Another iPod lawsuit on the horizon | iLounge News

Another iPod lawsuit on the horizon

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, January 8, 2004
News Categories: iPod

It seems another lawsuit is on the horizon regarding iPod batteries - this time out of Florida.

“In the last year, many iPod owners got bad news after their iPodsí lithium-ion batteries died. The owners were told there was no replacement battery available and so therefore they should go buy new iPods! With the smallest-capacity iPods starting at $250 on eBay, that seemed like a very expensive solution. In response to numerous complaints, Apple recently instituted $59 extended warranties and $99-battery-replacement programs for iPod. If you are unhappy with your iPodís battery performance and you want a confidential, no-cost consultation about your rights, please e-mail us by filling out the form below.”

¬ę HP and Apple Partner to Deliver Digital Music Player and iTunes to HP Customers

Report Your iPodisms ¬Ľ

Comments

Did you read about the new Sony MD-players? From $200,- one not very expensive disc holds one 1Gb, enormous log playtime from userreplacable standardbatteries. You really got to be a fanatic masochist to go for an Ipod (mini) now.

Posted by dura on January 8, 2004 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Sony? Golly, does it take Memory Sticks, too? How about Mini MV tapes. Or could I hook it up to my Betamax player? Golly, the proprietary possibilities are endless!

No thanks.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 8, 2004 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

Until the ipod has real recording capabilities (stereo 44.1Khz 16 bit) the new sony MD has a value to tapers not interested in DAT.  I would never suggest that it’s a better music player than the ipod though.

Posted by cougardew on January 8, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Dammit! when will people realise that removable storage for a portable player is OLD TECHNOLOGY.
i dont understand why people can still be bothered changing disks.
ahh whatever. my iPod comes in 3 days. yay!

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on January 8, 2004 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

The new Sony media is $7 per 1GB recordable disc. That’s pretty compelling. You can arrange your music by genre-per-disc or artist-per-disc, and you have multiple redundancy.

It’s convenient, inexpensive, and infinitely expandable. When I outgrow my 10GB iPod I need to buy another one, but if it was one of these new SOnys then I could just spend a few bux to buy another few GBs. They certainly beat the 4GB minipods for usability and cost.

Also cougardue is right the MDs record brilliantly, and even in PCM format so no loss of fidelity.

Finally, Sony are marvellous at battery life - I regularly get 20 hours on double AA in my MD, and I can replace my batteries for $5, not $50.

The miniPods need to drop $100 to be competitive.

Posted by MiniDisc on January 8, 2004 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Atomic Bomb,

I also dislike Sony.  Their proprietary hardware and software are completely a mess to deal with.  So do you also dislike Apple for their proprietary Macs, iPods, AAC format, etc.?  Can’t connect that to too many off the self components either.

Posted by Biofreak on January 8, 2004 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

MiniDisc,

Compelling?  Are you nuts? $7/GB x 40 minidisks = $280 + $200 for the player = $480 and 40 freaking disks.  An 40GB iPod is $499.  For $19, I’ll save myself some space.

I conceed your point on the battery life.  Apple needs to listen to the consumers.  Maybe a few more lawsuits will get them to move quicker and reengineer this f..king problem.

Posted by Biofreak on January 8, 2004 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

u guys keep forgetting - we paid freaking 450 bucks for a hard drive that plays music!!!  it better come with batteries that last a goddamn while - and i still have my sony md - its pretty good - if anything the sound quality is better -

im telling u - one more year - and there wont be this ipod craze - that will be a good day - that means prices have dropped enormously and all manufacturers have emulated a very similar OS -  and to those apple lovers - stop being gay!  its a freakin harddrive!!!

Posted by gabe on January 8, 2004 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

Will somebody stop that Dura person from advertising Sony MD players here? This is the second time he/she has posted a similiar comment - I repeat, if they’re so great why are you on IPODlounge?!

