Altec Lansing intros black inMotion iM3 for U2 iPod | iLounge News

Altec Lansing intros black inMotion iM3 for U2 iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, December 13, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic Altec Lansing has announced the limited edition inMotion iM3 Black, a special version of its iM3 portable audio system designed to match Apple’s U2 iPod. Like the original white inMotion iM3, the black model offers a built-in iPod docking station for charging and syncing, and has four full-range micro drivers and “MaxxBass” technology that simulates a subwoofer. The system, which provides more than 24 hours worth of playback on four AA batteries, comes with a black wireless remote control, a universal power supply, a 3.5 mm stereo cable for auxiliary input from other audio devices, and a padded carrying case. The black iM3 is available now at Apple Stores and the online Apple Store for $179.

« iLounge Announces Free Music, Three Guides

Mix: 2G iPod dock, Grammys, Jobs, Rock Hall of Fame »

Comments

as pointless as black iTrip. What are they thinking? they could have released their products in two colors at the first place.

Posted by frankthetank on December 13, 2004 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

i would get that even if i don’t get a u2, its black color is pretty cool

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on December 13, 2004 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

why the hell would they release a black itrip or black inmotion speakers when the ipod was white?  who would buy them then?

now that theres the black ipod, they are making special accessories for it since people will buy it.

think it through frankthetank, its not that hard to comprehend.

Posted by zip22 on December 13, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

do colors make a huge difference? when you buy a TV, a computer and a cellphone, you make your decisions on whether the color matches? because your computer is black, do you insist on only purchasing black monitor? it is just an accessory. before u2 ipod, black cases already existed. what about headphones? you are not gonna buy dark color headphones because the color does not match?

I am glad to see that more colors are available, but not if it is for something that is the same as its previous verison but only with a different color.

Posted by frankthetank on December 13, 2004 at 3:31 PM (PDT)

frank…you def. got a point with the whole color thing…but ipod users like the whole white deal since its…well what makes the ipod stand out

Posted by jTizzle on December 13, 2004 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

> “do colors make a huge difference?”

They make a difference.  Maybe not huge, but it is certainly important.  Sometimes it can be the slight edge that a certain product needs for a person to buy it.

Don’t forget that a big part of the success of the iPod is the design of the device.  A lot of people (myself included) care very much about style and design.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on December 13, 2004 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

As an employee at best buy, I’d have to say… Yes color does make a difference.  When you buy computers and printers.  And headphone design is pretty important too.  The new sony ones look pretty bad, ear bud revolution!

Posted by Earl in New York on December 13, 2004 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

I bought a silver and black eMachines to match my silver and black ViewSonic monitor. wink

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 13, 2004 at 10:31 PM (PDT)

Black, white, pink, who cares! These things are overpriced by at least $125. Call it the vanity mark up. Anyone who buys these is either a fool or has more money than brains. The concept is cool, but the execution is weak. At least at $179, it is weak. I can see maybe $35-$50. Lame-o!

Posted by zpick on December 14, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

does color matter? are you kidding me? do you buy clothes, cars, paint with your eyes closed? of course you don’t! color DOES matter in many aspects in our life. granted there is no change with this product, but it’s a different color, which is a change in itself.
yes, part of my decision on TV was the color, yes, part of my decision on my phone was the color, as was the paint i used on my walls, the color of my car, etc. the point is, just about EVERYTHING in our lives is offered in different colors to appeal to different people. that’s why we’re able to SEE different colors and buy what appeals to us as an individual.

saying color doesn’t matter is ignorant.

i’m happy with the original altec lansing speakers which i got for about $100. would i buy these just because they’re black? well, not now, but if i were in the market for a portable system, then yes, i probably would.

Posted by mdwsta4 on December 14, 2004 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

Zipdeak!  You are clueless and I’m Guessing your a Widoze guy to boot.  I’m sorry that you can’t see past the Price to look at the big picture here.  Color matter’s, Size matter’s it’s all about having choices uC.  You use a PC I choose to use a Mac, it’s as simple as that.  What if the interior of your car has all red display’s with a Black leather dash. uhmm. the U2 / Black and red iPod might look good attached to the dash.  But those out there that lack style and creativity can’t understand. They follow, while the can the rest of us lead the way!
- live and learn

Posted by nowuc on December 14, 2004 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

mdwsta4. colors do matter for many things. I am mainly talking about color matching for ipod and things for which funtionality is more important than the look. please dont misunderstand. the black colored speakers look better than the white ones because we have got used to the white color since the first release. would a white version of black iRiver HHD player look better? I would say yes. as I said, more color options is a good thing. but do you see any company that release the same product as its previous version but with 5 different colors when mini was first introduced to this market? no, except for cases.

Posted by frankthetank on December 14, 2004 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

I am pretty clueless about anything technical (sorry), but I am contemplating purchasing the inMotion for my ipod because I am about to go live somewhere with no electricity and only the ability to use solar power or batteries. It says the dock charges your ipod.  Does that mean that the ipod will be fully charged once docked for a certain amount of time, like when it is plugged into an outlet? Or does it only mean that it will charge while docked in order to play through the speakers, and then once removed will lose its charge.  And if it CAN charge your ipod, how long does it take when using only batteries and how long is it then charged for?  Hope this makes sense, thanks!

Posted by lilirp24 on May 11, 2005 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

PLEASE could someone tell me if this is still available to buy. i have looked all over the internet and cannot find it available anywhere. i have noticed that it is no longer on apple’s website either. so if you know where i can buy this please let me know as i want one REALLY badly!

Posted by helpneeded on June 9, 2005 at 12:32 PM (PDT)