Analyst expects widescreen iPod; Current 60GB iPod ‘at risk’ | iLounge News

Analyst expects widescreen iPod; Current 60GB iPod ‘at risk’

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 21, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Apple could be phasing out its current high-end iPod to make room for a new widescreen video iPod, according to American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu. In a research note to clients, Wu said that Apple has notified its product distributors that the 60GB iPod is “at risk” until the end of April, which means the device could be discontinued or replaced. The analyst said he believes that a new widescreen video iPod with Bluetooth headphones could be introduced during Apple’s third quarter — April, May or June.

“The most interesting development here is that Apple has notified its distributors that its high-end $399 60GB iPod is ‘at risk’ until the end of April, meaning it could be discontinued and/or replaced around that time frame,” Wu said in the report. “As we have mentioned before, our checks indicate that Apple has been working on a widescreen iPod (we believe now likely with Bluetooth headphone capability). Timing is not certain to us but we believe this product could be ready as early as the June quarter.”

Wu also noted that the iPod nano “appears to be experiencing the greatest seasonal decline within the iPod family,” with the exception being “decent sales” of new 1GB model. “We believe Apple may need to increase storage capacities and/or cut prices to re-generate interest,” he said. “Declining prices in NAND flash and additional capacity coming on board should help Apple facilitate these moves.”

« French lawmakers approve bill to open iPod, iTunes

French lawmakers set to vote on music interoperability bill »

Comments

First of all, i was awaiting the new ipod to surface at the last apple conference, and was sorely dissapointed when it did not. so needless to say, i am egarly awaiting this one.
Bluetooth headphones, truely another inovative idea, a great product. And Koobazi, “dumber” is not a word. Go back to 1st grade.

Posted by Kev on March 21, 2006 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

they should make it divx compatible

Posted by Victor on March 21, 2006 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

I didn’t really like the 5G video. It was too thin and the screen too big… I like the look of the iPod color. I just bought a nano and if I hadn’t bought it just for the size I would have gotten a color. I think the video thing is really dumb. I mean, computers and TV have already dominated the universe and now we can have them constantly. I’d rather listen to music than watch a movie any time. I mean, that’s what an iPod is for, right?

The idea of an iPod with a giant screen pushing out the video seems dumb to me. iPods are iPods and their main purpose was and (in my opinion) should be music. If they’re going to come out with some sort of super mini mp3/video player then they should market it not as an iPod, but as something completely new and fresh. They’d probably get more out of it that way too. I mean, those who want giant storage but don’t want so much video could still buy the iPod video and those into the new product could get what they want… idk. Just I believe that iPods should stick to mostly music. The video thing seems a bit overkill to me. Why not buy a laptop if you want to travel with a movie? Bigger screen, bigger memory, plus you can do a lot more with it. That’s how I’d have it if I was in charge.

Posted by Werewolf on March 21, 2006 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

HA, so glad i bought a 5G 30gb video. sure it doesn’t have the space, but strangely i rather have little space than an ipod that is discontinued since they won’t discontinue this one so i will once again still be on top!

Posted by Aaron on March 21, 2006 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

All I know is, I’m not buying a new iPod until storage capacity goes UP.  I *need* like 100GB.  I’ll accept 80.  And yes, I’ll pay through the nose to get it, that isn’t a problem for me.

Posted by stark23x on March 21, 2006 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

“The video thing seems a bit overkill to me. Why not buy a laptop if you want to travel with a movie?”

Because you can’t put a laptop in your pocket or run it off a dongle filled with AAs or a nine-volt for a cross-country flight.  Because you can’t carry a laptop everywhere you go.

Duh.

Posted by stark23x on March 21, 2006 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

It isn’t a problem for you?

Who the hell actually says things like that?

Man.

Posted by Justin on March 21, 2006 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

10GB white Nano w/ gapless playback.  All I need…

Posted by Sean on March 21, 2006 at 3:56 PM (PDT)

Big whoop. It’s not like the 5G—60GB or otherwise—would’ve last far beyond this fall anyways. Apple’s become a lot like the Detroit automakers used to be: roll out a new version of their top-line model every year. Given how Apple’s been updating most models, they likely would’ve had a new replacement in place by October or November, just in time for the upcoming Christmas season. All the better that it sounds like the new unit is musch better suited for the vid experience. And if it means a spring or early summer launch…good for them; it’s all the more time to hype the change in media focus before the holidays show up.

