Analyst: iPhone AT&T’s top selling device, #4 in US sales | iLounge News

Analyst: iPhone AT&T’s top selling device, #4 in US sales

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 19, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

Researchers for Strategy Analytics claim that the iPhone could become the best-selling handset in the US within the next six months. In addition, the handset has already become the best selling device for AT&T, according to reports. “The iPhone has become AT&T’s top selling device, commanding some 13 per cent of AT&T’s overall handset sales, and the fourth top selling handset in the US market,” said Barry Gilbert, vice president of the Strategy Analytics BuyerTRAX programs. “Although the iPhone hasn’t had an expansionary impact in the market, the iPhone has quickly assumed a leading market share position and raised the ante for smart devices. The sales trajectory we are observing with the iPhone could make it the top selling device in the US over the next 1-2 quarters.” The current best-selling handset, the Motorola RAZR V3, has seen its lead diminished recently, according to Strategy Analytics.

« PDO intros aluminum cases for iPod classic, nano 3G

iPod classic update causing disk-spinning bug? »

Comments

<cringes, waiting for the backlash>

I see the cell phone market as a much more fickle market than the music device market.  In other words, the “hot” device won’t be the “hot” device in six months.

I wonder if Apple has taken this into account in their future plans for their cell phones.  Their history shows that adaptation in their existing product lines is slow and steady - conservative.  I wonder if this philosophy can run in harmony with the cell phone market.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on October 19, 2007 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

6 months from now they can add fresh new features to keep it “hot” via a software update (ie 3rd party Apps)

Posted by Eric on October 19, 2007 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Motorola has milked the RAZR for like 4 years now, with little more in the way of updates aside from the colors of the phone itself.  Therefore I think the iPhone will hold up just fine over time.

Posted by RC on October 19, 2007 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

RC beat me to it, but the fact that the RAZR is still #1 after several years immediately dispels alexarch’s point.

And while everyone knocks Apple’s products for being nothing but “pretty” or “hot fads,” I’d say that describes my experience with the RAZR. Aside from it’s sleek and slim form factor, I found it to be a PITA.

I think the iPhone (or its direct Apple descendents) will be doing just fine 2-3 years from now.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 19, 2007 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

I hope other Phone Manufacturers step up to the plate with Better devices. The Sony-Ericsson Walkmans are Pathetic and Motorola haven’t had a usable GUI in years. Nokia are obviously out in front, but their latest iPhone Killer hasn’t been comparable to the iPhone.

Posted by Dan Woods on October 19, 2007 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

I played with an iPhone at AT&T a couple days ago while getting our account paid. I couldn’t get used to the flat panel that becomes a keyboard. I kept hitting the wrong keys. I must need the tactile feedback that a real keyboard gives.
Also, I’m a guy, and I think the phone’s too small for my hands. My Samsung’s small, but the “real” key buttons must make that a less of a problem.

Posted by FloydC on October 20, 2007 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

I don’t see the keyboard as a problem, even though I often hit the wrong keys. The iPhone’s keyboard logic looks for “mistyped” words that fall into patters like “you missed the key by one”. The best advice I heard about keyboarding on the iPhone is “just go to it.” Trust that the iPhone will understand what you were trying to type. I’ve found that in almost all cases, it’s worked, and my typing speed has gotten very fast now.

Posted by lkalliance on October 21, 2007 at 8:33 AM (PDT)