All Duke University freshmen to get new iPods | iLounge News

All Duke University freshmen to get new iPods

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, July 19, 2004
News Categories: iPod

MacMinute is reporting that “as part of a pilot program, Duke University has teamed up with Apple to give iPods to all 1,800 incoming freshmen this fall. The fourth generation iPods will be pre-loaded with school calendars and other information. Students will also be able to download supplementary class material in addition to being able to play music.” Lucky Blue Devils. Will these iPods be used for Intro to Copyright Law, or Music Appreciation 101?

« Apple exec: No plans for 60GB iPod. Period.

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released »

Comments

For the benefit of non-USians, could someone please explain what is this “Ive League” term? What does that mean? Why does it mean so much?

My college is 800 years old and delightfully uncluttered with messy underbrush or ugly ivy.

Posted by Ivy What Now You Say? on July 20, 2004 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

just another reason to hate DUKE!!!  its cool for apple though good marketing…  hope they offer some serious discounts in the educational market other than that $30 discount given to other schools

Posted by CarpetRyd on July 20, 2004 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

I have to agree with otheres again.  Who use’s their iPod’s calendar for this?  I don’t think I have ever touched the calendar on mine, and I had it the last two semesters of college.
Agree with that paper calendar thing.  My university gave us paper calendar books when I entered and it worked.  Take a note people.
I would also be extremely pissed if I were an upperclassman.  But that’s just me.
And like someone else said, they should be giving out computers instead.  Something that people can use FOR school.  Blah.

Posted by Layla on July 20, 2004 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

To the poster who asked what Ivy League is, I wasn’t quite to sure myself so I looked it up.  Ivy League is a name thats used to describe 8 universitys and they are:Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale

The schools got together and called themselves this because they wanted to maintain academics while also “reaffirming their intention of continuing intercollegiate football in such a way as to maintain the values of the game.”  They coined this term in 1936.  Hope that helped.

Posted by Laya...again on July 20, 2004 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

ivy league is also generally used to describe the top universities in the US.  people want to go to an ivy league school because it is the “best” education you can get.  it’s also very, very expensive and populated by a lot of very, very rich people.  But most of them have large endowments so they can afford to shell out 30K in grants to some kids, bringing the cost down to the level of a smaller private institution (or even an expensive public one.)

Posted by cc on July 20, 2004 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

technically the ivy league is just a sports conference, but yes, it’s also synonymous with “really good education.”  however, depending on who you listen to, there are schools like stanford, duke, and mit which aren’t ivies but as good, if not better, than them.

Posted by lex on July 20, 2004 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

Maybe I truly am an old Geezer seeing that it seems most of you are still in college. This whole duke thing reminds me of the movie ‘Real Genius’ about this 15-year-old kid at an MIT/Caltech-esque school. There is this one montage which includes scenes of this class, and each time they show it, more and more students are replaces with tape recorders (as in casette tapes, I hope some of you know what those are). Until the professor himself plays a tape of his lecture, because no one is going to class anymore.

I wonder if that will have this effect? I wonder if professors will now tape their lectures and then have students download them - which will further prompt them to cut class - because the lecture is on my iPod.

Posted by OldGeezer on July 22, 2004 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

Good one, OldGeezer!  I have a better idea, how about Apple and Duke get together and distribute what it would have cost both companies among ALL THEIR STUDENTS.  Wouldn’t all the students be better served that way?

Posted by Maria D on July 22, 2004 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

Although I wish my dinky little university in central Minnesota gave me a free iPod, I’m glad I’ll be one of the only people walking around campus with one.  The “cool” factor of having an Ipod is greatly diminished if a quarter of the student body have them…

Posted by prometheus on August 20, 2004 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Sounds like a bunch of ######## to me…
You jealous?

Posted by mad mango in Hotlanta, GA on August 20, 2004 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

The Ivy League is an athletic conference.  It has nothing to do with academic standards.

Posted by Big Ten Grad on August 20, 2004 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Hey you big Dukies—check out my “free” welcome present

(1GB ddr for $120)

Posted by WooStevens on August 20, 2004 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

yeah, i’m really jealous of a computer running xp.

ww duke ‘88
apple owner since march

Posted by willywoody on August 21, 2004 at 3:00 AM (PDT)

right… apple computers—- i’d rather stare at a piece of cardboard

Posted by yeahRight on August 21, 2004 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

all you people who are complaining about duke getting these ipods and how its unfair and how you have crappy jobs. heres an idea, work your ### off in school so you can get into a good school like duke, get a scholarship and from there on get a well paying job. stop ######## and moaning cause you didnt have the smarts to do the work in high school well. duke sux only cuz u cant go there so shut the #### up its rather sad how immature people can be. your probably gonna start bashin me now becasue i pointed out the obvious. well have fun w/ that

Posted by Robb Pearson. on August 21, 2004 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

how hard is it to get into duke anyways? I go to school in Canada and basically all I needed was a good average and write a couple of essays to my school.

I heard the SATs are pretty hard, but I know someone who took the SAT for fun and got like 1500 on it and he didn’t really study too much.

Posted by canadian eh! on August 22, 2004 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard a university doing. Beside’s the fact that an IPOD is not an essential learning item, most students who go to Duke can probably afford, or already have, their own iPod. Most of these ipods are just going to wind up an Ebay making more money for these Devils.

Posted by Not A Blue Devil on August 30, 2004 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2