Analyst: Two iPhones, widescreen iPod coming next year | iLounge News

Analyst: Two iPhones, widescreen iPod coming next year

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, December 6, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Prudential Equity Group analyst Jesse Tortora claims that “the production ramp has already begun” in small quantities for an Apple iPhone to be available for sale in the first or second quarter of next year. Tortora expects a more advanced smartphone to follow 1-2 quarters later, “likely” in the third quarter. The analyst also believes Apple is planning production of a widescreen iPod for introduction late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter. Meanwhile, Tortora says there is “new evidence that Apple has hired video game designers,” which he says suggests that “Apple may have interest in entering the video game market longer-term.”

« Major labels begin offering tracks as unrestricted MP3s

Microsoft: 1 million Zunes to be sold by June »

Comments

glad to hear the next-gens aren’t coming out for a bit. i was somewhat worried about buying a 5G this season… you never know when the new model will come out. my mother bought her 1G nano a day before the 2G came out.

gaming and apple sounds like a good idea. from what i know of macs, gaming is the only thing that windows is in that apple hasn’t gone too far with.

Posted by Papa Hobo on December 6, 2006 at 4:03 PM (PDT)

I don’t want my 5.5G being replaced! As a result, I’m hesitant to buy. Interestingly enough, you’d think Apple would NOT want to build up speculation by Christmas because it will dissuade people like me from getting a video iPod.

Posted by 5.5Gen? on December 6, 2006 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

I suspect these games will be accessed/playable via the iTV.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 6, 2006 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

The thing I hate most about iPods is that when I finally get enough allowance money to buy one, 6 months later, a brand new model comes out with better features. I WAS going to buy a 5.5G Video for Xmas, but now i’m not so sure. I’d rather have an iPhone.

Posted by The Soup Nazi on December 6, 2006 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

Anyone else SICK of “analysts” telling us when they think things are gonna come out? I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK! Every day it’s like “analyst so-and-so thinks first quarter, and analyst this-and-that thinks the begining of second quarter”

Gimmie a rumor from an inside source, and I’ll rely on that much better….

Posted by Freddie Carthy on December 6, 2006 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

That and the fact that analysts have been predicting a ‘true video’ iPod and iPod phone for well over a year now, and niether has shown up yet. I’m making my own prediction that they won’t in January either.

Posted by multimoog on December 6, 2006 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

Check this out:

Posted by Laer on December 6, 2006 at 11:40 PM (PDT)

I still don’t like the widescreen idea:

Old joke, I know. I couldn’t resist.

Re video game designers: sure, but only to expand the number of iPod games (not that any of them appeal to me). I guess a game devkit for the iPod is due soon, though.

Posted by Pikemann_Urge on December 7, 2006 at 12:42 AM (PDT)

I just got a refurb 60Gb and it turns out to have a brighter, 5.5-like screen. I wouldn’t pay 5.5 regular price for an iPod now, when new model is about to emerge.

Posted by rafalski on December 7, 2006 at 3:08 AM (PDT)

Freddie Carthy, you are most welcome wink

Posted by Bad Beaver on December 7, 2006 at 4:21 AM (PDT)

I think you’ll find its not Apple building up the speculation, it’s everybody else.

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on December 7, 2006 at 5:18 AM (PDT)

Oh wait… aren’t they called fortune tellers?

Posted by Nick G on December 7, 2006 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

“I wish that I could get paid to say something is going to happen in 6 months, then when it doesn’t happen, I can just say, oh, we meant 18 months…”

These guys are like weathermen.  As I always say, it’s the only job that you can be wrong everyday and not lose your job!

Posted by MrCourt123 on December 7, 2006 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

I hope Apple doesn’t screw up the iPod by making it do to much.  That’s all I ahve to say.

Posted by Dness on December 7, 2006 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

agreed Dness.  i don’t really want it for anything other than music

Posted by bozz on December 7, 2006 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

I agree.  Give me a 100gb ipod with gapless playback and I’m happy.

Posted by melvin on December 7, 2006 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

good point. i always thought video was pushing it. ipods are for music. perhaps an entirely new gadget is in order. same idea with something special to set it apart fromt the 5G. i wouldn’t object to that.

Posted by Papa Hobo on December 7, 2006 at 8:13 PM (PDT)

I’d personally like to see monocrome come back with gapless playback and a better SCROLL WHEEL. Give me a 100 - 120GB Monocrome as thin as the 60GB video iPod and I’ll be MORE than happy.

Posted by fxspec06 on December 7, 2006 at 9:47 PM (PDT)

Ah, yes!  Monochrome!  That’s a real iPod.

Posted by Dness on December 8, 2006 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

The monochrome 4G can’t compare to the 5G. Even though the 5G is used mostly for music, it’s nice to be able to play videos and pictures too. A wide screen version is definitely welcome.

Posted by podster1 on December 10, 2006 at 2:51 PM (PDT)