American Idol’s Taylor Hicks sues over iTunes releases | iLounge News

American Idol’s Taylor Hicks sues over iTunes releases

American Idol winner Taylor Hicks is suing a Nashville music producer to stop the online sales of three songs the singer recorded years ago before his fame. The suit, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages in excess of $75,000, was filed after music producer William Smith released the songs through the iTunes Music Store despite having no apparent ownership rights. MTV News reports: “Hicks’ lawyers were first made aware of the situation by Smith himself, the suit claims. Smith contacted the attorneys, stating his intention to release the tracks. They responded by seeking a preliminary injunction barring Smith from selling the songs. The lawsuit maintains that Smith made no attempt to pull them from the iTunes store. Last week, both sides entered into a settlement—the terms of which are not outlined in the suit. Soon after, Smith once again e-mailed Hicks’ counsel, stating that he would be releasing ‘The Fall’ for digital download, and would make the other two tracks available as well.”

« Creative to continue selling Zen players; iPod gear will not be iPod-only

BusinessWeek: Apple’s iPod season looms »

Comments

He has nothing to worry about. No one’s downloading any of it. What horrible, horrible middle of the road, worthless, mediocre garbage. Who cares? Anyone who does should get their “music fan” card revoked permanently. What’s good about it? It’s not interesting, it’s not deep. It’s songs written by 50 year old jingle writers and sold to the young and the ‘talented’. I hate the music industry.

Posted by Regalbegal on August 25, 2006 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Regalbegal—Facts are fun and easy to find when you click on the links provided and actually read the article.  The songs in question weren’t written by “50 year old jingle writers”, they were written by Taylor Hicks, waaaay before there even was an “American Idol”.

And your opinion notwithstanding, there are people who are downloading it…and if Hicks owns the rights (which it sounds like he does) and doesn’t want them released or isn’t seeing any money off it, he’s right to take legal action.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on August 25, 2006 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

ha ha ha - he’ll make a mint from the desperate housewife american women downloading it

Posted by psxp on August 25, 2006 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

I don’t think that Taylor Hicks guy should have won American Idol. It just shows America doesn’t know how to vote. There were way better people in the top 10 than this guy.

Posted by Jonathan on August 25, 2006 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

John Stevens should have won the American Idol

Posted by nojok3 on August 25, 2006 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

No one cares about who you thought should have won American Idol. Talk about the subject at hand, please.

Posted by adam on August 25, 2006 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

Um, whoever wins American Idol still sucks ###. Sick of this pop crap that I see being forced into peoples ears. It’s all crap! Turn off your radio for once and I find some real music.

Posted by Matthew Galvan on August 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

What is wrong with you people who just comment without checking out the songs first?

I hated…I repeat hated Taylor Hicks on AI, I even hate AI.  These songs are anything but POP crapola and are freaking awesome.  I think he should of left them up because they really show how great he is.

I will be buying this guy’s album this year.  Never thought I would ever buy an AI winner’s album, but Taylor really is a great songwriter and musician.

Oh yeah, I am only 22, so I am not an old hag.

Posted by Skeeter on August 26, 2006 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

To add to my comment.  Just read the Rolling Stone fall preview and Taylor Hicks and John Mayer wrote a song together for his album.  How freaking awesome is that?  I think John Mayer must have listended to Taylor’s pre-idol stuff too, cause it really is that great.

Actually, Taylor is going to be anything but POP.  He will go the Mayer, Jack Johnson route if his label lets him.

Oh yeah, and you should check out his band which is now called LMBO.  They will be at the Viper Room tonight, I know it is sold out but you may still be lucky enough to get in.  I saw them in Washington, DC and they rocked.  In fact, that is what made me want to go listen to Taylor’s original music and I am glad I did.

Posted by Skeeter on August 26, 2006 at 2:08 PM (PDT)