Amazon MP3 adds Warner Music Group Catalog | iLounge News

Amazon MP3 adds Warner Music Group Catalog

Amazon MP3 has announced the addition of Warner Music Group’s digital audio catalog to its DRM-free MP3 offerings. Amazon and Warner will also offer products such as album bundles containing exclusive tracks, in addition to a la carte downloads. “Our customers are delighted with our DRM-free MP3 service. We have received thousands of emails from our customers since our September launch thanking us for offering the biggest selection of high-quality MP3 audio downloads which play on virtually any music device they own today or will own in the future,” said Bill Carr, Amazon.com Vice President of Digital Music. “With the addition of great Warner Music Group content, our customers will discover even more of the music they love on Amazon MP3.” Michael Nash, Senior Vice President, Digital Strategy and Business Development for Warner Music Group, said, “Consumers want flexibility with respect to what they can do with music once they purchase it, and we want them to have that flexibility, which is why we’re pleased to offer our artists’ music on Amazon MP3.” Amazon MP3 now offers more than 2.9 million songs from over 33,000 record labels, including DRM-free music from Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and EMI.

« Apple planning iPhone-based transaction system?

Apple signs movie rental, DVD deal with Fox »

Comments

Another reason why the Amazon MP3 store is far superior to iTunes, for music. I got an iTunes gift certificate this Xmas and was bummed it wasn’t for Amazon- none of the music I wanted was available as iTunes Plus, whereas it was all available as 256 MP3 on Amazon. Apple is going to get killed by Amazon if they don’t get moving fast on this.

Posted by afolpe on December 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM (CST)

“Apple is going to get killed by Amazon if they don’t get moving fast on this.”

Bull!

Do you have the slightest idea how many new iPods and iPhones Apple has sold this holiday season?  For the sake of argument, let’s just say a lot!  And I would bet that most every one of those new owners will never step outside the beautiful and seamless iPod/iTMS world.  For those that do, great!  The more choices the better!  If anything, this will help sell even more iPods for those in the know.

People don’t buy iPods because of iTMS, and Apple doesn’t make their money off of iTMS.  They make it off of hardware sales.

As much as Warner may wish it, this move is not a nail in Apple’s coffin, it’s a nail in DRM’s coffin.

Posted by The Raven on December 27, 2007 at 6:04 PM (CST)

I agree with “afolpe” concerning Apple really needs to watch what it’s doing with the content it sells.  I love the iPod as a piece of portable hardware and honestly, iTunes works for me as a music management system.  However, I will buy the music where I can find it, for the right price, and of the right quality.  The bulk of my purchases are still at the iTunes Store, however, if Amazon has the song, I’ll buy it there instead.

There are number of songs on iTunes that are either “album-only” or missing entirely (partial album gig) that I have found for single purchase on Amazon.  Whether this is an Apple issue or a record label stipulation (or both), I don’t really care.  If Amazon seems to have the issues worked out for the tune I’m looking for, then they get my money for the purchase.

There’s no way the iPod would be where it is as the top-selling mp3 player if the content in the store wasn’t behind it.  I give Apple all the credit in the world for changing the face of digital music for the masses, but my loyalty goes where I can find the songs and buy them the way I want to.

Posted by shatnerfan1701 on December 27, 2007 at 9:36 PM (CST)

“I give Apple all the credit in the world for changing the face of digital music for the masses, but my loyalty goes where I can find the songs and buy them the way I want to.”

Yeah, but are you going to sell a $300 iPod because you can’t get a song from iTunes? One does not correlate with the other. I think that’s the point The Raven is making. Apple is much less concerned about the iTunes Store sales figures than of the iPods/iPhones, (which can play any DRM-free music except WMA, of course).

Posted by pairof9s on December 28, 2007 at 12:00 AM (CST)

I like Amazon’s price and selection but most of all I like the fact that I can get music compressed into the format I want (MP3) at a decent bit rate and without DRM.

Apple’s format might be a bit better than MP3 but its’ locked into Apple devices. When I purchase content (music, movies, etc.) I want to be able to use it on other devices.

Posted by gear on December 28, 2007 at 5:11 AM (CST)

“pairof9s”, if I ever decide to move away from the iPod, the decision will be based strictly on the hardware itself.  I’ve taken the time to strip the DRM off of all of my iTunes purchases, so my library can be played on any mp3 device.  As I mentioned, I like the iTunes store set-up…much like I prefer some stores over others for convenient design & location.  However, no matter how cool or nice a store actually is, my reason for being there is to buy something I want.

I do realize that Apple makes much more money from selling the iPod than the content, either music or video.  However, I do think the iPod and the iTunes Store experience are tied together.  Most of the people I know who own iPods have really no idea how the iTunes content affects the need to use only an iPod (assuming we are not talking about iTunes Plus songs).  They assume since they bought the songs, they will work on any mp3 player, should they choose to switch.  A couple of them flirted with buying a Zune until I mentioned that none of their iTunes purchases would work on the device.  Mind you, these aren’t stupid people, but folks looking for convenience that they don’t need to think about.  Prior to Blu-ray and HD-DVD, all DVD buyers needed to worry about was choosing between wide or full screen…no one had to think if the disc worked on their player.  The more difficult companies make the digital content purchasing/usage experience, the more they are going to suffer in the end.

Posted by shatnerfan1701 on December 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM (CST)