Analyst: New iPod nanos coming, ‘true’ video iPod delayed | iLounge News

Analyst: New iPod nanos coming, ‘true’ video iPod delayed

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, April 20, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Apple is likely to introduce new higher-capacity iPod nanos this Summer, but could delay the release of a video iPod with a larger screen until early next year, according to one analyst. Citing yesterday’s warning from PortalPlayer, Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster said he expects 8GB and 10GB iPod nanos to be released in late Summer or early Fall. “Releasing new nanos during the back-to-school timeframe would allow Apple to capitalize on this seasonally stronger buying period, but, more importantly, we need to see the products in the market by October-November to take full advantage of holiday buying,” he said.

Munster said Apple could push back the release of a larger-screen video iPod until 2007. “While we do expect that Apple will release this product at some point, it is difficult to pin-point the timing,” he said. “Apple’s strategy could be to wait for increased availability of video content on iTunes, such as feature film, which would likely cause the company to hold back on launching in 2006.”

Munster also gave his predictions for other new Apple products. He expects new Intel-based iBooks in July, new Intel-based Power Macs this Fall (Sep-Nov), Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard next January, and an Apple iPhone sometime in 2007. “We continue to expect multiple new and upgraded products from Apple in the next 12 months,” Munster said. “New Intel-based Macs are a given, but we also expect new iPods and, potentially, an iPhone.”

« Apple says iPods eco-friendly, expands Mac recycling program

Mix: Music pricing, MP3 player inventor, The Onion, OSU »

Comments

Newsflash! Analysts still making wild predictions out of their rears and people still believing them like they’re news. Film at eleven.

Posted by Moe on April 21, 2006 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

I currently have a 15gb Iod 3g, bourght within days of launch of the model, i only use 7gb of the space so would buy a 8gb nano as soon as they appear, i would love the smaller size. I tried a 4gb mini but the battery life was bad and i couldnt fit all my tunes on!!

Dan

Posted by Daniel O'Donnell on April 21, 2006 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

I have a 4GB Nano (my first-ever iPod) and while I do love the thing, I’d be up at the front of the line to upgrade to a 10GB version.

Now if only Apple could make one that plays for more than 6.5-7.5 hours on a single charge…. (I’m talking actual time under real-world conditions here, not the pie-in-the-sky 14 hours that Apple claims.)

Posted by Rob in Memphis on April 21, 2006 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

I just received the $50 credit from the class action lawsuit (from 3G ipod I got my son as a gift).  Credit expires in October. Don’t care about waiting for 6G ipod, but how likely is it an upgraded 5G will come out before October?

Posted by Terry in Des Moines on April 21, 2006 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Doesn’t it say October…2007?  mine does.

Posted by Jegero on April 21, 2006 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

Jeddak, “smaller” might not be better to you, but just because you don’t see the benefit to it doesn’t mean that Apple didn’t have a good reason to introduce it.  Really, by that logic, why did Apple bother introducing the iPod mini, which had a smaller capacity than the regular iPod, and whose only benefit was that it was smaller.

The iPod mini had appeal because it was smaller than the regular iPod and thus easier to take around…... and the iPod Nano was even smaller still, and so thin that it can easily fit into a pocket.  This is a benefit to many people, and is the reason it was released.  The capacity issue wasn’t specifically a big part of the equation.

Posted by zadillo on April 21, 2006 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

its obvious wut is going to happen. Apple warns of possible price drop, new 8-10gb nanos? HELLO! the price of the current nanos will drop to allow room for the higher capacity to move in. there will be nanos in 1, 2, 4, and 8-10Gb, black and white, also according to my sources, a man in cupertino, he is telling me new metal anodised nanos r coming in the old mini colours, lookin gud apple!

Posted by kp on April 22, 2006 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

I’m among the group who was gullible and purchased a 2 gig nano the week it came out because I like to purchase every new model.  While it’s got a cool, thin, credit card design, I still prefer my 4 gig Mini.  The ergonomics are more comfortable in your hand, and 2 gigs is really not enough space.  I can’t wait for an 8 or 10 gig model, but I agree with the earlier comment here that was made which pointed out that Apple could have waited to replace the Mini with a model that had more capacity, especially for the price.  It’s very important to look at the gig/$$$ ratio.  If you think about it, $150 for a 1 gig is crazy compared to less than $7 a gig for a 60 gig model.

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on April 24, 2006 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

i restrained myself from buying the video cause its really aint jsut good watching on it… i really was waiting with bithng fingernail for the ‘touch-pod’ it least be better watching… and i never read the would release new nanos?... is t as realiable as that predection that the v2shuffles would come in januari? never was true also. im a first time apple user. bought a nano 4g white last week with a radio remote an im happy with it.

Posted by Roy on April 25, 2006 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

I’ve a 60Gb iPod 5G and am delighted!  Tiny movies will be great and much better than staring at the ceiling on plane flights, etc.  And it can be kept in my shirt pocket.  2.5” image is small, but it’s *sharp* which helps a lot.

I can’t imagine a 10G flash unit as some have suggested to be practical in the market with current flash prices.  Maybe later as flash prices decline and/or when the Intel/Micron joint venture starts cranking out flash parts.

Posted by Mike on April 28, 2006 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

I agree, a 10gb nano is not ready for the market…the price would be too high. I do see a nano and video with current issues resolved as the next upgrades as suggested by someone.

As far as rumors about the full face display ipod…I don’t see that in the near future, especially if the control would be an on-screen virtual touch wheel. Do they have technology that would keep the display from ever getting scratched and dulled by constant touching to access and use control functions?

If a full screen ipod video is to succeed, it will have to be radically changed in design. Controlls on the side or something like that to keep the convenient small size. The trademark control wheel would probably have to go.

...and why not a flip-ipod? You get a larger screen and it’s protected while not in use plus no greasy prints and scratches from the on-screen control section to distract you from enjoying your video playback. I see two sets of controls; One on the outside to control your music, audio podcasts and all non-video stuff. When you flip it open, the inside has another layer of controls but these control the video options(or both). When it is closed, it looks like a regular ipod…It would look like a gamboy advanced when cracked open, only way, way cooler.
Apple has a way with making stuff pretty.

It will be a while, but, I can still dream about it.

Posted by deaf_by_ipod on April 28, 2006 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2