Analyst: iPod sales fueling resurgence in Mac platform | iLounge News

Analyst: iPod sales fueling resurgence in Mac platform

The so-called iPod halo effect is in full swing, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who noted today that a large number of iPod users are turning into new Mac computer purchasers. “The formula is working,” Munster said in a research note. “The 68 million iPods sold in the past five years (39 million of those were sold in the last 12 months) are translating to the resurgence in the Mac platform with worldwide Mac market share increasing from 2.1% in March of 2006 to 2.8% today.” The analyst belives Apple’s iTV and the long-rumored iPhone will also help boost the number of Mac users. “We believe in 6 months the halo effect will expand beyond a simple iPod-to-Mac correlation into a four-way relationship with iPod, Mac, iPhone, and iTV benefiting from each other’s success,” Munster said. “If this plays out, Apple’s growth rate should accelerate in 2007.”

« Study: More than 90 minutes of loud music harmful

Microsoft: Apple to blame for Windows virus »

Comments

Wow, I’d worry less about spreading the cult of mac and concentrate on those 68 million ipods! That’s a LOT.  I mean, that’s a real lot.  Huge, huge success.  If Apple listened just a little more to the customer about the whole ipod/itunes experience, they could raise that number higher each year.  Mac sales will be what they will, I wouldn’t lose focus on the enourmous ipod success.

Posted by stark23x on October 19, 2006 at 2:17 PM (CDT)

I agree with this completely as I am one of the “converts”. I bought an iPod Shuffle, loved the product, wanted better integration, and bought an iBook as a result. From that I’ve purchased more iPods and am set for my second Apple-branded computer. iTV and iPhone also on the Christmas list. Maybe not this year but hopefully next.

Posted by Chris on October 19, 2006 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

I am tried of these bloody analysts always bantering about and missing their projected marks. What a load of crap from an overpaid profession. If they are so enamored with Apple now, where were they before? Peter Drucker would have had a field day with these louts.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 19, 2006 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

Go Apple!  I’m getting myself a Mac too.  I’ve had it with Microsoft!  I love my ipod - and I’m sure I’ll love my Mac too!!!!

Posted by mikkimann on October 19, 2006 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

If I ever see a Piper Jaffray building, im going to pee on it and spray paint a Windows logo.

Posted by moo on October 19, 2006 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

Awww. moo is too poor to afford a mac. Boo hoo. Too bad.

Posted by MattinTX on October 19, 2006 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

I have a PowerMac G3, G4 and a G5.

Just happens in this world some people have more brains than others.

Posted by moo on October 19, 2006 at 5:17 PM (CDT)

moo,

If you can make the Windows logo out of pee…I’ll be impressed.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 19, 2006 at 5:18 PM (CDT)

I find that owning an iPod has put me off owning a Mac.

Apple’s support policies do not give me comfort in buying a computer from them. They ditch their old products and move on quickly, even when Microsoft does that you can still get updates and new software for it while Mac OS sees only the latest version getting new versions of Apple’s software.

I don’t rate Apple’s responsiveness to issues. It has taken them months to fix issues with the iPod’s firmware and iTunes 7 is far from ideal.

Posted by Daveoc64 on October 19, 2006 at 6:08 PM (CDT)

Moo. So you own 3 macs but you make a windows fanboy comment like that. Sure. What did Jaffray say that offended you. Yes you definitley arn’t one of the smartest people in the world.

Posted by MAttinTX on October 19, 2006 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

I totally agreed with you Daveoc64.

The way Apple lauched iTunes V7 still puts me off till this day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Apple fan but just to let Stevie and his coolgang know, NEVER LAUNCH A PRODUCT IF IT’S ISN’T READY. That just stinks of the Windows’ mentality!

Because of that, i’ve wasted soo much time trying to downgrade to the lower version of both itunes and ipod. (ESP for the ipod version downgrade) As a result, i’m sceptical about all these new s/w launches. Just leave a bad taste to my wonderful ipod experience till now.

Posted by Andy See on October 19, 2006 at 7:42 PM (CDT)

I’ve had (3) ipods that I purchased over the past four years. Recently I purchased a MAC mini. It is my first Apple computer and I wouldn’t have bought it if it didn’t have an Intel processor in it. My guess is that the new sales are a combination of ipod halo effect AND intel processors.

Posted by gear on October 20, 2006 at 7:59 AM (CDT)

Marin Texas, you sound like the typical person that owns an iMac or iBook because you are far to loyal to one brand which is quite sad(which is why I said more brains than you).

Analyst’s are way too much on Apples pogo stick, which really p’s me off.

But I could say the same for you too.

Posted by moo on October 20, 2006 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Funny I see this after I made my first Apple computer purchase. I’ve come a long way ‘round since my formative years of learning Basic code on an Apple IIe. I am a rcent convert due to the iPod halo phenomenon. Especially with the advent of Apple’s BootCamp, I can have the best of both worlds. In practical terms: I can have the wonderful design that Apple brings to it’s hardware and OS AND use the same machine to run the AutoCAD program, an essential tool in my profession.

Posted by sonicwhirlydisc on October 20, 2006 at 3:59 PM (CDT)