AP: New Music Download Service Launches | iLounge News

AP: New Music Download Service Launches

“A new Internet music download site for PCs debuting Tuesday boasts the cheapest per-song rates yet but many of the same restrictions on copying that have stymied wider use of other music services.

Although online retailer BuyMusic.com will offer a catalog of more than 300,000 songs from the five major record labels, users of the service will not necessarily have the freedom afforded customers of Apple Inc.‘s iTunes service to transfer the music purchased to multiple computers and portable devices, or to burn it to compact discs. [...]

BuyMusic is charging 70 cents for individual song downloads—9 cents lower than MusicNow, which previously had the lowest per song price. It’s also undercutting competitors’ price for a full album download at $7.95. The iTunes’ service charges $9.99 for most full albums.”

« USATODAY: Swap songs? You may be on record industry’s hit list

2G iSkin $14.99 and 1G iSkin $10 »

Comments

Anyone know when this is actually going to launch? All I see is a rocket.

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on July 21, 2003 at 11:18 PM (CDT)

Rocket for me too.

Posted by cozzie on July 22, 2003 at 1:13 AM (CDT)

I’m predicting this will flop. As soon as Apple launches the iTMS for Windows, BuyMusic.com will be far behind. The problem, I think, is integration. The iTMS is integrated with iTunes, making it quick and easy to use. It also makes it easier to access - whenever a user is listening to some music in iTunes, the store is only a click away. BuyMusic is just another internet site based approach - to me this makes it seem less convenient, easy to use, and less easy to find.

Posted by cozzie on July 22, 2003 at 7:07 AM (CDT)

Ewww…Granted, I’m sure their servers are being mobbed right now, but this really is NO comparison to the iTunes Music Store.  Clunky as heck, horrible selection (as far as I can see).  And, worst of all, WM9!

Posted by kdavis on July 22, 2003 at 7:27 AM (CDT)

Their ads are even tacky ripoffs of Apple’s…this venture seems sort of shameless and slapped-together.

Posted by kdavis on July 22, 2003 at 7:33 AM (CDT)

they are actually 99c not 79c

Posted by ti on July 22, 2003 at 7:42 AM (CDT)

Depends on the selection, I have downloaded several tracks for 89c.

For us Windows users this seems to be the only way.  I would never use a service like this to buy whole CD anyway.  But for snagging the two Enya tracks I don’t have it works.

WM9 is a pain though and so is all the damn DRM stuff.  It seems like this only punishes those who actually pay for their friggin music.

If iTunes is as controlling as this I won’t use it much either.  I share my MP3 collection through my PC network so I can play files at my desk, in the bedroom and in the living room.  I sync that collection to my iPod.  All my music is basically stored in one place.

So it’s nice if it’s compatible with all the methods I use to play it.  WM9 with DRM is NOT compatible with my AudioTron or my iPod.so easy to get around?

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 22, 2003 at 9:13 AM (CDT)

Actually, the site is offering music for 99 cents and not 70. Moreover, the feel of the site is just… kinda empty. There’s not a whole lot of content, and what really pisses me off is the fact that they don’t even have the genre “electronica”, which techno/trance falls under.

This certainly is a shameless ripoff of the music store, and even the commercials resemble those made by Apple. The fact that it dosn’t support iPod and has so many more strings attached is just dissapointing.

Posted by Sraphim on July 22, 2003 at 11:07 AM (CDT)

Posted by Sraphim on July 22, 2003 at 11:07 AM (CDT)

Were you not paying attention Sraphim?  I said it depends on the track.  While I did not see any 70c tracks, I also did not see any 99c tracks.  All three songs I purchased were 89c.

As for iPod support, the same could certainly be said of iTunes.  I can’t use it so it does not support my iPod.  Since a large majority of the computers in use are not Mac I would say that’s a pretty big oversight.

Posted by Andrew McDonald on July 22, 2003 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

This had to happen.

The “mixed” DRM from BuyMusic.com’s track to track could be a major pain, though. Some are unlimited, but many others (Columbia artists, for example) have very limited use. Imagine burning a CD and finding out that you’ve exceeded your limit on several tracks. What happens, do those tracks just refuse to play? Do you need a spreadsheet to keep track of your tracks? PITA.

Apple must have known this would happen, and had better be prepared take on all comers, and frankly I’d be glad if an iPod update enabled WM9 playback. If they present themselves as the friend of music lovers then they’ll win. If they circle the wagons and try to steer online music, they’ll lose.

C’mon Apple, I know you can get this right…

Posted by Craig on July 23, 2003 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

Now for something completely different - check out “Snapster” at http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030724.html

Posted by Strepper on July 24, 2003 at 6:52 PM (CDT)