Analyst says flash-based iPod by Christmas | iLounge News

Analyst says flash-based iPod by Christmas

“Thomas Weisel market analyst Jason Pflaum said: ‘I recently spent two weeks in Asia meeting with a number of folks who are in a position to know details of SigmaTel’s supply chain. Based on our industry contacts, we are confident that, one, Apple is planning to launch a flash-based player, and two, SigmaTel is the provider of controller chip for that device.’”

« iPod2Car Adaptor released

iParties downunder »

Comments

i dont think so!

why?
isnt the mini small enough???

Posted by wora on October 21, 2004 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

I’d buy one for both of my kids immediately!!!!!!

Posted by Ishgabibbel on October 21, 2004 at 9:49 AM (CDT)

Yep, I have an neice and a nephew, and I would buy each of them one for christmas.

Posted by Undercover Mac Brother on October 21, 2004 at 10:00 AM (CDT)

I think it would be worth it, Apple really only covers the high to mid level markets on DMP. and donr have a player that is right at the 100.00 range. If apple made a 1gig flash type player and was to price it at like 99 to 129 I think it would do well…

Posted by Zardoz on October 21, 2004 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

Well, what if they just replaced the 4 GB microdrive with a 4 GB compact flash—exact same size, price, and form factor?

It would be a bit faster for use, would use a bit less memory, and would be more durable, and with 0 likelihood of crashing or blowing out the drive.

This sort of thing would be a change that wouldn’t be worth Apple’s publicizing (it’s just an implementation detail), but it would result in a better product.  That’s my guess.

Posted by mootsie on October 21, 2004 at 10:24 AM (CDT)

It wouldn’t be 1GB flash. That’s way to expensive. As long as it has the simplicity and ease of use as the iPod, it doesn’t matter the MB/GB - it’ll sell like hot cakes.

Posted by kainjow on October 21, 2004 at 10:25 AM (CDT)

As long as it is more than 512mb (The minimum required to have a half-decent amount of songs on it), I’m buying one!! :)

Posted by Xenoxide on October 21, 2004 at 10:44 AM (CDT)

mootsie, The idea is they need something to be in the low end price range. that would be in the 100 dollar area 4GB flash cost to much.

kainjow, nope not at all. 1GB pen drives are now at the sub 100.00 level. apple could prolly get 1GB flash memory low enough to make a player at about 130 or so…

Posted by Zardoz on October 21, 2004 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

I think analysts are smoking something.  They are rarely ever right.  Why would they offer a cheaper model and take sales away from the more expensive versions, which are flying off the shelf??  It just doesn’t make sense and wouldn’t be good business.  If an Asian company is making something to use flash memory, then it has to be something else.  They thought there was going to be a set-top box and then the Airport Extreme came out.  Everyone thought there was a tablet, but it was really the all-in-one G5 iMac.

Posted by Warrenpeace on October 21, 2004 at 11:03 AM (CDT)

maybe apple will build the flash into the current ipod to allow tracks to buffer into it and have seamless/crossover music. just like in itunes.

Posted by tim on October 21, 2004 at 11:38 AM (CDT)

This is exactly what I’ve been saying for the past year now.  Apple needs sub $200 players if they want to increase their dominance in the mp3 player market.  See, right now Apple has no impact on the flash market.  In order to maximize their control over potential consumers Apple hopes that after purchasing a low-level flash device you will upgrade to the bigger, more expensive models after experiencing the iTunes + iPod experience.  I’m only surprised that they didn’t start this sooner.  Seems like common sense to me.

Posted by adrenaline on October 21, 2004 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

I’m much more interested in when the 2G mini will come out. I’m waiting on the next version b4 i buy one for my g/f.

Posted by Scot on October 21, 2004 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

What if this is for Motorola and not Apple? I do not know enough about Motorola’s suppliers but just guessing. If Apple were to release something for Christmas, wouldn’t they have brought it to market by now? I have read a lot of mixed rumors on this, I guess we will see what Rabbit Steve pulls from his hat next, personally, I want a 100 gb ipod, I’d just use it as the storage device for my library so I could stop luggin round my LaCie 120.

Posted by Stephen Peterson on October 21, 2004 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

is this anything like the 199 dollar ipod?

Posted by dave on October 21, 2004 at 12:26 PM (CDT)

Flash player?  Lame…

Here comes the $99 “teh suckPod”... ;-)

Posted by AMG on October 21, 2004 at 12:50 PM (CDT)

I agree with Stephen.  I’d like to see apple come out with some kind of very large music player/storage device with high quality analog/digital outs to hook up to a home stereo.  If it can be portable as well—like a 100 gb iPod—that’d be great.  DMC has a 100GB Xclef out now, which isn’t very nice looking, but it’s got a 100 gigs in a (large) handheld player.

Posted by nk on October 21, 2004 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

It is definitely what Apple needs.  But, Apple has been good at innovation, they always loose out by trying to milk the most profits out of these innovations.  Learn from Microslug “Define the Standard”

Apple currently has the electronic Music market with the iPod and iTunes.  It needs to spread this standard to all segments of the market (including low end flash players).

If they don’t, current buyers of Flash players are going to be loading their PC’s with music in windows format. And when the other HD players catch up to the iPod (they will), it will be windows type players they will buy.

In two years, Apple will be adding WMA format to the iPod.

Don’t believe me . . . look at the history of Apple computer from the Mouse to Quicktime.

Posted by ron on October 21, 2004 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

I bought the first gen 20 gig Ipod and I would love to relegate it to the car and pick up on for running. Even smaller than the mini, cheaper, and I could see gifting them out. I bought a mini for a friend for his birthday. Too damn expensive for a casual gift.

Posted by Christopher on October 21, 2004 at 2:42 PM (CDT)

Is it possible for apple to release a 4 GB mini? How much did a 4 GB micro drive cost prior to the relese of the mini. I remember it being more than the price of the mini. I think apple can pull this off.

Posted by jim on October 21, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

1 gb or 4 gb, if it’s flash-based and really small, I’d buy one. I’ve got a 40g iPod (and would love a 100g one), but when I run, I need something indestructible and small enough to clip on to a flimsy pair of running shorts. I just fried a Creative Nomad Muvo that I loved. But one that would play my iTunes music would be the best.

Posted by tel on October 21, 2004 at 4:57 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >