AirTunes, wireless iTunes music streaming; iTunes 4.6 coming soon | iLounge News

AirTunes, wireless iTunes music streaming; iTunes 4.6 coming soon

picMacMinute reports that “Apple today introduced AirPort Express, “the world’s first 802.11g mobile base station that can be plugged directly into the wall for wireless Internet connections and USB printing, or thrown into a laptop bag to bring wireless freedom to hotel rooms with broadband connections.” Airport Express also features analog and digital audio outputs that can be connected to a stereo and new AirTunes music networking software that wirelessly streams music to any room in the house. AirPort Express features a single piece ultra-compact design weighing 6.7 ounces, and will be available to Mac and PC users in July for US$129. AirTunes requires the next version of iTunes (iTunes 4.6), which is expected to be available later this week as a free download.”

« How does AirTunes work?

MyPodPuter offers iPod install service »

Comments

I’m not sure if this could be done but that USB 2.0 for the printer, could it later be used for something else?

Maybe Apple or a 3rd party will come out with accesories like an Infrared receiver for a Remote so you can change the music?

Connect a screen/devise that shows the track that is playing etc?

Connect your iPod right to the Airport express?

Posted by mconroy on June 11, 2004 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

Connect your iPod to the Airport Express? WHAT? To do what???

Posted by Joe Shmoe on June 14, 2004 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

great idea ...... but ....
anyone know how to stream from ipod wireless to stereo receiver with 802.11g

Posted by MADMAX on July 2, 2004 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

>> “would it be possible still to stream my music to the airport express? In essence it would be
my mac—-> router—-> airport express. any of you think this would be possible?”

Actually this is most likely very possible… People don’t seem to get the fact that all these services are just streams of certain protocols. (RTSP, I believe, according to http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?AirTunes) What this means is that you can stream (play music) in pretty much any situation as long as there is a physical (or wireless) network connection. It doesn’t matter if you’re connected to hubs, switches, wireless bridges, or any other kind of networking equipment (except firewalls or in some cases a router).

Posted by avguy on July 5, 2004 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

>> “Am I right the airport express ethernet port is only WAN meaning it will only plug into a cable modem??”

Not quite… Of course I haven’t actually used one (they haven’t shipped yet..) , but there are a couple things that separate a “WAN port” from a “LAN port.” In the Airport Express’s case, the ethernet port is most likely configurable to have NAT (a type of firewall for high speed connections, appropriate for connecting to a WAN) or no NAT, which would be the best for a LAN or connecting to another computer directly. There is also a matter of port speed. Sometimes to save money, “WAN Ports” (usually on routers) will work at a reduced speed because the internet only comes in so fast and to put a full speed ethernet port is overkill. If the Airport Express has a reduced speed (10 Mb/sec) port, it doesn’t really effect you because there’s no way any of the services that the Airport can provide will make use of the full speeds of faster ports.

>> “Would I be able to use it in my collage room, there is a LAN point in each room. can I plug a cable from that point to the airport express and get wireless net working????”

Yup! Absolutely… but there’s a couple things to keep in mind. If your school requires people to register their MAC addresses, you’ll have to get the Airport Express’s MAC address registered. (This is becoming less and less common now, so I wouldn’t worry about it..) The other crucial thing to make sure is that you have DHCP turned off. People often make this mistake and it can really piss off network administrators. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is a service that will dynamically assign IP addresses to computers on a network. Chances are your school has an advanced subnet setup and enabling the DHCP server on the airport would probably screw things up for them. The only way to get around that would be to configure NAT, but unless you’re familiar with port mapping, that would cut you off from a lot of local services (file servers, shared printers, etc…)

Sorry I tend to ramble… Hope this helps!!

Posted by avguy on July 5, 2004 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

I have been using a Macbook pro for about 2 yrs now and have had my iphone3G for a year and have recently upgraded to the iphone 4.  I have asked everyone I knew, Apple online,Best Buy, the Geek Squad and other iphone and ipod users about being able to use my old but expensive Bose Acumass speakers to play all of my ipod music.  I was never told about this Airport Express thingy.  Consequently, I paid over $100 for a dock with speakers in order to be able to listen without an earphone.  So before I shell out another $100, I want to make sure I understand about the Airport Express.  Am I correct in thinking it will use my mac to get itunes to play my music through my Bose speakers?  Does it plug directly into the speakers or into my receiver?  If this works it would be fabulous.

Posted by Lillie Bender on July 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages « First  <  3 4 5