Analyst estimates iPod could convert 4% to buy Macs | iLounge News

Analyst estimates iPod could convert 4% to buy Macs

“If 2% of customers who purchase an estimated 7.5 million iPods in fiscal 2005 decide to also purchase a Mac, when otherwise they would not have purchased a Mac, that would add an additional 150,000 Mac units, or 4%, to Piper Jaffray’s estimates for the year.”

« NYC man eats roaches for an iPod

iPod gains 82% market share »

Comments

If I didn’t have so much invested in Windows software, I might consider switching.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 11, 2004 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

If i had money the I would sweitch to mac without thinking twice, i hate microsoft and windows with a passion.

Posted by Ade on October 11, 2004 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

A Mac might not be free, but it really isn’t all that expensive, either.  Even an eMac is a world and a half better than a Windoze desktop and only $800.

Posted by Nick Smerker on October 11, 2004 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

The “Apple costs too much for me to switch!” argument does work anymore.  A brand new iMac starts at $1300.

Then the next argument is “well, for that money I could get an Intel with a 4.3 gazillion Hz processor!”.  But you’re forgetting that the chip architecture of the CPUs Apple uses is not your standard x86, and can do more with fewer clock cycles.  GHz is not a good measure because it’s like comparing apples and oranges.

So, just go buy one!

Posted by m. sherman on October 11, 2004 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

Why pay more for underperforming equipment? rofl

Posted by steve hand jobs on October 11, 2004 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

I’ve gotta admin that I used to totally rule out buying a mac, but lately I’ve been thinking about it.  I mainly use Photoshop, iTunes and Macromedia suite all of which are available on the mac anyway.

Plus having a mac on hand to test my web sites just makes the dev process easier for me.

Posted by Anthony on October 11, 2004 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

The only argument I will use as to why I will never buy a mac, is because the software support for it is completely ridiculous.

Yes, there are good programs, yes, if you only do certain things they are great, but I do not want to be compatible with what a few percent of the computer using population uses.

I believe this is a valid point.

Posted by Awesome-O on October 11, 2004 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

I think everyone should just use the platform they are most productive with. I just suggest that you keep the Mac as one of the options if you are thinking of getting a new computer. Really look into it. I’m sure you will find some good stuff.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on October 11, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Awesome-O, tell me what you’d like to do on Windows that you are so sure you can’t with a Mac.

I doubt you can name one thing.  But if you can, there is always Virtual PC

Posted by MBHockey on October 11, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I’ve switched about 6 months ago after owning 3 ipods (10,20 & now 40gb) ... picked up a second hand G4 Powermac & G3 ibook smile best thing I’ve done in years smile My dad just ordered a new iMac.

Posted by Rich on October 11, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I had a 3g ipod and started looking at iBooks when going back to school. I got a new 4g 40GB ipod with the iBook. i figure i mainly use computers iTunes, photography, and the internet, so why not get a mac. so far i love it. it can do everything my PC could and it has bluetooth built in!

Posted by mdwsta4 on October 11, 2004 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

Play HL2 with your mac, aye?

Posted by i want to play game on MAC on October 11, 2004 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

i seriously would switch if there was better mac software and better hardware upgrade options.

Posted by Straphanger in New York City on October 11, 2004 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

Not to bash the mac because I myself am looking into buying a powerbook but for gamers…the mac is certainly not the machine to buy. Games come out for PCs first in almost every title simply because the market isn’t there for them to make a profit. Just look at Doom 3 for example. How long has the game been out…and when will it arrive for the mac?

And for the VirtualPC argument. I havent tried it yet..but from what i’ve heard, it operates too slowly to do anything data intensive and certainly not capable of operating games.

Posted by iwannamac on October 11, 2004 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

It’s not that I can’t do certain things on a Mac, it’s just that in the world of downloadable freeware, and friends with programs, and friends businesses with programs and files that they want me to look at or share, the Mac just won’t cut it…

Sorry…

It’s just fact. A small percent of computer users use Macs, and I do not want to be limited.

If I had a Mac, I would feel very limited, not being able to use the tons of windows apps. With a PC, I never feel limited, that I’m missing out on all those “numerous” Mac apps.

