Airport Express can charge iPod | iLounge News

Airport Express can charge iPod

Reader Chris Whittier has discovered that the Apple Airport Express can charge the iPod.

“After seeing some people asking about it, I just randomly plugged my iPod mini into the Airport Express to see what happens (the USB port of course). Surprisingly enough, the Express CHARGES the iPod. So to answer that question, you CAN charge your iPod using the Airport Express (which negates my need to tote an extra power charger when traveling.)

Now if Apple could only have a way to pass through the Audio to the Express from the iPod when it’s plugged in, that would be a killer little firmware update.”

Editor’s Note:  This likely applies only to USB-chargeable iPods (4G and Mini).  The 3G does not charge via USB.

« How to turn your iPod into an infrared remote

iTunes coming to Motorola cell phones »

Comments

No this won’t draw too much current through the AE as USB is limited to 500mA on EVERY port unless you have modified ports (BenQ Joybooks have a proprietary system where their external CD drives draw 1.5A from a JoyBook USB port)

Posted by Talez on July 29, 2004 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

as long as u have ur songs ect backed up u dont need to worry about unplugging ur ipod from the port. most of the time nothin bad happens.

hey, this is off the subject but are the bost triports any good? if there are any audiophiles or users out there lemme kno. thanx.

Posted by laxman2211 in us on July 29, 2004 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

I have a question: What if I installed my original ITUNES on one computer but I know want to use ITUNES on another computer. It keeps saying that it will erase all my music files if I choose to use the new computer. I wannan know a way to keep my files and still add new files or even just play around with my old files

Posted by Anna in Switzerland on August 6, 2004 at 12:13 AM (PDT)

Posted by Anna in Switzerland on August 6, 2004 at 12:14 AM (PDT)

need a lot of help jus bought an ipod and I seem to have problems already. I bought the usb/firewire cord my models a 15gb it wont charge it up at all. It shows me the battery with a hazard mark over it. Is my battery corrupted already ?

Posted by Val on August 19, 2004 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

any body knows how to play songs from Ipod while its charging through airport express?  mine displays ‘do not disconnect’.

Posted by walker on September 8, 2004 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

Can i get a usb 2 firewire cable for the ipod 4 gen with click wheel and snyc it with usb 2 can charge it with the firewire cable in the wall socket? will that cause any damage? to pc or ipod.

my usb 2 card does not reconisge the ipod it just shows the battery mark with a hazzard on it. everythign i connect it to the pc. i have left it charging for 24 hours on the mains to charge it.

it wont turn on if i dont have it plugged in? does this mean there is something wrong or is it just not been configured yet.

Emial me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Vicki on September 18, 2004 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

hi people,
my ipod doesnt charge whilst connected to the firewire port on my laptop. is it possible that firewire ports on LAPTOPS arent powered?

i want to transfer large amounts of songs in one go, isntead of havign to stop transfer and recharge the battery inbetween!

thanx,
sameer

Posted by ipod not charging via firewire on my laptop! on September 29, 2004 at 7:50 PM (PDT)

Yes..it is quite likely that your laptop firewire isn’t powered.  If it is an itty-bitty connector…then it is a 4-pin fire wire connector that does not have the necessary pins to provide power.  The bigger firewire ports (6-pin) that Macs have builtin and that sometimes are on PCs do have the two necessary pins.

Posted by George on October 25, 2004 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

Just got a new ipod.  Got the usb port connected to my computer.  How do I know if the Ipod is charging?

Posted by Naomi on June 13, 2005 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

What I’d like to be able to do is use the USB port on the Airport Express to dock my iPod, so that I can copy files to the iPod from my laptop without having to physically attach the iPod to my system.

I have my Airtunes connected to my stereo, and I have an iPod dock that’s also connected to the stereo. This is great for listening to either one, but to actually load songs onto the Nano I have to either dig out a usb cable and move the laptop to the stereo, or search for the connector that came with my Nano and plug the nano into the laptop. Not exactly convenient.

Charles.

Posted by Charles on January 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

When i plug in my ipod touch, it works but when i turn the ipod to sleep, it stops charging and the charges agian.

Posted by frank on June 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2