Analyst says iPod leads market “because it is superior to competitors” | iLounge News

Analyst says iPod leads market “because it is superior to competitors”

“Rob Enderle, consumer electronics analyst at The Enderle Group, says Apple has dominated the MP3 player market because its product is superior to competitors’, and Apple ‘outspent everyone else on marketing 10 to one.’

Companies such as Dell, Creative Technology, Rio and Virgin have announced new MP3 products aimed at taking business from Apple with lower prices and more storage. Enderle says Apple’s real test ‘is going to be in the next two months. None of the new products are as good as the iPod, but collectively, they could start to eat at Apple’s market share,’ he says.”

« MP3 losing to AAC and WMA

Belkin announces TunePower battery pack and TuneBase auto charger/mount »

Comments

Hmmmm…. Isn’t being superior generally why things lead their markets.  I’m 13 years old and can figure that one out!  I should be a analyst when I grow up….. For example: I bet that water will make you wet.  Oh yeah, that was genius Mr. Enderle, but maybe you should get a new job.

Oh well,
TC

Posted by supercarrot900 on October 15, 2004 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Anybody when the 5th generation is coming out, becuase the 4th one sucks, the click wheel is grey, it is made out of cheap plstic, the touch buttons were the best thing and apple went one step back, they dont give remote or dock or case so the price isnt much cheaper. all in all the 4g is bull s***

Posted by ipod fanatic on October 15, 2004 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

i just went to the creative website and saw there newest peice of garbage caller creative micron and the say that the up and down “intuitive” touch pad is better than going in circles( ipod wheel). i think creative is the one which is garbage, becuase they are the people releasing new player every other month

Posted by apple is coola on October 15, 2004 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

The 10:1 advertising has a lot more to do with it than any superiority. Granted, I think ALL of the competition has missed out on what makes the iPod so accessible: the ease of use afforded by iTunes. Everyone keeps rushing to slap some other hardware feature on there but forgets that if it seems too technical to use, people by and large won’t go for it.

Posted by Code Monkey on October 15, 2004 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Well ipod fanatic, I beg to differ. The fourth generation was a much needed step foward. The grey looks better in my opinion and the clickwheel is much more intuitive. Not to mention the price difference that is a real thing, not just them getting rid of cradle and case and remote. You also have 12 hours of battery life on the 4th generation. The 5th generation will not replace the 4th and from the reports out of Japan from companies making parts for it, will look identical in design to the 4th generation exept that it will be larger than the current 40 gig and heavier. It will almost definately be apple’s third teir for iPods, marketing not so much to younger people, as to people in buisnesses who need to give a slide show presentation via an iPod. I have heard from a number of people and on a number of websites that they feel the 3rd was terrible, and that when they bought it they continued using their 2nd generation, then switched to the 4th when it came out.

Posted by jellyMEETSjam in NA on October 15, 2004 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Is this the same analyst that said “iPods are Popular Among Teens”? Obviously a superior product will lead the market or vise-versa!!!

Posted by jbaker12 on October 15, 2004 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

Missing in the analysis is a mention of the gigantic market of 3rd party accessories that let you customize your player. Once you buy one of the other players, what kind of case are you going to put it in? Does any other player have matching spearkers?

Posted by BLow on October 15, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Someone explain to me what makes the iPod superior.

Appearance? Software? Interface? Cult Following? Style? That seems to be about it, from where I stand.

It sure as hell isn’t features, because almost every new player beats the sh*t out of the iPod with regards to that.

Posted by Awesome-O on October 15, 2004 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

what made you buy your ipod? I think its the advertising. ipod is the only mp3 player appearing on TV commercials, numerous websites and newspapers. Before I bought my ipod, ipod was the only harddrive mp3 player I know…......

Posted by lol on October 15, 2004 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

Number one reason why iPod is so popular:
everyone has it!  If you see everyone else walking around with the white earbuds, why would you buy anything else other than the iPod?  If the only thing you hear is the iPod, would you buy an iRiver?  Other mp3 players actually have more features than the iPod for lower prices, but consumers want to buy the “what’s cool” gadget out there.

Posted by ililililil on October 15, 2004 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

The latter point about marketing is much more important these days then superiority. Go back to analysing mate :D

Posted by Adam on October 15, 2004 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

The fact that companies like creative and sony have to compare themselves to the ipod is quite pathetic. Apple set the standard for mp3 players, and everyone else is just trying to improve upon something almost perfect. I can’t even believe how some can compare to sony and creative when they just take what apple has done, trash it, then say their product is better. The ipod will always stand strong, and low and behold the fact will always stay the same.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on October 15, 2004 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

@ Awesome-O: read my statement, EVERYONE misses the point, advertising aside. Apple made the software the forefront of their product. I could send my mom an iPod and she could use it. She would still be scratching her head with any of the competition because if they even have software, it generally works on drag and drop and, in spite of what some around here think, drag and drop of computer files is not all that intuitive or easy for many.