Posted by Awesome-O on October 11, 2004 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

Oh, when will the wars end???  Macs are not better than PCs! PCs are not better than Macs!  They are simply different.  Sure, they are similar in some aspects. The average computer user could use either to perform most basic computing tasks.  Most users just browse the web, use email and word processing.  For these tasks, both and Macs and PCs fit the bill.

If you want to do more with your machine then you have to have to start asking yourself what is more important to you in a computing experience.  If you want to manage you “digital life” music, movies, photos, etc… I think Apple is about as good as it gets.  If you are a gamer you’ll want a PC.  (I don’t want to hear another Virtual PC comment - Far Cry won’t run well in an emulated environment, and yes I have used Virtual PC and VMWare).  They have made leaps and bounds in performance over the years, but having to run an isolated, emulated environment for certain programs is not a very fluid user experience.

I own two PCs, I’m a software developer for Windows apps.  I have used Macs frequently in previous jobs.  I really want to get the new iMac G5 and I will probably break down and buy one within the next year.

I own an iPod and use iTunes on my Windows XP Pro system, which I believe is a very competent OS.  I readily admit that Windows 9x (95,98,ME) were utter crap.

Going by the stats (not GHz, but benchmark results) I would say that Apple’s hardware is a bit over-priced.  With that said, I believe when you buy a Mac, you’re not just buying benchmark results.  Apple is always leading the way with beautiful and usable designs.  Apple’s software is also well-designed with usability and simplicity in mind.  The end product leaves the user with a certain experience and I believe it is reasonable to charge a premium for that experience.

That’s more than my two cents worth.  My point is… stop arguing!  Buy what “you” want and like.  Not everyone likes what “youâ€? like and therefore, heaven forbid, they might buy something different.  So stop comparing Apples to oranges…. I mean PCs.

Posted by feakbeak in Plymouth, MI, USA on October 11, 2004 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Thank you feakbeak. I was just trying to say they are different. I like Macs, but it’s a PC world, and it has been for a while now. I can’t use a Mac, because EVERYONE I KNOW uses PCs, and I would be completely out the loop.

The iPod is amazing, and epitomizes Apple to me. The design, and the ease of use.

For me, however, I don’t need my computer packaged in a neat little white package, with rounded edges, and a clear overcoat.

Macs are cool, and I would buy one if I had extra money, and a great PC. I have nothing against them, but for me, a Mac will never be my primary computer.

I like PCs. I like Macs. I use PCs, I don’t want to use Macs.

You like Macs, that’s cool.

Posted by Awesome-O on October 11, 2004 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

In the past, when iPods are Macs only (no iTunes for windows), maybe. Now, we have iTunes for windows, HP iPod, USB cable included, there are just fewer reasons for a regular joe to even consider switching to mac.

With the popularity and brand recognition of iPod, maybe if Apple release an iPod that is Mac exclusive, there would be more people that consider switching.

Posted by Maybe not on October 11, 2004 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

I don’t know about being out of the loop if you go to a mac.
I work in a mac and pc environment, and have never had an issue with compatibility. Every file a pc user has sent me, I’ve been able to open. Every file I’ve sent them, they’ve been able to open. About the only time I need to go to the pc and ask to borrow the computer for a tick, is to test a website under WinIE. Just about all the downloadable freeware on windows, there’s mac equivelants. Unless of course you’re in some obscure field with custom made software. but that applies on both sides, doesn’t it?

yeah, use what you want for sure. I just don’t find compatibility issues a reason to hold back either way. 5 years ago it would have been, but not any more.

Posted by Nathan on October 11, 2004 at 8:21 PM (PDT)

Great points above…I have to say that after getting my iPod I have considered getting a Mac more times than before, the new Unix based OS doesn’t hurt either…if I had the extra cash, definitely…

However, the reason I got an iPod was that it provided a great convenience in an awesome package, even if a little pricey its a class apart and well worth it…

But I am yet to find something like it in a Mac that makes me want to get one, even if I had to over look certain other facts. Its like deciding to buy a car, you look at all the features and how much you really need those, and how deep your pocket is and so on…

Anyways, best of all is that you have a choice, and the choice you make is upto you, maybe another time another place my choice might have been different…

Posted by veen on October 11, 2004 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >