Analyst sees Apple offering subscriptions for games, videos | iLounge News

Analyst sees Apple offering subscriptions for games, videos

Apple’s new subscription accounting policy for the iPhone and Apple TV could be a sign of things to come for the company, according to one analyst. Shaw Wu of American Technology Research told clients today that he envisions Apple offering subscription services for music, TV, movies, and video games. “We believe Apple is in the midst of building a more serious effort in the subscription business where it could enter the ‘rental’ space with video games and music, TV, and movie content,” Wu said. “We would not be surprised to see Apple compete with the likes of Netflix and Blockbuster in a bigger way.” These services would make Apple the “only vertically integrated play and one stop shop for hardware, software, and services for the digital lifestyle,” according to Wu.

« Schools banning iPods to stop cheating

iTunes, American Idol offer Idol Gives Back performances »

Comments

I hate to bash Shaw Wu, but has he ever been correct on anything? Sure it is his job (lucky to be paid to guess about things) but when was the last time he was on the money about anything?

Posted by Don Trammell on April 26, 2007 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Even with his history of being wrong (personally I wouldn’t know. I don’t keep tabs on these analyst guys) do you not see Apple doing this as a very big possibility?

I do…

Posted by 3rd-Eye on April 26, 2007 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

I absolutely will not “rent” music.
Subscription services for music are worse than any form of DRM.

Posted by Cogitator X on April 26, 2007 at 4:36 PM (PDT)

if we could do the same thing with movie’s they might have something. While I like to buy my music I almost all ways rent my movies.

Shameless

Posted by Shameless1 on April 26, 2007 at 11:31 PM (PDT)

The ignorance displayed here is disappointing.  Consistent, but disappointing.

While I’m not in Apple, I assumed that Apple meant that they were going to a ‘subscription accounting model’ which has nothing to do with a subscription movie service.  I think iTunes would have been mentioned if that were the case.  It wasn’t.

They’re just realizing the revenue over the estimated life of the devices (AppleTV & iPhone), instead of realizing it at the time of sale.  This way, they can add features to the device without having to charge extra for it—like they had to do with the n update.

I knew this would happen when the ‘analyst’ caught wind of Apple mentioning ‘subscription’.

Surely I’m not the only one that got it?  Right?  Come on!

The real spin here should be: what gems are hidden in AppleTV just waiting to be unlocked?

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on April 27, 2007 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

As a guy who is ‘lucky to be paid to guess about things’ myself, I feel obliged to stick up for Shaw Wu here and point out that it was iLounge and not Shaw who associated the term ‘subscription account policy’ with subscription services.

Posted by yashin on April 27, 2007 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

Sorry - ‘subscription accounting policy’

Posted by yashin on April 27, 2007 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

I am just utterly sick of Wu stating the obvious and it being reported as news. Nobody would be surprised. Jobs just said “we don’t see it (yet)”, so like the flash based iPod I’d say give it a couple of months. But stop reporting WU on this forum. It. Is. Not. News.

Posted by Bad Beaver on April 27, 2007 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

If it’s happen then it will be the best effort that Apple made to attract consumers in years after ipod. Because renting music, movies, tv shows, games are much easier and effordable than buy only. It’s willbe awesome for budget user who will pay little monthely fee and can download anything thay want on ipod and stream to Apple TV. I think it’s best if Apple offer renting music service now. BTW itune music subscription have nothing to do with buy only option. Even after itune offer subscription service cosumer still be free to buy only without subscribing for monthely fee. It’s(music subscription service) willbe for those only who want to subscribe for that. So please don’t hate subscription service idea and let Apple launch this awesome service(many can’t pay $2000 a year for music only but they can pay $200 to listen thounds and thounds songs a year). Also if they like to buy and they are free to buy. So to me it’s very good idea to fill ipod with thousands song without paying thounds dollars. BTW shaw never been right and let’s just hope(it may happen).

Posted by shehzad on April 27, 2007 at 9:15 AM (PDT)