Analyst expects widescreen iPod; Current 60GB iPod ‘at risk’ | iLounge News

Analyst expects widescreen iPod; Current 60GB iPod ‘at risk’

Apple could be phasing out its current high-end iPod to make room for a new widescreen video iPod, according to American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu. In a research note to clients, Wu said that Apple has notified its product distributors that the 60GB iPod is “at risk” until the end of April, which means the device could be discontinued or replaced. The analyst said he believes that a new widescreen video iPod with Bluetooth headphones could be introduced during Apple’s third quarter — April, May or June.

“The most interesting development here is that Apple has notified its distributors that its high-end $399 60GB iPod is ‘at risk’ until the end of April, meaning it could be discontinued and/or replaced around that time frame,” Wu said in the report. “As we have mentioned before, our checks indicate that Apple has been working on a widescreen iPod (we believe now likely with Bluetooth headphone capability). Timing is not certain to us but we believe this product could be ready as early as the June quarter.”

Wu also noted that the iPod nano “appears to be experiencing the greatest seasonal decline within the iPod family,” with the exception being “decent sales” of new 1GB model. “We believe Apple may need to increase storage capacities and/or cut prices to re-generate interest,” he said. “Declining prices in NAND flash and additional capacity coming on board should help Apple facilitate these moves.”

« French lawmakers approve bill to open iPod, iTunes

French lawmakers set to vote on music interoperability bill »

Comments

YES!! im excited about the new widescreen ipod (i hope it is true)...im glad i didnt buy the 5G.

Posted by killa on March 21, 2006 at 10:59 AM (CST)

I never really thought of the 60 gig being moved out for a video ipod (which it wouldhave to be for two items not being priced the same which apple never does). I just thought that the video ipod would be $500.
Now I think that it’s a 50% chance.

Posted by Jonathan Keim on March 21, 2006 at 11:17 AM (CST)

I Bought the 60G 5G iPod on december in replacement for a 40 GB iPod Photo. I’d hate that!!!!! Apple should open an iPod fan up-to-date program with lower prices for loyal costumers or something like that. I have 4 different iPods in my house and I think I deserve some consideration.

Posted by Javier on March 21, 2006 at 11:19 AM (CST)

Fortunately, the 60GB 5G was my first purchase.  I use it mainly for music anyway, but every now and then, I’ll throw a movie on for “coolness” factor.  The storage capacity is enough for me.  Stinks that it may be phased out, but I’m sure enough people have purchased this model to ensure a longevity of accessories for a while.

Posted by Dan on March 21, 2006 at 11:23 AM (CST)

I’m looking to upgrade from my 5G 30GB to a 5G 60GB as my 30GB is now almost full.  I’m hoping for a price drop on the current model!  :)

Posted by Pam on March 21, 2006 at 11:32 AM (CST)

:D :D you’re better then me if you can buy an outdated model to save $25-$50 :).
I just couldn’t stand know that there is something better. It’s not that i make alot of money, so if i didn’t have the money I would just not buy it at all :)

Posted by Jonathan Keim on March 21, 2006 at 11:39 AM (CST)

Bluetooth earphones ? That’s not good, battery life is a bad with bluetooth….I’d prefer Wifi in order to stream music anywhere

Posted by Steph on March 21, 2006 at 11:40 AM (CST)

t’would be cool if they replaced the 60gig with maybe an 80 gig widescreen iPod video. ahh. hope.

Posted by Edgar on March 21, 2006 at 11:44 AM (CST)

I hope the Video iPod has atleast 6 hours of battery life and 4” 16 million color screen. That’s all I’ll need and I’ll sell my Cowon A2 in a second. I don’t need those useless “extra features”. I’d rather have album art and lyrics, than FM and recording.

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 21, 2006 at 11:53 AM (CST)

Wont Bluetooth Headphone limit our choices for replacements?

I am not for this “feature” if it does.

Posted by ahMEmon on March 21, 2006 at 12:12 PM (CST)

I have so many problems with this.  (Besides not wanting my new 60GB to be obsolete so soon…I know, whine.)

- I treat my iPod with extreme care.  I HATE the idea of having my greasy fingers all over the screen.  It will constantly need wiping off, resulting in scratches…ugh.

- The accessory makers haven’t had time to catch up with the 5G iPod.  There still aren’t any voice recorders for it, unless I am mistaken.  So now a whole new form factor?

I am all for innovation and cool new Apple stuff.  I’m just not excited about what is rumored to be in the works.

(Of course, talk to me after it comes out and I am lusting after it.)

Posted by Justin on March 21, 2006 at 12:22 PM (CST)

I’m all for bluetooth headphones compatibility.  As long as they don’t get rid of the good old regular headphone jack, I don’t see a problem.  And I seriously doubt, at least in the first generation, that they get rid of the jack.  Maybe in the future, they would get rid of it, kind of like the new MacBook Pro finally left off the old modem jack, but I don’t see them doing something so drastic so fast.  Especially since there are so few Bluetooth headphone choices out there.

Posted by BrettB on March 21, 2006 at 12:25 PM (CST)

I just bought a new 60gb 5G ipod at christmas time, and while it does stink that apple is already phasing it out, its good enough for me.

Posted by edmond dantes on March 21, 2006 at 12:29 PM (CST)

Maybe a good way to get rid of the video playback bug with this model. No need for further firmware update, then…
Easy and lazy…

Posted by verdaine on March 21, 2006 at 1:05 PM (CST)

well, that said, anyone want to buy my 60gb with loads of accesories?

Posted by SS on March 21, 2006 at 1:18 PM (CST)

It’s kind of a shame that these things get obselete almost as soon as you buy them. It hasn’t even been six months and Apple’s newest “High End” audio player is already in that stage. I would think they would give it at least a year on the market, but that’s how technology is. That and keeping ahead of the competition. Oh well, I guess it’‘s time to start saving my pennies again. Oh wait! I was saving those pennies to get a new Mac Mini! Decisions, decisions….my Mac Mini’s coming first. I will get at least a year’s use out of this current iPod.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on March 21, 2006 at 1:52 PM (CST)

The 60GB iPod with video was released in October 2005.  AFAIK Apple has never discontinued an iPod that was < 1 year old.

Posted by Greg Glockner on March 21, 2006 at 1:53 PM (CST)

i got a 60gb for christmas and i think the ipod video is awsome but to come out with a new one so soon is stupid and touchscreen controls are even dumber.  I think that apple is wasting their time trying to develope this product.

Posted by KOOBAZI on March 21, 2006 at 2:22 PM (CST)

For those of us who don’t give a rat’s azz about video, this might be a chance to score the 60GB player as a closeout! Woo-hoo!

Posted by David on March 21, 2006 at 2:27 PM (CST)

I dont think Apple will reduce the price of the 60GB.
the 4G went from B/W to color to 5G (color+video+more storage) in less than 1 year and kept at the same price.

Posted by hello on March 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >