Analysts expect high iPod sales in Q1
Several analysts are expecting staggering iPod sales in Apple’s first fiscal quarter, reports MarketWatch. This follows Apple’s earlier announcement that it sold 10.2 million iPods in the quarter ending September 29, a number that fell slightly short of the consensus estimate of 11 million units. “Typically, the September quarter is a back-to-school quarter driven by Macs, while the December quarter is a consumer quarter driven by iPods,” said Shaw Wu of American Technology Research. Wu estimates that Apple will sell 24 million iPods in the holiday quarter, a forecast that is close to the 25 million average estimate from analysts surveyed by Thompson Financial.
Another analyst, Ingrid Ebeling of JMP Securities, believes that the iPod touch is having a strong impact on iPod sales, and that Apple’s first quarter could account for as much as 45% of all iPod sales in 2007, with sales of 29 million iPods. “Going into the holiday season, the company commented that iPod sales rose dramatically following the release of the new iPods, and they continue to gain share in the MP3 market,” said Ebeling. Apple has said it expects to report first-quarter earnings of $1.42 a share on $9.2 billion in revenue, a forecast that means Apple will need to sell approximately 24 million iPods, says Keith Bachman of BMO Securities. Bachman said that his 24 million forecast “is a very achievable estimate.”
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Apple releases iOS beta 5
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- iOS 8 beta 3 released to developers
- Apple releases iOS 7.1.2
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today