Analyst: iPod video, color minis in October | iLounge News

Analyst: iPod video, color minis in October

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, July 29, 2005
News Categories: iPod

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu expects Apple to ship its video iPod in October.

In a research note discussing Portal Player’s second quarter financial results, Wu wrote: “We believe new iPods including color iPod minis, higher capacity flash, and a video-capable iPod will not likely ship until the October timeframe in the December quarter.”

Wu said he expects Apple to ship 7.1 million iPods this quarter, 3.1 million of which will be iPod shuffles. He also believes that Portal Player has “secured the design win in a new 2GB iPod mini using flash” and that Apple will discontinue its 4GB iPod mini.

« Hebe Styling intros iFi stereo dock for iPod

Griffin unveils iFM for iPod »

Comments

what would be the point in a 2gb mini?... especially with a 1gb shuffle. seems stupid.

a 4/6gb flash mini would be hot though.

Posted by Travis on July 29, 2005 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

what would be the point in a 2gb mini?

A 2GB mini with a mini-SD slot for adding 1/2/4GB cards might be hot. 1GB cards are now around $50.

Posted by Demosthenes on July 29, 2005 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

man, it feels like this guy is just releasing info like there’s no tomorrow - If I were in his place, I’d be worried that Steve Jobs would have me shot.  I can’t imagine apple appreciates anything this… specific

Posted by Puck in washington dc on July 29, 2005 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

I agree with demosthenes, what the point of 2g minis,

i am hoping that apple would make a photo-mini with hi cap storage like 20g and a color screen.  thats a WOW ipod mini

Posted by PHILIPPINE BOY on July 30, 2005 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

I’m in the market for an ipod but want to know when the ipod mini’s with a color lcd screen are coming, because its between waiting for the mini or get the 20 gig color now that i just learned came with a color screen. if anyone can shed some light on a date let me know. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Posted by Tony on July 31, 2005 at 12:27 AM (PDT)

i’m looking forward to a color iPod mini since my iPod photo 30gb is really prone to scratches. i just like the aluminium case they put in the mini iPod.

Posted by patrick on July 31, 2005 at 3:20 AM (PDT)

I agree with Puck on this one, that dude is a marked man.

That being said, I hope he’s right. I’d love a 2GB Mini. Always been a fan of their design, but since I’ve already got a 20GB BW iPod and a 512MB shuffle, it seems like too much money to spend on something I really don’t need. A 2GB mini would be cheaper and cool, because it’s got a color screen.

Posted by Mondayne on July 31, 2005 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

I dont like the idea of a 2gb mini but more storage in a mini’s small packaging would be great. And I think with a color screen, they will sell like hot cakes. Also, if you have any info/ rumors on the color screen minis please post it (I can’t wait for them to come out!!).

Posted by me on August 1, 2005 at 1:19 PM (PDT)