Analyst expects widescreen iPod; Current 60GB iPod ‘at risk’ | iLounge News

Analyst expects widescreen iPod; Current 60GB iPod ‘at risk’

Apple could be phasing out its current high-end iPod to make room for a new widescreen video iPod, according to American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu. In a research note to clients, Wu said that Apple has notified its product distributors that the 60GB iPod is “at risk” until the end of April, which means the device could be discontinued or replaced. The analyst said he believes that a new widescreen video iPod with Bluetooth headphones could be introduced during Apple’s third quarter — April, May or June.

“The most interesting development here is that Apple has notified its distributors that its high-end $399 60GB iPod is ‘at risk’ until the end of April, meaning it could be discontinued and/or replaced around that time frame,” Wu said in the report. “As we have mentioned before, our checks indicate that Apple has been working on a widescreen iPod (we believe now likely with Bluetooth headphone capability). Timing is not certain to us but we believe this product could be ready as early as the June quarter.”

Wu also noted that the iPod nano “appears to be experiencing the greatest seasonal decline within the iPod family,” with the exception being “decent sales” of new 1GB model. “We believe Apple may need to increase storage capacities and/or cut prices to re-generate interest,” he said. “Declining prices in NAND flash and additional capacity coming on board should help Apple facilitate these moves.”

« French lawmakers approve bill to open iPod, iTunes

French lawmakers set to vote on music interoperability bill »

Comments

<i>“Who the hell actually says things like that?

Posted by Justin on March 22, 2006 at 12:09 PM (CST)

WWAAHHHHH.

The whining is incredible…to those who are upset because they’re new iPod is going to be “obsolete”, and I use that term lightly, because it’s not obsolete by definition -if you’re not happy with your iPod because Apple may release a new one, then you shouldn’t have one to begin with. Seriously…if the only reason you own one is because it’s “cool” and “new” and “top of the line” then you need to get a life. If you constantly have to keep up with Jobs and Co, you’re going to never be happy and you’ll constantly be buying a new unit. How many cars and homes and trust funds do you people want Jobs to have?

Posted by Ross on March 22, 2006 at 3:32 PM (CST)

I bought my new 15” PowerBook six weeks before Apple introduced the dual core Intel MacProBook.  I bought my new 60GB 5G video iPod one week after that.  I’m all for technologic advancement, but c’mon Apple give us a break.  Even the “early adopters” can’t keep up with this onslaught of newer, bigger, better, fancier product lines.  PLEASE just STOP and let us catch our collective breath for a year without feeling that whatever we just purchased is already obsolete. Jeez.

Posted by Pragmatist on March 22, 2006 at 6:09 PM (CST)

yo werewolf what are you talking about. the 4th gen ipods screen is freaking small. Its so not worth 300 bucks. apple finally came out with a product almost worth 300 bucks and its the best ipod to date. what is the downside of a big screen. what is the downside to it being thin. absolutely nothing. more battery life than any ipod and plays movies. to me i have no problem just not using the video funtion and enjoyin it.

Posted by yoshi on March 22, 2006 at 6:35 PM (CST)

I own a 3G iPod and this year I bought a Creative Zen Vision to watch video. It’s 640by480 screen and multiple format playback (it can play divx, xvid, mpeg4 and even has hardware although no firmware support for x264)
beat the iPod video hands down. Perhaps if
Apple released something as good as this product for video?

Posted by SasCpt on March 22, 2006 at 7:09 PM (CST)

“Bluetooth headphones, truely another inovative idea, a great product.”

Kev, what is so “innovative” about Bluetooth headphones - they’ve been around in some form or another for at least 2-3 years.

“Finally catching up” would be a better way to put this.

As someone who has been using a BT headphone for a while, it’s generally more trouble than it’s worth.  Not only do you now have two devices that you need to keep charged, but the charge always run out at the most inconvenient time, and the headphones are bulkier due to the battery.  And while you can run your iPod off power if it runs out, it is much more difficult to do so with headphones.

Posted by kokketiel on March 22, 2006 at 9:39 PM (CST)

I’m with David in comment #19. I don’t care about video, and I really hope that Apple doesn’t alienate those of us who simply want a music device by making all their iPods video. Do one thing and do it well, Apple. You’ve got music down, why muck it up?

If it turns out that those of us not interested in video are the minority, I hope one of Apple’s competitors steps up to fill in the gap of the disenfranchised.

And before someone says, “You don’t have to USE the video function…” I’m not willing to pay for features I don’t use. Not to mention the “touch-screen” idea doesn’t fly with me. Too prone to smudges, as someone else already mentioned.

Posted by Moe on March 23, 2006 at 12:56 PM (CST)

If you are satisfied with what you’re working with at the moment - why complain? The G5 is loved my many. First generation ipods are still around - and minis are all over the gym.

All in all, the more Apple comes out with the better the product should be in the long term. Wait a year and maybe something even more to your liking will come around.

But to spend some much energy on a device you haven’t seen, heard or held?

Hmmmmmm//

Posted by LC on March 23, 2006 at 4:53 PM (CST)

Bought a 4G iPod, 2 months later the 5G comes out.  OK, bought a 5G to have the “latest”, I’m sure they won’t orphan this one soon.  HA! Now I have 4 iPods.  A shuffle (my favorite, and most used), a 4G, a 5G, & a Nano.  I guess I’m just the kind of customer Apple wants.  PS: I just bought a Powerbook, before the announcement of the Intel version…......got me again!

Posted by bummed fan on March 24, 2006 at 11:15 AM (CST)

I heard last year, aroiund October that Apple was nearly done with the 80GB ipod. What happened with that? Any word?

Posted by Anthony on March 26, 2006 at 12:19 PM (CST)

Oh wow am I looking forward to a real widescreen Ipod.
I like the 60gb but it’s so uncomfortable for video. If I just wanted to listen to audio I would get a Nano.
Can’t wait. I only hope it comes out soon and that it plays Divx 5.0 which is better for movies since it has better compression from what i’ve experienced.

Posted by snarfer456 on March 27, 2006 at 4:14 PM (CST)

Maybe sony is using a 60gb HD for a new PSP with hard drive
or
Its an Apple PDA that is using a 60gb HD and possible the same body.  The PDA prob. has multimedia part of it and when you use it a virtual click wheel comes up.

Posted by grady on April 9, 2006 at 10:17 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3