Amazon launches Kindle Cloud Reader
Amazon has launched a new web-based app for reading Kindle e-books on a PC, Mac or iPad. An alternative to Amazon’s native Kindle apps, the Kindle Cloud Reader provides access to users’ Kindle libraries from compatible web browsers, specifically Chrome and Safari and includes the ability to continue reading even without an Internet connection. Notably, the web application specifically indicates support for the Safari browser on an iPad running iOS 4.0 or later; as a web application the app can also provide access to an integrated “Kindle Store for Tablets,” allowing users to easily purchase content directly from their device.
Earlier this year Apple revised its App Store policies and began requiring iOS applications to remove links to external services for purchasing content, resulting in Amazon being forced to remove the Kindle Store button from its native iOS Kindle app. The new Kindle Cloud Reader provides an alternative for users who wish to easily browse for and purchase content from their iPad. Kindle users can access the Kindle Cloud Reader simply by visiting http://read.amazon.com and logging in with their Amazon ID and password.
- AG Drive, Delectable Wines, Google Maps + more
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?