AirTunes, wireless iTunes music streaming; iTunes 4.6 coming soon | iLounge News

AirTunes, wireless iTunes music streaming; iTunes 4.6 coming soon

picMacMinute reports that “Apple today introduced AirPort Express, “the world’s first 802.11g mobile base station that can be plugged directly into the wall for wireless Internet connections and USB printing, or thrown into a laptop bag to bring wireless freedom to hotel rooms with broadband connections.” Airport Express also features analog and digital audio outputs that can be connected to a stereo and new AirTunes music networking software that wirelessly streams music to any room in the house. AirPort Express features a single piece ultra-compact design weighing 6.7 ounces, and will be available to Mac and PC users in July for US$129. AirTunes requires the next version of iTunes (iTunes 4.6), which is expected to be available later this week as a free download.”

« How does AirTunes work?

MyPodPuter offers iPod install service »

Comments

Very cool !
Excellent idea and small.
Go Apple.

Posted by Lucky714x on June 7, 2004 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

Holy crap thats awsome!

The audio output is such a good idea and you can have multiple AirPort expresses in diffrent rooms and select the rooms from iTunes.

Posted by Ariza on June 7, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Awesome! Now they just need AirPort Express with TV-out and an iPhoto update so you can have a slideshow on your TV wirelessly!

Posted by kainjow on June 7, 2004 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

but does that mean the computer has to have wi-fi in the first place?

Posted by interesting on June 7, 2004 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

You have to have a wireless card to work with it. See http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

Posted by kainjow on June 7, 2004 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Will it be sold in the UK? Will it work in the UK?

Posted by Guest on June 7, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

coooooool

Posted by armless on June 7, 2004 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

Will this work with other 802.11g networks or just the Airport Extreme?

Posted by Guest on June 7, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I’m pretty sure it’ll be sold in and work in the UK. Why wouldn’t it?

Posted by Daniel Kennett on June 7, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Per the specs, it will act as a base station (say in a hotel) by connecting it to the ethernet port in the hotel room, then using a wireless card let you connect.  Or as a network extender (within range but not physically connected to the network). Pretty nifty and in such a small device.  So will there be an iPod add-on to use it wireless to stream to a stereo? I know iTrip lets you do this on an FM band already.

Posted by Leo Wiggins on June 7, 2004 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Good…  waiting for the next itteration however…

1.  I have doubts that you will need a wireless card to use the device.  It includes a 10/100 port, so if you have a wireless router, or a LAN base configuration, I’d expect the card to work… it doesn’t make sense to purchase a wireless card for my desktop for this item to work with it.

2.  Other devices read media off of your network, thus your workstation would act like a file server.  Apple’s solution requires a lot of server side services to allow audio thru…  Maybe I want to listen to music in my living room while someone else uses my workstation for some other purpose…  maybe even listen to a different iTunes playlist.  Apple’s solution looks like music is simply streamed from the workstation to the audio jack, not allowing any control over the playlist or offsetting decryption of the files to the Airport Express.

Simple, clean, and easy to configure…

However, being a server side technology, it doesn’t do anything more than extend the range of your workstation’s speakers for a heavy price.

I’ll keep waiting till I have a wireless device able to decode AAC, and JPG files for my living room.

Posted by John on June 7, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

I wonder if this will work if your computer is hooked up to a network that has a wifi AP on it. It looks pretty neat either way, and depending on how good the range is, it looks like it could be good for just plug and play wifi extenders as well…

Posted by Thejavaman1 on June 7, 2004 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

why wait until the device to decode AAC and JPG files?  Your computer will do that for you and the stereo will simply play whatever you want from the playlist you selected.  It is definitely a very good utilization of wireless technology.

Posted by ililililil on June 7, 2004 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Sounds like there’s a pretty good chance that the next generation iPod will be WiFi compatible.  Cool!

Posted by drewmcd24 on June 7, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

For music streaming, Squeezebox is cooler, has been around for more than a year, works on both PCs *and* Macs (and even Linux), and includes a remote and a display.

Posted by Squeezebox on June 7, 2004 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

Squeezebox may have a remote and a display, but Airport Express is a full-blown 802.11g base station (access point) that can also be used for music streaming.  To me, that’s FAR more compelling.

I get an Airport Extreme base station (only 10 clients not 50 but really who needs 50 for home use) that I can use at home AND take with me on trips, an Airport range extender (for my already existing Airport network), and on top of that I can plug my stereo into this little puppy and play whatever is playing on my TiBook (equipped with Airport card).  Way cool, IMHO.

M

Posted by Marian Petrides on June 7, 2004 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

Squeezebox is neat but it’s more expensive.  It also doesn’t add the features of printer sharing and acting as a router.  Squeezebox does have the LED screen though!

Posted by street_hawk on June 7, 2004 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

I don’t think this device acts as a router.  It can be used to extend the network, but you still need a separate router (Airport Extreme)

Posted by ililililil on June 7, 2004 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

it’s pretty exciting, but I agree that it should have TV out for the next iteration.

Still even to have a wifi basestation that small and mobile, then a printer share and music stream fxn on top is quite nice.

Posted by Starboard on June 7, 2004 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

——I’m pretty sure it’ll be sold in and work in the UK. Why wouldn’t it?——

Aren’t wireless devices gov’t regulated? Wouldn’t Apple need to got have this approved by each gov’t.?

Also, its got a US plug… can that plug be quickly swaped for a UK version? Can it handle the different voltage?

Sorry if this is a foolish question.

Posted by Guest on June 7, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »