Altec Lansing inMotion iM7 revealed | iLounge News

Altec Lansing inMotion iM7 revealed

image

imageAltec Lansing has revealed its new inMotion iM7 portable audio speaker system for the iPod and iPod mini. While no announcement has been made by the company, an eagle-eyed member of the iLounge forums spotted an ad for the system in the latest issue of Sync magazine. A quick check of Altec Lansing’s website shows an uncompleted page for the product along with specs and pricing details, though no official photos as of this posting.

The inMotion iM7, which features a “bazooka style” design like some recent boomboxes, offers a built-in, adjustable iPod cradle, Neodymium drivers and tweeters, and a built-in subwoofer with XdB technology. The AC or battery powered device also includes a wireless remote control, S-video output for the iPod photo (allows you to play your photo slideshows on TVs while still connected to the speaker system), and an auxiliary input jack (for use with other audio devices). It will retail for $249.95. There’s no word yet on availability.

« iPodStyles offers back, Click Wheel protectors

Forums: Music, Notes, Full iPod, Speculation »

Comments

These look awesome!  I sure hope they sound as good as they are made out to be.  I have been looking for some iPod speakers for a while and these may just be them!

Posted by Mijman2 on May 29, 2005 at 1:46 PM (CDT)

Man, I would love to have that, but $249!

Posted by pakkman781 in TN on May 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

I agree, $249 is just way too much. I didn’t really like the last InMotion speakers which is why I opted for the Logic3 set. I do like my AL aluminum speakers for my G5, which are actually cheaper than these. But I guess you pay more for portability.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on May 29, 2005 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

I mean those speakers look pretty bad ass, but for $250, I would rather go out and get myself a little sony stereo.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on May 29, 2005 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

Really cool but $50 too much

Posted by iPodG5 in Ireland on May 29, 2005 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

Way too much. Cool, though. Did they skip iM4, iM5 and iM6? (Also, if it works for minis, I’m sure people wouldn’t want to spend the same amount or more than they paid for their iPod for speakers)

Posted by maxman on May 29, 2005 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

Not available: The specs. The pagew is STILL imcomplete! As reported up here. The company looks they don’t go to their proper site!!! I have astonished speakers, that i use rechargeable battery 12 volts 5 amps. also electric. I made assemble real hifi speakers: Creative sub and 2 spkrs. I opened to DISCOVER the real brand! cambridge ! Yes! I paid $50. I sound 30 RMS WATTS, NO distortion noticiable. I’m proud. I assemble all on a small platform. I put a handle. ...please don’t pay so much…or you’re enough rich…richer than me to send me an airplane ticket to Europe! Ah! Ah! You can buy an Cretive set…P.S. Maybe i’ll receive a trip ticket!

Posted by angelito in Québec, Canada on May 29, 2005 at 6:53 PM (CDT)

does anyone understand what angelito is saying? it’s all a jumble of words wow, trippy lol

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on May 29, 2005 at 7:27 PM (CDT)

They better be phenomenal, what with the Bose set up just $50 more.

Posted by sosha on May 29, 2005 at 7:54 PM (CDT)

Maxman, there is an iM4 model designed for portable CD players and other portable devices.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 29, 2005 at 10:44 PM (CDT)

Beautiful design, but overpriced as others have mentioned.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on May 30, 2005 at 1:17 AM (CDT)

maybe they are trying to surprise us with the iM5 and iM6 in the near future? who knows

Posted by john_ate in Bristol, UK on May 30, 2005 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

I would get that to carry around and blast!

Return of the Ghetto blaster? Only $550 this time around…

Posted by minty on May 30, 2005 at 7:05 PM (CDT)

For that price you could get a JVC KABOOM box which I’m positive will have twice as much power and much sound more like a real stereo then simple portable iPod speakers.  You’d also get to play CDs, use the radio, and even play a tape.

I have one :)  There is a small pouch on the shoulder strap to hold the remote, which you can plug in iPod in and run a line to the AUX input.

I bought this one about 7 years ago and it still thumps like crazy.

So your not playing so much for portability, but the fact that you can dock your iPod into it.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on May 31, 2005 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

Now THAT’s a feature set! Thanks for the Photo/TV support!

But not worth $249 to me, no matter how incredible the sound.

Posted by Nagromme on May 31, 2005 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

BTW a feature suggestion for these kinds of thing:

Have the iPod held in by a key or combination lock. Then the sheer size of the whole unit is some theft deterrence if you can’t quickly get the iPod out and slip it into a pocket.

(Yes, I know everyone would turn and look when the music stopped :) but sometimes the music is already not in use.)

Posted by Nagromme on May 31, 2005 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

I listened to this speaker system next to the Bose and the sound is comparable. I feel the cost is well justified and it’s portable. The Bose system is AC only.

Posted by Gary Brumley on December 13, 2005 at 9:57 PM (CST)

This is a really fantastic unit!

I was going to buy the Bose but the lack of audio input stopped that flat.  Then along came Altec Lansing, undercutting Bose by $50 and virtually matching it in sound quality PLUS the auxiliary audio input!!

This unit cranks!  You could easily host a party in a really good sized room with this unit the bass response would be more than sufficient.

The only flaws I find are:

1) The remote is particular (other reviewers note this also)
2) Bass & Treble controls on remote only (so don’t lose it!)
3) A dust cover is needed to cover the iPod cradle when no iPod is in it to better protect it.  I use a piece of white card board with some thin strips of velcro.

Posted by MIPOD on April 27, 2006 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

JUST BE HAPPY ENJOY FOREVER DON´T WORRY ABOUT THE PRICES

Posted by BE FREE on August 18, 2006 at 6:11 PM (CDT)