If putting out a new large LCD video player means sacrificing the 60GB 5G: so be it. At least Apple is addressing one of the real problems with watching vids on the 5G if the rumors prove true. Hopefully they also address the anemic video battery charge life and easy-to-scratch cases at the same time.

Posted by flatline response on March 21, 2006 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

If this product IS real and DOES come out and REPLACE the 60 5g, then wow.  The whole video thing is growing on me, after seeing how clear and bright the screen was.  Its about that time, I have a 3g. *old school*  I despised the 4G, the nano seemed nice, and the 5G was excellent, aside from the click wheel.  If the touch-ness comes back, I might be in the hole $400 in the next few months.  But how can they do that?  What else will they strip from the original contents?  Packaging?  Make the cable even SHORTER?  At least they should have some kind of accessory deal where buying a dock, remote, charger, and case yields a significant discount.  Ah, the 3G days, *sniff* R.I.P.

Posted by Jegero on March 21, 2006 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Having no accessories (aside from the headphones and usb cable) sucked.  You fork out hundreds of dollars for these things then they try to squeeze out more (I can’t at the moment afford av cables ac charger dock etc)and on top that you have to download the manual.  Having said that I love my 30gb. It looks so sleek way better than the earlier models.  I also have zero time so the only way I can watch dvds is to put them on my ipod and watch on the train.  Video is definitly worth it, I actually bought my ipod thinking that the video feature was a waste of time.  longer battery needs to be addressed, I only just make it through a 2h movie.

Posted by q on March 21, 2006 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

“Who the hell actually says things like that?”

People who are willing to pay a premium to get what they want, and can afford to do so.

Posted by stark23x on March 21, 2006 at 8:15 PM (PDT)

TO further comment on # 17(Greg Glockner), they have discontinued and ipod >1 yr old. The iPod mini 2nd Generation, launched around March 2005, dicontinued around July thanks to the ipod nano. I would know this because i bought the iPod mini 2nd generation in june, then out of nowhere came the nano and my iPod was obsolete.

Posted by Rebecca on March 21, 2006 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

OOPS! Caught myself, meant to say iPod less than a year old.

Posted by Rebecca on March 21, 2006 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

I very much doubt this story is true. Much more likely is that Apple is preparing to replace the 60GB with an 80GB model that is otherwise identical.

Posted by Countach on March 21, 2006 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

I just got an iPod video about a month ago. It’s the greatest thing I’ve held in my hands besides my wifes hand or my college diploma. I never have time to watch TV, or to watch the shows I really like (Tunes sells a lot of the shows I like). I could never watch my shows- NOW I CAN because they are always with me in my pocket wherever I go. I was able to wacth a whole season of one of my favorite shows in less than two weeks- and I only watched it whenever I had to STAND IN LINE! That’s creating time-That’s amazing. Come on…There is no beating that. When a device actually CREATES time for you, then you have to give credit where credit is due. I’m proud to own this product, and if Apple comes out with a new one , so be it.- I can still enjoy the one I have for a long time, then upgrade when I choose and sell the one I have to help fund the upgrade. You keep making those fine products , Apple, I’m with you all the way….

Posted by Hatman on March 21, 2006 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

Wow, now that microsoft finally creats an iPod PSP challenger, Apple probably will come out with something bigger.i’m really looking forward for an 80gb bigger wide screen iPod with bluetooth capabilities. that would be fabtastic

Posted by Luis on March 21, 2006 at 9:32 PM (PDT)

Honestly, this makes me 10x mad.  I’ve been hoping and asking for a IPod for years, and not once have my parents considered it until my birthday. I was so happy that I got a 60gb IPod Video, and to hear that they are going to upgrade it one month after my birthday, that sucks. I think that they should at least give us an upgrade if we bough the dicontinued ones. Maybe we should make a petition smile

Posted by Cole Turner on March 21, 2006 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

Well, my 60GB iPod purchased in December was just stolen, so I’ll hang fire for the moment on getting a replacement.  Certainly over 60GB would be good, since I hate having to chop up my music library.

Oh, and Kev - ‘dumber’ certainly is a word, it’s the comparative form of ‘dumb’.  The comparative form of ‘illiterate’ is, however, ‘more illiterate’.

Posted by entelechy on March 22, 2006 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

Well, I dont think I’d want anything bigger than my 60gig 5G in my pocket really.  I have a PSP I’d been lugging around in my pocket before that and witht he protective shell it really felt like an anchor in my pocket all the time.  NO thanks Apple.  Keep your widescreen nonsense.

Posted by NonstickRon on March 22, 2006 at 5:38 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >