An idea for iPod - user removable battery | iLounge News

An idea for iPod - user removable battery

“Almost every portable electronic device from flashlights, to laptops, to cellphones have easy to access batteries. For many of these devices you simply flip a latch, screw off a cap, slide open a compartment and low and behold you can easily replace the battery of the device with a fresh one. Seeing as my 1G iPod warranty expired about 2 years ago, I just had to open it. Conveniently, I found that the battery is indeed the furtherest item from the front of the device (This is true in all generations of the iPod, as iLounge has exposed). Why Apple can not make the outer case of the battery more durable and allow you to slip the battery in and out from either the side or top/bottom of the iPod is beyond me.”

« Apple past, present, future, Analyst says iPod the leader for only 2 more years?

Pepsi ads to feature teens sued by RIAA »

Comments

its only obvious!.....they’re all commies over there at Apple!!

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on January 23, 2004 at 9:12 AM (CST)

Size and styling.  The author doesn’t think too hard eh?

Those clips would probably wear out pretty fast too.  My cell phone’s battery slides around quite a bit and I don’t think it’ll be long before I have to get a new phone.

*yawn* Do any web authors have any insight anymore or is running at the mouth considered a substitute?

Posted by dan0 on January 23, 2004 at 9:18 AM (CST)

Well, nice thought, however you have to know, that Apple has introduced a smaller battery and embedded it into the PCB on the 3G iPod to reduce the overall thickness.

A battery as shown in drawing, would increase the thickness again.

Posted by podLover on January 23, 2004 at 9:19 AM (CST)

The pictures show where the battery is placed: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1827

Posted by podLover on January 23, 2004 at 9:20 AM (CST)

Well, clearly, it would cost more to produce a model with a user-changeable battery.

Who wants to pay more for an iPod ?
Not me.

The entire design would have to change to cope with a new button/switch thing to open the case.

It’s a sealed product. Get over it.

Apple have even started to introduce a replacement scheme, so I really cant see what the problem is.

It’s really very simple, if you don’t want an iPod (and all that goes with it, like battery life)...don’t buy one.

Posted by WebBat on January 23, 2004 at 9:27 AM (CST)

Apple doesn’t offer a user-replaceable battery because they want make money from replacing batteries for $100. That, and Apple has had a policy of forced obsolescence for a long time now, so in their eyes, when your iPod battery dies, it’s just time to throw it out and buy a new iPod.

Posted by Dr. Webster on January 23, 2004 at 9:33 AM (CST)

Yes! Fight the corporate machine Dr. Webster!  Kill the opressors!

Posted by Karl Marx on January 23, 2004 at 9:44 AM (CST)

it was an idea, not a template for production. morons!

Posted by Margk on January 23, 2004 at 9:46 AM (CST)

You entered the wrong thing in the name field Trent. :-P

All removable battery designs will increase the size of the iPod.  MORON.

Posted by dan0 on January 23, 2004 at 9:51 AM (CST)

Different colored batteries? what a stupid idea. people buy ipod because it looks good and uhm if you have a white ipod, a silver back panel…then a purple battery? i mean wtf.

Anyway..yeah it would be nice if it was replacable, but by screw to prevent accidental mishaps like it slipping or falling out.

Posted by Brock on January 23, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CST)

The most unreliable thing on most electronic devices is the connectors.

A removeable battery adds connections that are vulnerable, quite apart from compromising other design issues.

I’ve had a number of cellphones ( Motorala in particular ) with persistant problems due to poor battery contacts.

I think Apple have made a wiser decision in not making the battery user replaceable as it makes it more reliable.

Posted by AlanAudio on January 23, 2004 at 11:35 AM (CST)

I for one would definitely reconsider buying another iPod if the batteries were replaceable. Or maybe just as easily as the 5gig Gen1 I have right now. Even if it looks a bit funky it would still be worth it.

And WebBat, the problem is not that Apple has a replacement program, it’s the cost of the program that I think really ticks people off. $100 and even then you’re probably not going to get back your original iPod? Most likely they’ll just send you a refurbished one.

Also, wouldn’t you rather pay $50 every two years for a new battery instead of $300? I know I would.

Posted by Andrew on January 23, 2004 at 11:51 AM (CST)

Where the hell are you getting $300?

Posted by duke on January 23, 2004 at 12:08 PM (CST)

” and even then you’re probably not going to get back your original iPod?  Most likely they’ll just send you a refurbished one.”

I see that as a GOOD thing!  You abuse the hell out of your iPod for 3 years… then your battery runs out… and only $100 for a fixed up, tested, guarenteed to be running in fine condition iPod.  One hell of a great replacement plan for those of us who forgot to/didn’t know about/didn’t think they’d need to buy the extended warrenty or an applecare plan or whatnot.

Posted by seth on January 23, 2004 at 12:31 PM (CST)

<sarcasm>Woah, what a GREAT IDEA!! I wonder if they thought of that themselves.
</sarcasm>

Posted by Dasein on January 23, 2004 at 12:39 PM (CST)

($300 for a new iPod)

Seth, tthat’s true but I guess it just depends on preference. Me, I would like my old iPod back. And what about people with engraved iPods? It’s just a matter of replacing the battery.

Posted by Andrew on January 23, 2004 at 1:23 PM (CST)

I am amazed at how people whine about the 8 hr battery then whine againe when the solution might mean an ipod that is a hair thicker.

Why does the ipod need to be the thickness of a piece of paper?

I wouldn’t mind if the ipod were a tab bit thicker.

I would certainly take a thicker ipod for a 12hour battery.

My phone is just like this,the lower 2/3rds of my phone back is the battery. Nice tight fit..easy to get off if needed. I see no reason why an ipod could not incorporate a similar feature.

My major worry is not the day to day life..I have a Belkin and I am fine w/ having to recharge my ipod almost every day….my concern is having the battery die out completetly after 18 to 20 months. I want to get a solid 2 years out of it..not 1 year and 6 months.

Posted by Json on January 23, 2004 at 1:36 PM (CST)

also you guys need to know that the battery in ipods is supposed to be disposed of in a certin way because if it leaks it will kill the envirnment

Posted by shinhugami on January 23, 2004 at 1:37 PM (CST)

But Andrew, you yourself said it’s only $100 to get the battery replaced by Apple (or $50 to do it yourself with a little elbow grease).  You’re making an assumption that Apple would send back a refurbished iPod instead of your own.  If someone can replace the battery by themselves with an online guide, I think they can replace the battery at Apple with minimal effort, and I’m sure that Apple wouldn’t send back an unengraved iPod to someone that had it engraved.

Posted by duke on January 23, 2004 at 1:57 PM (CST)

even if the battery was replaceable apple would charge 80 dollars for the replacement.

Posted by nman on January 23, 2004 at 3:29 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >