Alpine Announces Car Stereo w/iPod Display & Control | iLounge News

Alpine Announces Car Stereo w/iPod Display & Control

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, January 6, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

“Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of high performance mobile electronics, will demonstrate at CES the world’s first solution that enables consumers to connect and control their iPod from their in-vehicle sound system.  Alpine’s iPod Ready strategy is part of the company’s overarching mission to create innovative in-vehicle electronics that are easier to use and provide great sound in the mobile environment.”

« Macworld: TEN Technology Announces naviPlay Bluetooth remote control

Apple’s 2004 Edition of 1984 Commercial »

Comments

Very cool.  I’ve been waiting for something like this.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 6, 2004 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

Sound pretty interesting. It seems Alpine will make a good combination with iPod.

Posted by MJ on January 6, 2004 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

Now THIS is a REAL incar solution! Especially as many car makers use Alpine units in their vehicles.

However.. it doesn’t solve the power problem.. and I have a feeling that it won’t use a line out.. just headphone out… However.. nothing a soldering iron and radioshack can’t fix smile

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on January 6, 2004 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

“The Alpine connectivity solution also provides charging of the iPod’s internal
battery.”

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on January 6, 2004 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

great idea. too bad i called them about it a few months ago and they said they did not foresee anything so i went ahead and installed a new Alpine Head Unit two months ago.

tis life, i’ll just have to convince the wife to let me spring for another head unit.

Posted by philldo on January 6, 2004 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

Prayers do get answered.

Posted by palexc on January 6, 2004 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

I think its a great idea.  Didnt see a date when it was gonna come out, didnt see a price

Posted by irtehpod on January 6, 2004 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Only thing is that an iPod makes a fancy car stereo like an Alpine system kind of redundant.

Would be better if OEM models had similar interfaces.  Supposedly, there’s another third party product coming which will use the CD changer control interface to provide similar functionality.

But it’s also going to be several hundred dollars, as I’m sure the Alpine solution will be.  But the wireless remote could be useful.

Posted by wco81 on January 6, 2004 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

This looks great, I hope it fits my Honda Pilot.  I just installed an audio adapter that connects to the head unit 6 disc CD changer port (since I don’t have one).  The cable comes out the bottom of the center console very descreetly and runs into my center arm rest glove box, where it plugs into a Belkin auto charger with a line output port and volume control.  Very cool.  Still need to pick up the iPod to select songs, change playlists, etc.  But I can adjust volume from my steering wheel.

Check this out:

Radio/steering wheel control of iPod
iPod music plays through CD changer port
Damage-free cradle mounting options

Integration: ICE-Link takes the place of your CD Changer and it operates like one.
iPod will be started when CD changer is selected on your head unit, and will be paused when other source is selected.

Track control from radio (and steering wheel controls if present): provided.

Posted by Gremz on January 6, 2004 at 8:53 PM (PDT)

you mean I have to give up my tape deck adapter?

Posted by Daddo on January 7, 2004 at 2:47 AM (PDT)

I’m so pedantic - shouldn’t the title be “Alpine”, not “Apline” wink

Posted by Dan Meineck on January 7, 2004 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

Is there any link to a picture of this yet?

Posted by Weasel on January 7, 2004 at 4:39 AM (PDT)

Here’s the reply from the marketing email address provided in the PR

Thank you for your interest in Alpine’s in-vehicle connectivity and control
solution for iPod digital portable music players. This mailbox has been
created specifically to hold your e-mail request for information regarding
Alpine’s iPod Ready interface kit.

No detailed product information is currently available. Your e-mail is
prioritized for early delivery of the iPod Ready product information by
return e-mail in the near future.

If you have asked a specific question or need further assistance with this
or another Alpine product please visit [url=http://www.alpine-usa.com]http://www.alpine-usa.com[/url] or contact our
Customer Service group by calling 1-888-628-4357.

Posted by Flippersaurus on January 7, 2004 at 5:36 AM (PDT)

for me, this is the big product announcement of MWSF - not the mini’s.

I’ve been waiting for this type of thing since I got my ipod a year ago…

Posted by me on January 7, 2004 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

All right, let’s have a guessing game about how much this will cost. (But guess low so when Alpine looks at this message board, takes the average of the guesses and adds $50 to be pricks about it that the price will be about right).

$150

Posted by Big D on January 7, 2004 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

$150 for an Alpine. i think not. try $400-$500 dollar range. especially if its gonna come with a remote. if your gonna expect Alpine quality then your gonna have to fork out the dough. its only fair.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on January 7, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

I’d say between $500-$650

Posted by joejoe on January 7, 2004 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

Yea, they probably think if you can afford the ipod that you can afford a nice stereo unit

Posted by irtehpod on January 7, 2004 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

that’s waht I was afraid of….I’ll probably just end up still using my tape adapter.

I hope they don’t make it ugly…it seems like so many aftermarket head units are terrible looking these days…

Posted by me on January 7, 2004 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

Eh, all the alpines pretty much look alike. The only differenceis the number of colors you can change them to. And yeah, they’re kinda ugly.

I want one where I can plug the ipod in like an old 8-track tape so it’s totally out of the way, not mounted anywhere, with a mic jack so I can still record notes as they come to me. And it should have a nice LCD screen to replace the ipod screen, preferably a touchscreen.

150 is nowhere close… just look on crutchfield at alpine products:
$2,199.99 for the one with a built-in LCD screen, 1200 for the next one down…
They do have them as low as $140 though. And the release referred to a ‘connectivity kit’ or something like that, so it’ll work in all models with the kit?

Posted by JC on January 7, 2004 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >