is not clear that the Front and Back are separate items designed to come apart.  There is a small notch in the top right corner which can be used to gently pry the case open.

I have 2 cases with identical mold lines inside the front half, which actually appear like scratches when you look at it.  (There is also a small diagonal line from the mold, but it is far less noticeable.)  The finish on the case is a matte surface, similar to the texture of the click wheel.  It is not clear like the photos at agent18.com imply.

I would recommend this case.  It does not add a lot of bulk or weight to the nano.  I’m finally carrying the nano around without worrying about fingerprints and such.

Take a look at some photos of one of my Agent 18 shields in action here: http://homepage.mac.com/erikw/nano/PhotoAlbum35.html

Posted by Erik W on October 18, 2005 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

Erik, I also received my Agent18 Shield this week for my nano. I really like it. Good protection, not too bulky, allows nano to be visible. There was a small piece of plastic overlay on the back cover of the Shield. Is that supposed to be an overlay for the nano’s screen before enclosing it in the Sheild casing? I assumed it was so I put it on the nano’s screen and then enclosed the nano in the Shield casing, but I don’t care for the distortion that the thin overlay causes. I would like to open the Shield casing and remove the thin piece of overlay plastic from the nano’s screen and put the nano bare back into the Shield.

Posted by Dave S on October 19, 2005 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

On Agent18.com, they have a PDF showing how to take the nano out without scratching:

http://www.agent18.com/images//product/Removal Instructions Nano Shield.pdf

Posted by Ben on October 20, 2005 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

question:  will the nano with the agent 18 shield fit in an armband?

This is my first ipod and I have no clue about all of the accesories.  But I really like the shield(my sister has one on her mini) and I want to be able to use the nano at the gym, but don’t want to have to be changing cases all of the time, especially if taking it in and out of the shield may cause some scratching.

Any advice is greatly appreciated:)

Posted by Cat on October 24, 2005 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

Ordered one of their Nano cases earlier this week - they’ve mucked up delivery (the UPS delivery indicates the item was delivered to some address in Ontario, California, instead of Toronto, Ontario, Canada) and are not responding to emails, so I have to give them an F for their order process. The case looks nice - maybe someday it’ll arrive.

Posted by Greg on October 28, 2005 at 2:53 PM (PDT)

Still nothing back from Agent 18 in regards to their incorrect delivery. UPS claims the package was delivered successfully to the address they were given, which was in Irvine, California (any iLoungers get an iPod nano case unexpectedly?) and that’s about 2000 miles from the address I live at, and was expecting the delivery, in Toronto!
They also do not reply to emails, so I fianlly called my credit card company, showed them the delivery details, and they’re preparing the documents to have the purchase annulled - maybe THAT will invoke a response.
So, buyer beware on the Agent 18 website - Great products, sure, but utterly crap customer service if something goes wrong.

Posted by Greg on October 31, 2005 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Just got a nano.  Amazing technology and beautiful.  But it looks like apple designers consciously chose a finish that would show every little fingerprint and scratch just so they could then sell us covers…which would change the looks of ths unit.  Am I paranoid?

Posted by jj on October 31, 2005 at 6:53 PM (PDT)

I join Cat in saying that it’d be great if someone made an armband that worked with the Shield. That’s my only gripe about it right now.

Posted by Michael on November 17, 2005 at 3:28 PM (PDT)

This is the worst case ever. i just purchased it and to my disappointment it did exactley the opposite of what a case should do, it scratched my nano with really deep straight lines acroos the entire front of it. the bottom of the case snaps off so you can dock it, and when I went to undock it the case came up but my ipod stayed in the dock resulting in gotjic like slashes on the front. then when I went to take the bottom off later to dock it again the bottom peice stuck to my i pod and pulled it down the case scratching it again. I have had this case for a day and have gotten more scratches in one day then the 4 month period I have it for. I am pissed.

Posted by jack Goudzward on December 25, 2005 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

This case is a sweet deal considering it protects my iPod from scratches and various damage. The only bone I have to pick with this is that there are two minor lines that run down the top shell, thus making it appear that there is a glitch in my display. Overall I’m happy with the porduct.

Posted by bkwhite7 on January 4, 2006 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

hey andy - does the nano fit into the case with the invisible shield?  please let me know.  thanks.

Posted by sharon on January 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2