When the competition figures that out maybe they’ll do a little better.

Posted by Code Monkey on October 15, 2004 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

I toltaly agree with ililililil and Awesome-O.
Why are people always calling the iPod perfect? I love my iPod but its noting near. I had a Rio karma with WAY better features but was’nt build as good as the iPod. Bye, bye once I had harddrive failure, hello iPod. When ever I use my iPod I always think if the things I lost, and always wonder “How wolud things be if I had fm radio and inline recording if I would have bought the h120” Aks some people what a Rio Karma is or a Creative Nomad, Iriver h120, and a question mark will appear hovering over their heads. Aks them what an iPod is….“Oh, that white thing that plays music. How do you get cd’s in their”

Posted by Robb on October 15, 2004 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

For people who don’t like or think they don’t like the 4g.  Have You Seen it In person.  I have to say I thought it looked bad untill my 3g bit the dust and I upgraded and I can say the 4g actually looks way better than the 3g in person and as far as the grey wheel it looks great and its not real dark like it looks in certain pictures.  The wheel in pictures looks like raided obove the ipods clear plastic finish but its actually flush with the finnish its just the defraction of light just like the 3gs finish can look un aligned with the buttons but its just the light going throught the 1 mm finish

Posted by Jonathan on October 15, 2004 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

awesome-o, dude, if interface and software aren’t features, I don’t know what are.

jbaker12, I don’t know whether that was a diss to me or the analyst, but if it was the first, I don’t know more than 2 people in my whole town that own an iPod.  My town is small, but not too small.  If it was the latter, amen!

Later,
TC

Posted by supercarrot900 on October 15, 2004 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

What most people miss or dont understand about the iPod is that it is EASY TO USE.
Even for the average person on the street who doesnt care or know anything about computers or technology they can pick up an iPod and just about press “play” and listen to music. A lot of people in the technology industry forget that your average customer doesnt know anything or care about computers they just want to be able to listen to their music collection. That is where the iPod/iTunes combination has won them over. You just put your CD in the CD drive with iTunes app open, wait for for the CD drive to read the CD, click import tracks. Once that is done you can automatically update your iPod, lift it off its dock and press play. It doesnt get much easier than that. Anything harder would baffle MOST non tech literate mums and dads, which is the problem that most other companies have. As we all know the iPod is also well designed and looks great.

Posted by winmacguy on October 15, 2004 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

I haven’t used an iPod yet but I’m considering buying one soon. The thing other players can’t beat is the software (both iPod software and iTunes) and the clickwheel. I imagine scrolling through hundreds of songs would be unbelievably slow with only up and down buttons.

It’s worth noting that good interfaces are not just for “non-technical” people. If it’s truly a good interface it will be useful for the experience computer user as well. Just because I know how to edit configuration files and use multiple programs and command line utilities to rip CDs, encode with various CODECs and edit tags doesn’t mean I should have to when it could be done quicker and easier.

Posted by Shinglor on October 15, 2004 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

The reason the iPod is such a success is because of it’s ease of use. Hands down. In fact that’s what all Apple products do best. For all you PC users out there, check out the new iMac and you will see that Apple banks on that principle. From OSX to the iMac to the iPod. All quality products designed for the ultimate in digital lifestyle. If people weren’t so hesitant to make the switch to mac, they would realize that it to is a superior product as well.

The IT guy at my work recently bought a powerbook and now he’s a mac person for life. You have to use a product to really appreciate its value. I wish Apple offered a 30-day trial for their PCs so people would at least try it.

Posted by starflyer in Madison, WI on October 15, 2004 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

Right. Apple banks on their ease of use, because everything they make, baby-feeds everything to you.

I love my iPod. I personally consider it the best OVERALL Mp3 player. It’s just a pleasure to use.

BUT, I know how to use computers, and I only manually update my iPod, and I like to drag and drop. I’m not an computer illiterate old lady.

I see how the iPod appeals to the masses. It’s simple, and it PLAYS MUSIC. AND THAT IS ALL.

The interface is amazing, and it’s the best thing Apple has going for it. I like iTunes a lot too, but there are a lot of people who don’t like it at all.

All I’m saying is, is that when you look at, hold, and use the iPod as compared to other players, it really shines. But when you start looking into the technical features, and get specific and nerdy, MANY other players outshine the iPod.

And the 4G will NEVER look as refined and classy as the 3G. And yes I’ve seen and used them in person. Is the 4G more intuitive and easier to use? Yes, arguably so. But looks? Never.

Posted by Awesome-O on October 15, 2004 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >