Analyst: Photo iPod yes, Video no, Wireless no | iLounge News

Analyst: Photo iPod yes, Video no, Wireless no

MacMinute reports: “While Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Milunovich expects a U2-edition iPod, flash-based iPod and photo iPod, he does not think Apple will introduce a video player iPod or add wireless capability in the near future.” Milunovich, who spoke with key Apple executives, walked away with strong evidence that a photo iPod would include A/V output jacks for television viewing, but that video or wireless (Bluetooth/802.11G) functionality was unlikely based on practicality, power consumption and other issues.

« Apple to announce AAC+

iLounge reports live from Apple-U2 event »

Comments

I read the article but they don’t mention whether or not it wil have a color screen?!?! If the ipod will have A/V out why wouldn’t be able to play movies? I’m pretty sure we can hack that part but the article stated that the release might not be expected till early next year :-

Posted by AZ on October 26, 2004 at 10:42 AM (CDT)

Pls check Ipod.com

ther is a new type of ipod out….Ipod photo which has a color screen and can ONLY display photos…no vids…no wireless…costs 500 and 700 for a 40GB and 60GB….ther isnt anythin new cept for the color screen and a 3 hour boost of bat life to 15 hours.

Posted by Shashwat on October 26, 2004 at 3:01 PM (CDT)

I have to agree, this ipod is kinda pointless, you pay 100 bucks more just for a color screen.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on October 26, 2004 at 3:37 PM (CDT)

My name is Steve Jobs and I am so proud I never like to say I am wrong so because I have said “Video is dumb” like 5 billion times in public because other people had video players years before the iPod, I will go on making sure there is no video.

Until there is, of course, when enough Apple execs manage to convince me to see sense.

Posted by video over my dead body on October 26, 2004 at 3:44 PM (CDT)

Couldn’t the analyst have waited a little longer before saying no photo iPod until 2005? :)

Posted by Nagromme on October 26, 2004 at 3:53 PM (CDT)

Well, that’s what analysts do. If they were so clever and could predict the future, they’d all be even richer.
Now they get money because they make people believe they know the future…

The color screen is actually nice. Can you browse the library by cover art?

Posted by Elhabash on October 27, 2004 at 4:24 AM (CDT)

what is with you people who want the iPod to play video, now please tell me where are you gonna watch it, on the subway, in the street, in the gym.  They all cry out “mug me or steal me”.  Anyway the screen size would be crap and the battery life non existent.  The iPod is a music player first and foremost some of you seem tohave lost sight of that.

Posted by glad1959 on October 27, 2004 at 6:09 AM (CDT)

So where you watch your pictures then? On the subway, in the street, in the gym ??

Posted by Hybrid on October 27, 2004 at 6:43 AM (CDT)

This is for Elhabash.
To start with, I must say I think the iPod is great as it is. An excellent audio player. A grayscale screen is more than enough for an audio player, but when you buy an iPod that costs 100$ more than normal you expect something more than a color screen JUST to watch photographs. The color screren is there, so why no video? Maybe a Video iPod is stupid, but how stupid is a Photo iPod?!?! Who want’s to see a 2 inch photograph!? I don’t see any functionality!
I certainly would prefer watching futurama episodes on a small screen rather than cycling through a bunch of photographs….

Posted by Debugger on October 27, 2004 at 4:01 PM (CDT)

This new iPod is I must say, extermely pointless. Why bother coming out with a device that can only upload photos from your computer and NOT from your digital camera? Stay tuned as Apple will be under pressure to come out with iPod Video soon and realise versatility is the name of the game!

Posted by con the grocer on October 27, 2004 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

has any thought that the ipod controls are the best and most intuitive set up for playing/ finding music however would suck at any other task eg playing games or viewing/zooming in on photos. im sticking with my 20gb g4

Posted by winston on October 28, 2004 at 3:16 AM (CDT)