Alpine iPod interface info posted | iLounge News

Alpine iPod interface info posted

Alpine USA has recently posted information describing its new KCA-420i iPod Interface solution. “Introducing the KCA-420i,  the best in-vehicle interface adapter which allows you to cruise to your iTunes! Simply use the KCA-420i to plug in your iPod or iPod mini into a compatible 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit, and voil

« Etymotic announces new 6i Limited Edition Earphones

iPod nightclub coming to London »

Comments

Awsome!!!!!!

That means for as low as $300 (adaptor plus model# CDA-9825) you can play your iPod on a new Alipne unit in your vehicle; just pick a unit that has ai-net support.

I was expecting a price near $200 for the adaptor alone.  So BMW….........bugger off.

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on July 9, 2004 at 2:25 PM (CDT)

Wow and with the artist/song name in the actual display im liking this alot better than the BMW version. It’s also nice that it isnt specifically for one type of car.
Being able to acess all the song as opposed to a few user made playlists is a plus too.

Posted by an0therdumbsn on July 9, 2004 at 2:42 PM (CDT)

oh god….*creams thy pantaloons*....i wish i was old enough to have a car so i could buy that damn thing….grrr

Posted by krzysztof Sikorski on July 9, 2004 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

uhhh i just recently bought an Alpine CDDA-7998 and i bought a “$15.00” rca aux out adapter for it. “Alpine KCA-121B” why would i spend 100 dollars for the same setup. check it out here and look under “recommended accessories” its in there. now all i need is a 20 dollar gold RCA Audio - XwireGold from extrememac and im set. the signal will be clean and its all for less than 40 bucks.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on July 9, 2004 at 9:16 PM (CDT)

I’m currently using the KCA-121B adapter to play my iPod thru my Alpine 9815.  The advantage of the new iPod ready interface is that you can control the iPod thru the head unit controls and view playlist and make selections directly from the head unit controls or it’s remote and charge the iPod at the same time.  I’m hoping the new unit will work with my 9815.  I can see spending 100 bucks, but 100 bucks AND a new head unit, I can’t justify.

Posted by Post Op on July 9, 2004 at 9:36 PM (CDT)

I have the Alpine CDA-9835 and also have the $15 AUX input adaptor…..but that accessory only provides an audio input—it doesn’t allow me to control the iPod from the face of the Alpine CD player. This is NOT the same thing as the forhcoming Alpine iPod adaptor. That device, when it’s released, will allow control and navigation of the iPod, which can then be stored out of sight. Mine will live a quiet and dark life my glove box while I’m on the road.

They’re NOT the same thing.

Posted by toslink on July 9, 2004 at 9:42 PM (CDT)

this is AWESOME! It’s time to upgrade my car audio system.. so where can i pre-order one?!?!?!

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on July 9, 2004 at 9:49 PM (CDT)

why would i want to control my ipod thru the head unit? then whats the point of a wireless remote it comes with. the less i have to jab at my stereo the better. it might be a different setup i want but no less effective. all these damn companies trying to integrate there products seamlessly with the ipod. obviously this marketing works cause you guys are as happy as little school girls. nothing wrong with radioshacking a solution by yourself instead of letting someone else do all the work.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on July 9, 2004 at 11:28 PM (CDT)

Some people see the elegance of interfacing the iPod with the car radio…...and, well.others don’t.

Posted by toslink on July 9, 2004 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

It’s neat how the wheel on the head unit works like it does on the iPod to select songs etc.

Posted by street_hawk on July 10, 2004 at 7:39 AM (CDT)

Why would you want to use the head unit - For me 1 major reason… Security. You can have the Alpine system setup to connect to your iPod which is sitting in your glove box. If I pop down the shops etc I would not be at all worried about leaving it in the glove box as no-one would know its there or even connected. With a normal line-in you would have to have the unit on display and then take it with you or put it away but then people would see you doing that.

Posted by Rob_Quads on July 10, 2004 at 11:32 AM (CDT)

thats what the Clifford Matrix RS 1.1 alarm with autostart and engine kill is for rob_quads. there is a method to my madness.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on July 10, 2004 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

Jaguares,

How is autostart or engine kill going to stop someone from walking away with your iPod? No one listens to alarms going off.

Posted by podmania on July 10, 2004 at 5:14 PM (CDT)

If the ipod can interface with a alpine HU then the steering wheel remote controls allow you to control the ipod (in a limited fashion) without taking your eyes off the road or hands off the wheel.

I’d prefer that over Aux input anyday.

Posted by MINI me on July 11, 2004 at 2:20 AM (CDT)

It’a great that Alpine is addressing the market.  I’ve got my iPod hooked up thru the AUX right now, and will happily pay to have the upgrade.  Anything to help keep my eyes on the road…..

Posted by Sosha on July 11, 2004 at 11:26 AM (CDT)

Jaguares -> Not being funny but if your iPod is in the cabin no alarm is going to stop someone nicking it. 2 seconds and it would be thiers, OK an alarm may be going off but who takes note of alarms now - not many. When was the last time you challenged someone when you heard an alarm go off. Hold a set of keys in your hand and 90% of people just think “Oh hes set the alarm off getting into his car”

Alarms are only there to stop the casual theif. If the are pro’s they will get into your car whether its alarmed or not.

Posted by Rob_Quads on July 11, 2004 at 11:33 AM (CDT)

How do I know if my head unit is compatible?  I’m assuming it is being that it has AI-Net, but I’m not sure if it’s a “2004” model as per their website.  (I have a CDA-9807 BTW).

Posted by Aaron on July 11, 2004 at 7:09 PM (CDT)

I currently have an alpine CDA-9815, I am just wondering if this adaptor will work with it ? As far as I am aware this unit supports AI-Net.. so I’d assume it should work..  Im hopeful as I really don’t want to outlay more money for a new head unit + this adaptor…

Posted by Karupt on July 11, 2004 at 9:36 PM (CDT)

It needs a cradle rather than a holder and then having to plug a wire in when you put it in/take out of the car. Apart from that it does look cool

Posted by urban on July 12, 2004 at 5:53 AM (CDT)

Not that I won’t be getting one but the interface box is relatively huge at 6.25"x7.25"x1.375”. Are there tubes in the thing? A Tandy analog computer?

Posted by particleman on July 12, 2004 at 8:29 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >