Analyst says flash-based iPod by Christmas | iLounge News

Analyst says flash-based iPod by Christmas

“Thomas Weisel market analyst Jason Pflaum said: ‘I recently spent two weeks in Asia meeting with a number of folks who are in a position to know details of SigmaTel’s supply chain. Based on our industry contacts, we are confident that, one, Apple is planning to launch a flash-based player, and two, SigmaTel is the provider of controller chip for that device.’”

« iPod2Car Adaptor released

iParties downunder »

Comments

Apple WANTS to sell a cheaper iPod. Flash has advantages. So they WILL sell a flash iPod… it’s a question of when it’s cost-effective to have it be large enough to meet Apple’s standard of usability.

My guess: whenever it happens, it will be 2 GB at least.

Posted by Nagromme on October 21, 2004 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

“whenever it happens, it will be 2 GB at least.”

Unles,s of course, Apple was to sell a device that took CF or SD cards. I see the price on these is now down to around $80 for 1GB, $50 for 512 MB.

That’s not bad. Selling lots of cards (perhaps with pre-installed AAC tunes) could be a good revenue stream for Apple or partners.

Posted by disposable on October 21, 2004 at 6:16 PM (CDT)

“DMC has a 100GB Xclef out now, which isn’t very nice looking, but it’s got a 100 gigs in a (large) handheld player.”

If you are looking for something cheap like this then get an Archos V2 Recorder. They sell for around $120 for 20GB. They are big as hell but they take regular notebook hard drives.

I got mine for $80 after rebate on Amazona. Popped in open, dropped in an 80GB drive, sold my 20GB. Net cost around $175. Not bad for 80GB.

It has analog/digital input/output and recording so it makes a great little semi-portable stereo unit and good for hooking into sound systems to get a line-in recording. I use it at clubs and gigs a lot.

Don’t forget Rockbox.

Posted by digital on October 21, 2004 at 6:20 PM (CDT)

Hmmm… Apple music “event” next Tuesday. Reports that Apple is going to have a flashed-based player for the holidays. Coincidence? ;-)

Posted by audio geek on October 21, 2004 at 6:30 PM (CDT)

Apple already told us about their flash base player. It’s no secret. The only thing this article left out is the brandname on the unit: Motorola. Remember? Itunes on mobiles phones, flash based storage. this isn’t news.

Posted by we heard about this months ago on October 21, 2004 at 7:17 PM (CDT)

I think it’s a great idea.  A flash player means lighter, smaller, and more battery life.  Bringing it out in time for Christmas allows it to catch the buying rush.  Since it has the word “iPod” on it, it’ll sell LIKE HOT CAKES.

Posted by Xenoxide on October 22, 2004 at 3:58 AM (CDT)

I don’t think the capacity is as important as the size (form factor).  In order to make a flash player have a run, there are a few things that are necessary:

- It has to be small (I’m talking like take the current mini and cut right between the click wheel and the LCD screen so it’s almost square).

- It has to have an FM radio.  This is important for people who go to the gym and need to tune into the TV broadcasts.

- It should be expandible to some extent - SD or CF.

- It has to be inexensive (not cheap!).  I think if they have all of these things and keep the EXCELLENT UI and ease of use, they could $150-$175 and make a killing on them….

Posted by SpedInFargo on October 22, 2004 at 7:25 AM (CDT)

I don’t think size will matter either…

The iPod has created such a craze with their larger capicity iPod and smaller Mini that i’m sure Apple is confident that they’ll make a profit in the flash community as well.

If this happens, Apple will surely dominate the protable music industry on all formats….now all they need to do is support WMA and the world is theirs.

Posted by Go for it Apple on October 22, 2004 at 9:33 AM (CDT)

As much as I love the IPod and Mini, they are not as convenient, too heavy, and way too fragile for outdoor sports in my opinion.

I have to download music from ITMS in MP3 so that I can drag songs to a MuvoNX (Chewing Gum Pack Size with direct USB connection) for XCountry and distance runs… Very light weight and sturdy.

Imagine something similar with a better user interface in all white marketed as either an independent player for those with small storage needs or, as in my case, an add on for an IPod user.

Syncs could be accomplished by having a predetermined Playlist be the only data which is sync’d when the “new” Pod is connected to the PC or Apple.

I’d buy that or $150-$175 as soon as I could.

Posted by Blue Heaven on October 22, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

I don’t think this report has anything to do with Motorola, as they would source their own flash memory hardware and develop their own OS/software for their phones - Apple would just write a version of iTunes for that OS thus enabling AAC transfer and the use of the FairPlay DRM for Motorola (most mobile phone companies are signed up to MP4/AAC/3GP).

I reckon Apple need to release a cheaper flash based player that will allow a lot more people to get a piece of this lovely ‘pie’. This should make Apple the de facto standard for all portable music (not just the medium to high-end consumer market), and boost their position in the legal download market.

But, I know Apple are experts at user interfaces and the iPod has the best, will the quality of the user experience decline as they move to a smaller device??? E.G. no scroll wheel? Will they have to resort to a crude set of buttons (little ones) ? LCD display info? etc…

Let’s hope they can pull it off and get more ‘chavs’ to buy their ‘gear’ - FOOL.

Posted by BA Baracus on October 23, 2004 at 12:48 AM (CDT)

wonder what the capacity will be…
Around $100 would be nice

Posted by think different on October 24, 2004 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

The flash card reader is for the new 60 gig ipod comming out by christmas.  You take your flash card out of your digital camera and transfer them directly to the ipod.  Apple is making too much money on each ipod their not going to compete against themselves with a lower profit margin flash player.  Apple makes about $150 profit on each ipod.  By putting out a $100 version they would make roughly $10-15 profit.  There would be no reason to do this and they won’t.

Posted by TJP on October 24, 2004 at 9:13 PM (CDT)

well, i have a 5gb 1st generation :-P lol…its big and heavy lol…if the flash player had more than 4 gbs for less than 150, id pick one up…im sure that if this thing comes out soon, itll be before christmas…they just released the ipod photo and u2 special edition, so it wont be for a few weeks…they upgrade these things as if they were a website.  lol…friggin every two weeks theres a new ipod to be bought.  my friend loves u2, and he got a 20gb clickwheel the day before the u2 came out…sucks for him ;-)
-alex

Posted by alex on October 27, 2004 at 5:48 AM (CDT)

Hi everyone, I am not an iPod owner but do know alot about the insides of mp3 players. First of all, the analyst has staked his reputation and the reputation of Thomas Weisel on the fact that Apple will come out with a StigmaTel based flash iPod very soon. Now lets look at something else. I own a rio carbon and my friend has a Dell DJ. They both, along with the Creative Zen have a StigmaTel chip inside, probably the same exact SoC ( system on chip) that will be in your Apple soon. You should all be happy, it’s less expensive and a better performance chip. ( read the data)
Why Apple didn’t go with StigmaTel long ago is beyond me.
So, now you have the same chip in my great rio player. Im not totally glad that we will all use the same chips though because my rio used to have better sound than your iPod but for all intents and purposes the iPod will be the same as the rios , dell djs, creatvie zens which all now use StigmaTel.
Kind of funny isnt it? Why you pay so much more for a “wheel” is beyond me, youre just a rio carbon with a different shell!

Posted by richan on December 30, 2004 at 4:47 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2