Altec Lansing releases inMotion iMmini | iLounge News

Altec Lansing releases inMotion iMmini

pic

“Altec Lansing Technologies, Inc., the leader in the design and manufacture of Powered Audio products, today announced the debut of a portable audio system designed specifically for users of the iPod mini—the new iMmini. Featuring digital amplification, high quality neodymium micro drivers, and MaxxBass technology, iMmini—41% smaller than Altec Lansing’s flagship product, inMotion—is a complete speaker system. Altec Lansing’s inMotion iMmini portable audio system for the Apple iPod mini is priced at $129.95 (MSRP) and will be available in late summer at all Apple store locations as well as the Apple online store.”

« iTrip mini for $32.99

Shure E2c earphones for $69.00 »

Comments

Eh… so so.

This would have been infinitely cooler:

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on August 10, 2004 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

azdude…

That is pretty dope!

Posted by Peter on August 10, 2004 at 9:14 PM (CDT)

It looks like an iSight.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on August 10, 2004 at 9:37 PM (CDT)

I want one! Anybody know where they are available this minute. I am going on a two month trip to China Aug. 30. I must have one before then.

Posted by Paul on August 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM (CDT)

How is the sound on the original Altec Lansing InMotion-speakers?

They look good, but are bloody expensive. Are they worth the price???

Posted by Frodo on August 11, 2004 at 3:06 AM (CDT)

They sound okay.  Just like a regular boom box.  I haven’t noticed any “better” sound to justify the price.

Posted by Asian_N02 in Delaware on August 11, 2004 at 6:06 AM (CDT)

The sound is excellent considering the size. Well worth buying if you travel a lot. If it’s just going to sit on your desk, get a set of powered speakers and use it with a dock for a much cheaper version of the same thing.

Anyone know where these new ones are available right now?

Posted by Paul on August 11, 2004 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

I have the inMotion set for the full-sized iPod and if the jacks on the back of this set for the mini iPod speaker set are the same, I hope they have fixed the problem with the dock-out connector, which leaves the iPod in place, connected to the speakers, for connecting to your Mac to do a FireWire iTunes update or data synch.  This port *does not work* as it is supposed to.  You will either experience extremely slow file transfer from iTunes to the iPod OR the connection will not work at all and will lock up both the iPod and your computer, forcing a restart.  I’ve experienced both problems and as a result, I will not even attempt to synch the computer with iPod docked in this speaker set, I’ll remove it first to do the updating.  That is my ONLY complaint with the inMotion speaker set, quality of audio is terrific for the size of the speakers.  I just wish it had a built-in FM radio as well, then it would be perfect.

Also, I’m not the only one to have problems with the docking out port in the back.  Dan Frakes, who reviewed this speaker set for TidBITS, also had the same problem I did.

Posted by bjbear71 on August 21, 2004 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

Concerning the dock connection problem that bjbear71 has, is there any solution to it? I’ve tried Altec’s website but can’t find anything. Just to tell, my pc cant even recognise the inMotion.

Posted by melange on September 4, 2004 at 10:51 AM (CDT)