Analyst: iPod sales down slightly in February | iLounge News

Analyst: iPod sales down slightly in February

iPod unit sales for the month of February fell slightly versus the month of January, though the downtick was felt industry wide. “While iPod units fell slightly month over month in February, this downtick was in line with the overall MP3 player market,” Piper Jaffary analyst Gene Munster said today. “iPod market share was unchanged from January to February at approximately 70%.” Based on the decline, figured from NPD sales data, Munster now expects iPod unit sales of 10 million to 11 million for the March quarter. “After the first month of March quarter data (January), we had been pointing to a range of 11m-12m units,” Munster said. “Data for the month of February, however, fell slightly from January, for both Apple and the market overall, which is inconsistent with what we have seen in previous years from January to February.”

« iTunes Store gets ‘Complete My Album’ feature

Alesis debuts iMultiMix mixer with iPod recording »

Comments

Maybe people are catching on to the fact that there is a vastly better iPod than the 5g done and waiting to be released once Apple has sold it’s fill of watered down versions with a cell phone in it. God I hope so, they will never release it if people keep buying the current iPods like they are the best things since sliced bread.

Posted by JuanoTejano on March 28, 2007 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

everybody is waiting for a new 6G iPod, why it takes soooo long apple?¡

Posted by gonzalo on March 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

I only buy even numbered generations of iPods. If Apple wants more of my money they better hurry up with a 120GB iPod with a touchscreen interface and coverflip.

Posted by Scott on March 28, 2007 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

Posted by DPdouglas on March 28, 2007 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

....I, like many of you, am waiting to spend my money on a widescreen ipod (100+ GB).  The thing that sucks the most is that I will probably have to wait until after the iphone comes out (not interested).  Apple takes forever and we all know, if they say one month, it doesn’t ship until the next.

Posted by Tak on March 28, 2007 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

iPod sales fell in February? Huh. You know what else experienced a decline in sales for February?

Christmas trees.

Munster, Go Home.

Posted by Multimoog on March 28, 2007 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

“I don’t understand who is supposed to be buying all of these iPods? I mean, how many iPods can a person buy. Almost everyone seems to have one…”

iPod ownership might seem ubiquitous if you live in a big cosmopolitan city, but trust me: Most people don’t have an iPod…yet.

I personally am eagerly awaiting the 6G iPod; my 5G has been giving me a lot of problems of late.  I just hope it’s compatible with my current accessories.

Posted by Camembert on March 28, 2007 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

I need a new iPod… am on the verge of buying a second one be it a new 5.5G or if I’m able to hold of till a 6G.

My music library alone has grown well beyond my 60GB iPod (76GBs), and I still need to leave room for me subcribed podcasts and TV Shows, as well as near daily DVD rips.

As for the February sales… I would expect it wouldn’t you? Christmas would be a big BOOM in sales.  Then January people that were waiting and didn’t get one, would go get one. As well as the people who got a bunch of cash and wanted an iPod.  By February those sale are gone so it’s back to basic ‘everyday purchases’ for things like that.

Posted by iScott on March 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

I’m waiting on the iPhone even though I have a 5th Gen. iPod.

Posted by AZ on March 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

I wish I was an analyst.  Imagine; your name in the news, first looks at new products, and, best of all, getting paid to point out the blatantly obvious.

Okay here’s my analysis;  I’m predicting that sales of the 5G iPod will come to a dramatic halt following the release of the 6G iPod.  I also predict that 6G iPod sales will increase as soon as they hit store shelves and will continue to sell until the 7G iPod is released.  I’ve taken a look at past numbers and can safely assume that the new iPod will be white in color and have an Apple logo on the back.

Did I do well?  May I please have a job, Piper Jaffray?

Posted by Matthew on March 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

I bought one in February! (a blue shuffle.)

This is my second iPod. The first is the 60GB video, bought last year. I use that one mainly at home, but find the shuffle more convenient to use at work, on trains, etc.

I’m glad I procrastinated, because while I did, the new colors came out, and I like the blue much better than the silver!

Posted by Trad18 on March 28, 2007 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

Am I the only one who was disappointed by the lack of enhancements to the audio playback of the iPhone?  The 5.5G gave us a few great new goodies that were IMO long overdue.  But when do we get a real EQ for the iPod?  I don’t want a damn PDA, I want the best portable music player I can get my hands on.  To that end, the iPhone is more of sidestep than a step up.

Posted by mojohand on March 30, 2007 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

Decline in sales of iPod is surprising as we have not heard of this in the past few years now.Anyways,apple seems to pushing release of 6G iPod too deep and now it seems it wont be out until the iPhone,so we have to WAIT a couple of months more.

Posted by Ronnie Cooper on April 3, 2007 at 10:13 AM (PDT)