Alpine ships Interface Adapter for iPod | iLounge News

Alpine ships Interface Adapter for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, September 28, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

“Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of high performance mobile electronics, has shipped its highly anticipated interface adapter that enables consumers to control and enjoy their iPod or iPod mini music library from their in-vehicle sound system.  The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod (model KCA-420i) enables users to experience superior sound and control of their iPod music using any of Alpine’s 2004 Ai-NET in-dash head units.  The KCA-420i is now available from authorized Alpine dealers for $100.”

« BTI developing iPod Auto/Air Power Adapter, more

ZVOX announces all-in-one-box audio system »

Comments

The authorized dealer in my region (Ontario, Canada) said it would 179.99 Canadian, which is a lot more than buying it for 100US and getting the exchange rate.  I suggest looking around a little to see if you can get it cheaper - some places may be charging more because it is a ‘limited quantity’

Posted by Rob on September 28, 2004 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

the only problem with this piece of kit, as far as i can see, is that an AI-NET headunit is supidly expensive.  will just have to wait till i graduate and get a decent job and a new car. ho-hum.

Posted by ritchie on September 28, 2004 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

Does anyone knows if this adaptor is going to be available at Circuit City?

Thanks!

Posted by n0nsense on September 28, 2004 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

AI-NET headunit is supidly expensive

Uh… didn’t you mean “stupidly?”  Really, if you’re going to call something stupid, you should spell check first.

Posted by jahaha on September 28, 2004 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

News Alert: 200 dollars is not expensive for a CD deck with Ai-Net controll. 200 dollars is a reasonable pricepoint for low-mid end car audio gear.

Posted by BigFil on September 28, 2004 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

installed mine today attached to a cda-9830.  seems to be working great.  only thing i can tell already is that scrolling through 400 artists is going to be a royal pain in the ###, the click wheel does NOT scroll fast enough which sucks…

best way to hook up the ipod though…

Posted by salparadi on September 28, 2004 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

Today a called audio express in phoenix, az and they told me it was $200.00 , i told them that on the alpine website said it was only 100.00, they said they could lower down the price to $129.00 . I called another store and they had it for $99.00.
Called back to audio express and they agree to sellit to me fot $99.00. I hate business that try to take advantage of people.

Posted by hb on September 28, 2004 at 2:43 PM (PDT)

If you hate businesses that do that, why give them the business?  They still make money at $99….  You have a choice, go to the other place and let the immoral company go to heck smile

Posted by walkabt on September 28, 2004 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

Does anyone have the ipod adapter with the IVA-D300 touchscreen alpine unit?  I’m wondering if you can use the touchscreen functionality to scroll and select songs.

Posted by chiman on September 29, 2004 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

I finally got it, I actually found it in ultimate electonics…
i took me 20 minutes to install, i love it…..
It works great, the only bad thing is that its not compartible with the dock.

Posted by hb on September 29, 2004 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

I’m convinced it’s Audio Express’ policy to mark-up everything at least $100. They price match no problem, but i’m sure they get a lot of unknowing suckers paying their raised prices. It’s easy for them to do that also, not having prices clearly marked. I used to buy everything from them, but my last transaction with them left me feeling sick - never again.

Posted by Steve on September 29, 2004 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

[url=http://www.crutchfield.com]http://www.crutchfield.com[/url] has them for $99. I bought two and had them shipped overnight. $208 total price shipping included.

Posted by Coolio on September 29, 2004 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

I think the whole cost of getting this functionality is just too high.

I decided to just do away with my tape/radio head unit all together and bought a Nakamichi 4ch 14wpch amp and drive it directly from the iPod headphone socket using the in-line remote that came with the 3Gen iPod to control things.

The output from the headphone socket is well able to drive the amp directly.

I had to make up a special cable to connect the iPod to all four inputs to the amp.  There is no ability to do L-R Rear-Front balancing with ease, as with a head unit, but the amps four channels have individual input level sensitivity adjustment so it was possible to set up the balance just fine, just not easy to change it while on the move wink

Cheapskate

Posted by cheapskate on September 29, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

cheapskate,

Get a SiK imp and use the line-level output for better sound quality.  If you’re using the headphone jack, you’re letting the iPod’s built-in amp degrade the sound.

Posted by yyoo on September 29, 2004 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

A question for those of you who installed it, can you control the music from the ipod it self?

Posted by iixer0ii on September 29, 2004 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

For those of you who have it - (mines on its way from Crutchfield so i can hook it up to my CDA 9835) - Does it have an AI-Net pass through so you can use it along with another Auxilary input ..?

Posted by HLS811 on September 29, 2004 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

Seems no stores near me(Northern New Jersey area) have them.  I’ll try again on Saturday when I get back from my trip out to Pennsylvania

Posted by MrBucket on September 29, 2004 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

jahaha ur stupid

Posted by jhdfaf on September 29, 2004 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

No, the ipod becomes like a hard drive, theres no access.

it takes the AI-Net connection, only if you have a spliter for the AI-Net you can have 2 things conected.

Posted by hb on September 29, 2004 at 8:32 PM (PDT)

YoYo

Thanks for the suggestion, but how would I vary the volume level then?

The ipod is directly connected to the line inputs of the amp.  The input sensitivity adjustment for each channel has to be done through small holes in the amp casing using a jewelers screwdriver.  Not something i would like to do while on the move ;-0

The headphone amp in the ipod is a lot better than some people think - i think.  I don’t use the supplied earbuds, I use a pair of Sony MDR-D77 headphones and can say for certain the headphone output is more than clean enough for a car environment.  I have monitor class speakers at home and can hear that the line output is a bit better than the headphone output - mostly in terms of low frequencies - but it is good enough for in a car if not driven flat out.

Thanks again for the thought.

Cheapskate

Posted by Cheapskate on September 30, 2004 at 1:56 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »