Analyst: Sony, Napster offerings won’t rock Apple
Steven Milunovich of Merrill Lynch said today that Apple has little to worry about in terms of competition from new flash memory-based players and subscription music services from its rivals.
In a research note provided to iLounge, Milunovich said that Sony’s three new flash MP3 players will be the most likely to challenge the iPod shuffle in the coming months. “We believe these are likely to be solid sellers, but they don’t support iTunes and do not have the cache of an iPod,” he said.
Milunovich noted that the Sony players do have a small screen, but that they use AAA batteries as compared to the iPod shuffle’s rechargeable internal battery. “We view Sony as the most serious competitor, but since Apple will be supply-constrained on shuffles it will be difficult to assess the impact in the near term,” he said.
The analyst also said that Napster’s $14.99 a month subscription service could be easily matched if Apple wanted to. “We don’t see a big impact on Apple because (1) we are not big believers in the subscription model where consumers pay indefinitely to listen to their favorite songs, and (2) if we’re wrong, Apple can establish a subscription service with few barriers to entry,” Milunovich said. “Record label executives we spoke with believe the market could be bimodal with the majority people choosing to purchase and a niche for subscription services.”
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 4, tvOS 9.1 beta 3
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases first iOS 9.2 beta to developers
- iOS 9.1 adds multi-device Wi-Fi calling for Sprint customers
- Apple releases iOS 9.1, watchOS 2.0.1
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Apple acknowledges iPad Pro charging problem, doesn’t have fix yet
- App Store rules may limit number of iPad Pro-specific apps
- iFixit tears down the Apple Pencil
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Logitech Create iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- Apple iPad Pro
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?