Analyst: New iPod nanos coming, ‘true’ video iPod delayed | iLounge News

Analyst: New iPod nanos coming, ‘true’ video iPod delayed

Apple is likely to introduce new higher-capacity iPod nanos this Summer, but could delay the release of a video iPod with a larger screen until early next year, according to one analyst. Citing yesterday’s warning from PortalPlayer, Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster said he expects 8GB and 10GB iPod nanos to be released in late Summer or early Fall. “Releasing new nanos during the back-to-school timeframe would allow Apple to capitalize on this seasonally stronger buying period, but, more importantly, we need to see the products in the market by October-November to take full advantage of holiday buying,” he said.

Munster said Apple could push back the release of a larger-screen video iPod until 2007. “While we do expect that Apple will release this product at some point, it is difficult to pin-point the timing,” he said. “Apple’s strategy could be to wait for increased availability of video content on iTunes, such as feature film, which would likely cause the company to hold back on launching in 2006.”

Munster also gave his predictions for other new Apple products. He expects new Intel-based iBooks in July, new Intel-based Power Macs this Fall (Sep-Nov), Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard next January, and an Apple iPhone sometime in 2007. “We continue to expect multiple new and upgraded products from Apple in the next 12 months,” Munster said. “New Intel-based Macs are a given, but we also expect new iPods and, potentially, an iPhone.”

« Apple says iPods eco-friendly, expands Mac recycling program

Mix: Music pricing, MP3 player inventor, The Onion, OSU »

Comments

As long as Apple is still trouncing all competition, I think they would be wise to slow down the upgrade cycle on iPods. They have a reputation for replacing them every few months, which I think leads people to be leery of buying them… i.e. they are always waiting for the next big thing.

They really have no big incentive to be completely revamping the entire line every 6 months.

Posted by ort on April 20, 2006 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

Okay, I waited and waited to buy an iPod Nano.  I wanted one at Christmas but no, I waited thinking maybe the price would drop after Christmas.  Finally, this past Monday I bought my 2GB Nano as an Easter present to myself.  I’m not concerned with the new product itself, I’m going to be mad if they lower the price on the exiting units!  I don’t need huge amounts of space and I much prefer flash memory to hard drives.  I would have liked 4 or 8 GB, but couldn’t justify spending over $200.  Lesson is that you can’t wait forever to buy something.  If you want it, get it!  Waiting for price changes anymore with how fast technology changes is an exercise in futility.

Posted by Tonya on April 20, 2006 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

with the “video iPod” possibly delayed until 2007, I wonder if we’ll see a capacity bump (60GB—>80GB) for the 5G iPod? Maybe at the same time as the upgraded Nanos?  Would make sense to keep the “buzz” going until the 6G iPod comes out.

Posted by redsoxnation on April 20, 2006 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

I find this a dissapointment.  I think all will agree that the 5G was as much a stopgap solution as anything else.  My monochrome 4G continues to wear down, but I find myself with no reasonable alternatives, save wait until Apple’s engineering can roll out a real improvment on a terrific device.  I can only hope the wait will be worth it.

Posted by brian on April 20, 2006 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

thats horrible!
I saved my money up for the true ipod and it looks like that i now could spend it on something else because it is coming out not as soon as i thought! i though it would be coming out any day now…but it look as if i was wrong..

Posted by arsenij on April 20, 2006 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

The problem with the notion of pushing back the flagship iPod release to next year from the usual fall introduction is that it’s only going to build anticipation for the new 6G, and detract attention (and sales) from the 5G, unless redsoxnation’s premise of a cap bump comes true. But even so, considering that everyone is anticipating that the 6G will be a true video-friendly player, only music fans would probably sign on in any sort of quantity for an updated 5G, and even then they would probably be well aware that a new model will be available Real Soon Now.

Personally, I think Apple should stick to their customary introduction cycle. Whether one equates the iPod to being a fashion accessory or to being like any other cyclical product-maker, new replacement product generally hits store shelves at dependable intervals. And somehow I don’t see Apple passing up the opportunity of serving up a Brand New (and HOT) Widget for a holiday shopping season.

Bottom lines must be maintained, after all.

Posted by flatline response on April 20, 2006 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

Personally I think it would be wise for Apple to do a small update soon with some new software features and new HDD sizes (40GB and 80GB).

Posted by Daveoc64 on April 20, 2006 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

who cares about a new Video-iPod, there are still improvements to be made on the older iPods that can be done threw software. Just Look at Rockbox. Those guys show you that a lot can be done with software.

Posted by roger767 on April 20, 2006 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

i have been counting, and it has been like 8 months already since the 5g has come out so the true one should be coming, because as i knotesed apple gave around 5 months gap between the ipods(usually), so i am REALLY UPSET that the plans are changing

Posted by arsenij on April 20, 2006 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

I’m sick of these ‘analysts’ making their half-assed predictions when most of them don’t mean jack anyways….

Posted by Huskerz85 on April 20, 2006 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

yes Huskerz85…this sounds more like a weather forcast than an analysis….“ITS GONNA RAIN!”

Posted by name on April 20, 2006 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

I am hoping that Apple introduces a higher capacity Nano, as I really want one, yet I don’t want an iPod video.  I bought my iPod a year ago, when the Photo was the top of the line, so it would be nice to sell it and buy a nice higher capacity nano!

Posted by Daniel on April 20, 2006 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

A 10GB flash-based nano?  Great Googly Moogly!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 20, 2006 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

I have zero interest in getting a video iPod because the screen is just too darn small to be practical.  I would, however, definitely get an 8 or 10 GB Nano.  The only reason I haven’t gotten a Nano yet is it would be silly when I have a 6 GB mini.  Why pay all that money for something of less capacity?

Posted by Jeddak in Louisville, KY on April 20, 2006 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Jeddak,

It’s smaller?  Is your library more than 6 gigs?  If so, then you are already used to managing a library that is less than your iPod holds, so I doubt you’d even notice the 2 gig difference, but you will notice the smaller size.

Posted by mtnagel in Cincinnati, OH on April 20, 2006 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

i really hope this new ‘video’ ipod or any new ipod is all touch sensitive.  3G right here!  Love it, don’t like the clicky ness.  and with the $50 store credit, i can’t wait.

Posted by jegero on April 20, 2006 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

I have nothing really say as far as speculation with a new iPod.  All I can say is that Rockbox gets me through the day with my 4g and my Nano 2gb of course with rockbox on it as well which is perfect for working out…that’s all!!!

Posted by Oliver on April 20, 2006 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

Excellent.  I’ve been anxious for a 6GB and up Nano.  I would buy one the instant it goes on sale.  It’s all I want.

Posted by Sean on April 20, 2006 at 9:28 PM (PDT)

NOOOO!!! i just got my 5g ipod and now theyre releasing better nanos!... its happening all over agen! this happened when i got my 2g mini!

Posted by pt.2k6 on April 21, 2006 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

mtnagel,

My library is over 20GBs.  My point is, just because it is smaller doesn’t mean it is automatically better.  I did not see the reason behind Apple coming out with a Nano that had less capicity than the Mini was at the time, except to get the gullible people who have to have EVERY single model to buy it.  If the Mini was at 6 GB, they should have released the Nano in 8-10 GB right off the bat.

Posted by Jeddak in Louisville, KY on April 21, 2006 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >