Analyst: Apple readying two iPhone models | iLounge News

Analyst: Apple readying two iPhone models

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 16, 2006
News Categories: Apple

Apple plans to introduce two cell phone models which the company could launch at Macworld Expo in January, according to a report by Prudential Equity Group analyst Jesse Tortora. The analyst said “recent checks” indicate that Apple will begin selling a slim, iPod-based phone and a more advanced smartphone model with added features. Tortora said at least one of the phones will include wireless connectivity, but that both will be manufactured first in small numbers. Tortora is the second analyst that recently said that Apple is readying a cell phone. In releated news, Apple has reportedly filed for a trademark on the term “iPhone.” The filing, made last month with a Far Eastern trademark office, describes the iPhone as “handheld and mobile digital electronic devices for the sending and receiving of telephone calls, faxes, electronic mail, and other digital data; MP3 and other digital format audio players.”

« Mix: Tim Cook, Wikipod, Small Dog, File-sharing

XtremeMac intros TuffWrap case 2G iPod nano »

Comments

Bring ‘em to the market !!!!!! My contract is up, and I am ready to get one!!!

Posted by Fanatic on October 16, 2006 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

“Tortora is the second analyst that recently….” I doubt he’s only the second.  This seems like a weekly thing from ‘Analysts’.

Bring Em On though, can’t freakin’ wait for an Apple smartphone.  I’m getting REAL close to getting a windows based one because of all the stuff I need it for, but trying to hold off.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on October 16, 2006 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

Damn you apple! I just bought a chocolate yesterday.

Posted by Dantidote on October 16, 2006 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

I’m pretty curious how it will turn out. My contract expires in june but maybe I can get one if it’s for real.

Posted by Pixsol on October 16, 2006 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

i think that if they will released 2 of that ipoddish phone, ‘n a renewed newton smarphone-edition, i think Apple would use Verizon or other company as they made with the 1 itunes phone compatible, rokr. I hope it will not a really “flop” as the motorola rokr, and also i hope will each model be released after 1 or 2 months worldwide. A good time to change my n70.

Posted by iNandoX on October 16, 2006 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

This is a lot better than that Shaw Wu crap.

Posted by Finally on October 16, 2006 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

Please Apple, no ROKR3!

Posted by rusty on October 16, 2006 at 5:16 PM (PDT)

“Filed for a trademark” links to an article that quotes the man that we all love to hate - Mr. Shaw Wu.

As annoyed by him as I am, I have to ask - has anyone been tracking the accuracy of his predictions?  Seems to me a lot of his predictions have made their way into reality, but maybe that’s just because he makes generalized assumptions.

Thoughts?

Posted by Adam on October 16, 2006 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

My thoughts - at this point an iPhone is more an inevitability than a prediction, and releasing it in/around anuary would keep Apple’s sales strong after the holidays. Makes sense.

Posted by Multimoog on October 16, 2006 at 8:31 PM (PDT)

Is it impossible to do hard drive/cell phone or is there magnetic interference.  I don’t wanna give up the gigs.

Posted by e on October 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM (PDT)

I’m growing quite bored with all these dopey “iPhone predictions.”  One analyst says they will, another says they won’t.  How special do you have to be to become an ‘analyst’ anyways?

Here’s MY analysis; Due to recent paperwork filings, microchip costs, carrier demands, the color of paint on the the Apple HQ, and the frikin’ alignment of the planets, Apple may, OR MAY NOT, make a cell phone within the next 23 years.

Where’s my check?

Weren’t these ‘analysts’ the same pinheads that ‘predicted’ the release of the iPhone, along with wide-screened iPods, touch screened iPods and the like at the last Apple event?

These guys are usually WRONG half the time, so I’ll believe it when I see it.

Posted by Matt on October 16, 2006 at 10:09 PM (PDT)

^^^^  Seriously, I getting so annoyed with these iphone rumors.  Its been 1 year already stop with all the predictions, we know its coming.

Posted by joe on October 17, 2006 at 1:13 AM (PDT)

I’m just happy to see that this isn’t from that idiot Shawn Wu

Posted by FYL on October 17, 2006 at 5:18 AM (PDT)

Completely off topic, I saw the 7th post. Does anyone else see AL ROKER when they see ROKR? How hilarious it would be to have an obnoxious phone giving you the third degree through weather reports!

Posted by Michael Wigle on October 17, 2006 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

I really, really don’t expect to see an Apple iPhone anytime in 2007. Even with all of the rumors out there, it would shock me.

Of course, Apple has shocked me before.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 18, 2006 at 12:05 PM (PDT)