Analysts expect video iPod at special event next week
Like many others, two Wall Street analysts are expecting Apple to introduce the much-rumored video iPod at next week’s “One more thing” special event in San Jose, California.
“We would expect a video iPod to have a material ‘wow’ factor, but we believe that it would need to be priced reasonably (less than $400) and be accompanied by a significant library of iTunes accessible video content to not be anything more than a niche product in the near term,” Piper Jaffray senior analyst Gene Munster said in a research report obtained by iLounge. “That said, a first step into portable video would open the door for future product innovations as the company continues to branch out into more of central player in digital and mobile convergence.”
Munster said a smaller form factor high capacity (greater than 10GB) iPod could also be shown at the event, but he does not expect a new Mac computer (other than possible incremental changes to speed and memory), nor does he believe the company will introduce an Apple-branded mobile phone.
American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu also believes a video iPod will be unveiled next week, and is also looking for speed-bumped Macs. “After spending the past two years studying this market and negotiating with content partners, it appears Apple is ready to go to market with a 1st generation video-capable iPod,” Wu said. “Competitors Samsung, Creative Technology, iRiver, and Archos have shipped portable video devices for some time albeit without much success. We think a key area to watch is the price points Apple will set for these new devices. If Apple can charge under $400 and preferably $299, we believe it will sell well. At higher price points, we believe it may be difficult to drive high volume.”
Wu said he expects that the first set of video content available from the iTunes store will be music videos and video podcasts. “At this point, we do not anticipate full-length feature movies but would not be surprised to see some test movies in the future as the studios are still figuring out their future business model vs. today’s movie theater and then DVD approach,” he said. “We are also picking up indications that Apple could announce an optional external ‘video out’ module that attaches to an iPod video meaning one can output the video to a TV or external screen.”
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple releases second iOS 9 public beta
- Home Sharing for Music returns in iOS 9 beta 4
- FastMail adds full support for push e-mail in iOS Mail
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9 beta to developers
- New fingerprint scanner tech could lead to Touch ID built into iPhone display
- Apple denies reported MVNO cellular service plans
- Australian cellular carrier Telstra offering Apple Music free for 12 months
- Report: Apple in talks to launch virtual network service
- Dr. Dre’s new album coming to iTunes, Apple Music on Friday
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Report: Apple plans to use Siri to transcribe voicemails
- Leaked photos suggest thicker, Force Touch-equipped iPhones
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?