& the ipodmini has the same battery life as the standard ipod, so it sounds as though you don’t even own a frickin ipod - GO AWAY SONY EMPLOYEE

Posted by bobsyerunkle on January 8, 2004 at 11:20 PM (PDT)

bob - why so hostile?  dont be such a nazi - everyone is entitled to their own views -  so if u like something other than apple ur an enemy?  dude stop jerking off to Steve jobs - and get with it - he’s out for ur $ nothign else -  its a harddrive - believe it or not - and yes there are other players out there

Posted by gabe on January 8, 2004 at 11:25 PM (PDT)

don’t be hostile? Are you trying to be ironic? are you aware of the connotations of the word ‘nazi’? Don’t ever use a f****** word like that about me. & I certainly don’t ‘jerk off’ to steve jobs, my grandad has a sony MD and for transferring vinyl it is arguably his best option so don’t tell try telling me news about Apple’s business plan I don’t already know.

The whole point of my post was to highlight this persons repeated posts advertising Sony MD players - can you explain the relvence of such a tactic on Ipodlounge? I agree 100% everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it seems a very strange place to express theirs…

Posted by bobsyerunkle on January 8, 2004 at 11:36 PM (PDT)

pretty harsh to call someone a nazi for liking one music player over the other.

Posted by dmeineck on January 9, 2004 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

bobsyeruncle, why don;t you try to refute the substance of what they are saying rather than throwing nasty ignorant labels like “Nazi” around?

I think if kids can buy a Minidics for $200 with extra 1GB disks for $7, then that present a big challenge for the $250 4GB mini iPod.

Yes, as another poster pointed out it makes no sense when compared with a 40GB iPod model, but that is much more expensive and who buys a $200 player and $200 of disks first anyway?

They will start by buying 1 or 2 $7 discs, then maybe buy another disk every other month. That is where the cleverness of this Sony strategy lies… Imagine what will happen if and when they bring the new MD hardware price down to $100 - Sony are very good at driving down their prices.

Posted by Sayonara on January 9, 2004 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Sony still sounds better, my old-### MD has bass that makes my iPod sound like a little #####.

That’s been my experience with most sony stuffd, really - the bass rules, whatever else you might want to say. (even on the $15 casette [heh] players)

They need a make a lil $low unit to use btw the ipod and headphones, JUST for that deep dark bass…

Posted by BZZZP on January 9, 2004 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

This is hilarious. A team of Sony marketing reps jumping on an iPod fan site in a lame effort to drum up business for their dying product. Keep it coming!

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 9, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

BTW, I have an old MD player and a bunch of disks sitting in a drawer somewhere collecting dust since I picked up my 2nd Gen iPod a year and a half ago. Shoot me an email if you want them and I’ll mail you the whole lot of it for free. At least you’ll get some use out of that crap.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 9, 2004 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

um, Sayonara - would you be so kind as to re-read the posts - I didn’t call anyone a nazi!

Maybe I should clarify my point - I have absolutely no axe to grind with any MD players. They are very good for certain people and what’s right for you is fine and dandy. However, my original post was, I guess, a little misconstrued. All I was trying to say was why come on ipodlounge extholing the merits of an MD player? It just makes no sense to me to use this site as a place to do this, unless you have an alterior motive.

I hope future posts will comment on the impact of the lawsuit and not me or Sony!

PS. Thanks for the support dmeineck

Posted by bobsyerunkle on January 9, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

Don’t Sony make the batteries in the iPods? Hmmmm. Yes.

Posted by Bonzai on January 11, 2004 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

“Shoot me an email if you want them and I’ll mail you the whole lot of it for free. At least you’ll get some use out of that crap.” - LOL @ Atomic - nice one!

Posted by dmeineck on January 11, 2004 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

does any body have charging problems Ileave my Ipod on the charger for 10 hours and it says charged then when i turn it on the battery says ony about half charged and I plug it back in and it starts charging again amI doing something wrong

Posted by flashkat on July 14, 2004 at 12:55 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >