An in-depth look at iTunes 4.5 | iLounge News

An in-depth look at iTunes 4.5

Jim Heid, author of the forthcoming “The Macintosh iLife ‘04” book and DVD, has published an in-depth look at iTunes 4.5 on his Macilife.com Web site.

« Apple launches iTunes on Campus program

iTunes celebrates one year anniversary; Over 70 million songs purchased »

Comments

Great summary! Everything you need to know in a nutshell.

Posted by jcshas on April 28, 2004 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

FLAC was the big reason why i wanted a Karma but am getting bored waiting for a 40GB Karma.

However i have tons of FLACs lined up on my PC. I think i can deFLAC back to WAV and can i them convert a WAV to “Apple Lossless” ?

Posted by wombat on April 28, 2004 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

WMA to AAC!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Karim on April 28, 2004 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

nice summary!

complete and too the point. Great job!

Posted by nice summary on April 28, 2004 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

Cool - everything I wanted to know in an instant!

Posted by Keith on April 28, 2004 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

The new CD mosaic art printing really is VERY cool and and very clever. If the layout required one cover to be bigger, it seems to choose one that has more songs representes. And if there’s a blank space in the mosaic, it even picks a color from the CD art to fill the space. And for easy, clean edges when you cut, it stretches the edges of the art out (bleed) and gives you cut lines. No white edges even if you cut quickly!

Posted by Nagromme on April 28, 2004 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

I just did a couple albums of FLAC > WAV > AL conversions…no problems, and the sound quality is excellent.  Sounds exactly like the WAV…and for the record I’m using those crazy $400 earphones and a custom headphone amp, so I can definitely hear the subtleties.  smile

Posted by stark23x on April 28, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Mr Stark23x can you suggest the easiest way of doing FLAC > WAV > AL conversions ?

Ta

Posted by blancmange on April 28, 2004 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

I have been converting WMA to AAC for nearly a year now with Media Center. What is all the fuss about?

Posted by Conversions on April 28, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

I am having problems installing the iPod update - it’s taken over an hour (on windows xp)

Anyone else had this problem?

How long has your update taken?

Do I need to have iTunes open?

Posted by Keith on April 28, 2004 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Man, it’s out! Hooah, I’m gonna get it now :D

Posted by ipodman on April 28, 2004 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

Keith:

I downloaded the iPod update with no problems on my windows XP.

It only took about 5 minutes total with the wait time after the download completed.  It will tell you to wait until the update finishes the install process.

No I did not have iTunes open when I downloaded the update for the iPod.

Did you try rebooting your computer?

It’s not windows xp it must be your computer.

Posted by iPodite on April 28, 2004 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Just read the article and it was great and very detailed.  Answered a lot of questions.

Posted by iPodite on April 28, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

Great news about the apple lossless.  I was using AIFF files and was going to run out of hd space once I ripped everthing. I have 350 GB hd available.  The new lossless will allow me to free up almost half my hd space and fit close to twice as many song on my ipod.

Posted by iamdone on April 28, 2004 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

How about battery life on an iPod with Apple Lossless?  I’d assume since the chipset in the player is good for AAC, *WMA, MP3, WAV and AIFF, any other codec would require a bit more juice to process.

Any significant battery hit?

*For the newbies - Let me answer the silly comments that will surely follow, the iPod contains a chip that will decode WMA, however, Apple has chosen not to enable that function in their software.

Posted by John on April 29, 2004 at 6:03 PM (PDT)