Altec Lansing introduces inMotion iM3 | iLounge News

Altec Lansing introduces inMotion iM3

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, August 24, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picAltec Lansing has released an update to its inMotion speakers for iPod named the inMotion iM3 Portable Audio System. The iM3 features: travel alarm clock when used with iPod; built-in docking station for charging and syncing; four custom-designed neodymium 28 mm micro drivers; MaxxBass(R) technology; wireless remote and built-in controls; 24 hours of continuous playback with four AA batteries; auto shut-down; and secondary input jack to connect other audio devices, including laptops, older iPods, and other MP3 players (cable included). The iM3 is available now at Apple Stores and Apple Store online for $179.00 and direct from Altec Lansing for $179.95.

« Piel Frama announces leather case for 40GB 4G iPod

Mac/Windows: PodGourmet 1.0 released »

Comments

The iBoom looks like a peice of junk.  If it’s anything like the rest of the products DLO makes it will sound like a cheap knock-off.

Posted by skip on August 26, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

I have the old model of these, and the speakers look exactly the same. They’ve just added some sort of grill over them. I’ve found that they sound much better if you use the iPod’s “Small Speakers” EQ setting.

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth on August 26, 2004 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Has anyone seen this?  This look good also. It’s the JBL Onstage.

Posted by Rhomboid on August 26, 2004 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

Yea, the JBL Onstage was on iPodLounge awhile ago too, but it’s not meant for portable use. It can only be powered by an adapter.

Posted by Tech-whizZ in Singapore on August 26, 2004 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

oooo that JBL looks good.  Not as compact as the IM3 but whichever one *sounds* better gets my money.

Posted by Kelly on August 28, 2004 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

No comment from Altec Lansing whether they have fixed the defective (yes, defective) docking line-out connector on the back of the inMotion system that lets you connect to your computer?!! It does not work properly, it is either a super slow Firewire transfer of songs from iTunes to the iPod - OR - freezes everything (iPod, computer, etc.) forcing a restart without being able to properly shut down.  And yes, this IM3 model should definitely have an FM radio built-in (there are tiimes when I need to listen to the radio and not the iPod…)

Posted by bjbear71 in PA on August 29, 2004 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

Sorry to see that we have here yet another oportunity for a company to make a few asthetic changes to a product and then wack a hefty price increase on it!  I have the previous product and I have found it is far from perfect (pretty though!).  If you want to listen to it up close and only making use of about 60%of the available volume control it works ok.  If the defect of massive distortion of the speakers in the upper 30% of the volume range is corrected in this new version I welcome it.  A price increase! — Catch a grip!  It seems anything with an ipod slot gives liberty to charge any price and guess what - us mugs go out and buy it.  Get a lead and connect your ipod to your typical ghetto-blaster and you will get a better sound.  Most people have one of those in the house! What sort of a cd Ghetto-blaster can you buy for $179?

By the way we complain about how software companies are using the change in year each year to tempt us to by “.....” 2003 and then “.....” 2004 with a couple of new features that have been programmed out for the last five years to keep us buying new versions like wee lap dogs. As far as I can see all the companies are at it! Can sombody tell me that Apple hadn’t the programming expertese last year or the year before to already include the features generation 4 has in the ipod. Interesting generation 4 in 2004 next year they may just call it ipod 2005.
Don’t get me wrong here (I love my Ipod and within the above restrictions the Atec Lansing works) but I think a lot of us (including myself)have to do some serious thinking about what really drives us to continue to go out and buy the latest products just cause they are the latest products and because they have a customised slot for an ipod!

Posted by Nigel on September 12, 2004 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

have anyone purchase at the apple stores?

Posted by dan on September 13, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

I purchased one of these units and am having some difficulty.  The sound is acceptable, but the remore will only control the volume of the IM3 itself, NOT the iPod functions (skip track, pause, etc.).  Anybody else having these problems?

BTW: 40gb iPod @ firmware 2.2

Posted by cersos on September 23, 2004 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

Taken directly from the product description - “How do you make the first portable audio system designed exclusively for the iPod even
  better? Make it smaller, sleeker, and add a remote control!”

That’s exactly the problem!

It’s only a total of .2” inches smaller than it was and still weighs the same as before.

So basically i’m paying like $80 more for a remote (that isn’t pictured anywhere) and a “sleeker” look.

I don’t think so tim.  I’ll pass.

Posted by frownonfun on September 26, 2004 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Has anyone heard the monster speakers that look like a double cd case or the sony’s that fold? I listened to the inMotion and iM3 side by side at the apple store in Pittsburgh and found the new one to have quite a bit more bass.  I bit on the steep price, as it seems a good solution for music on photo shoots.  Decent sounding tunes in a SMALL package.  The pile of photo gear is big enough without the boom box.  I have yet to try the AA power option, but I will say that they sound pretty darn good.  My only complaint aside from the price tag is that the 40G iPod (thicker) is made to rattle a bit against the speaker during bassy bits at higher volume.  Maybe the thinner models don’t do this?  The old old version had a rubber pad.  So a bit of improvised padding makes it work.  They do distort at the highest volumes, as do most tiny speakers.  But let’s face it, most systems are not their best at level 10.  The remote works as long as you’re within 8 feet, so what’s the point?  I mean exercise is a good thing right?  All in all I am happy with them, but now that I’ve seen the JBL Onstage, I may consider a switch (the apple store gives you 30 days thankfully to change your mind).  No batteries in the JBL, but 12 watts vs. the iM3’s 4 makes me want to hear it.  I would love to do a side by side with these two but the apple store doesn’t have the JBL on display.  It sees that vendors fight/pay for display space there just like at the grocery.  Maybe I can talk them into opening one up.  Maybe 20 MORE dollars gets you even better sound?  So many toys.  So little money.

Posted by carmon, the photog on September 30, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2