App Mix: Distant Shore, Nomina, Grocery IQ, RepairPal
The Blimp Pilots, developer of early App Store success Koi Pond, has released its latest application for the iPhone and iPod touch, Distant Shore. The app puts users in a setting of an endless beach, on which they can walk, finding and reading messages in bottles from other users around the world. Users can also write their own messages to be put inside bottles and cast out to sea for other users to discover. Other features include 3-D graphics and soothing ambient sound effects. Distant Shore is available now and sells for $1.
Outspring has released its Nomina application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Nomina allows entrepreneurs and business people to enter a potential brand name and quickly search multiple sources to see if the name is available for use. Once a name is entered, the app searches for available second-level domains, optionally checking another 25 international domains, and also searches the U.S Patent & Trademark Office for identical trademarks, as well as The Library of Congress, Google, Thomas Guide, Dun & Bradstreet, Reuters News Service, and the U.S. Yellow Pages database. Search times range from under a minute on EDGE to as little as 10 seconds over WiFi or 3G. Once completed, the app presents the search results in a graphic report indicating the availability of the name; these reports can then be emailed, and are also saved for reference in a recent searches list. Nomina is available now from the App Store and sells for $15.
Independent iPhone developer Free State Labs has announced that its top-selling lifestyle application Grocery IQ has been acquired by Coupons.com. The app comes preloaded with more than 130,000 items commonly found in supermarkets across America, allowing users to organize their personal shopping lists by store, aisle, buying history, favorites, as well as customizing item sizes. Version 2 of Grocery IQ, planned for a February release, will match shopper’s grocery lists with Coupons.com coupons, and provide multiple ways for consumers to redeem the coupons from their handset. The free upgrade will also allow users to download layouts of nearby supermarkets based on ZIP code and organize their shopping list by store layout to save time shopping. Grocery IQ v.1.0.4 is available now from the App Store for $1; version 2 will be a free upgrade for all existing users.
RepairPal has released its iPhone and iPod touch application of the same name. RepairPal lets users receive free car repair estimates right on their device, and offers a comprehensive repair shop directory—including the ability to use GPS to search for local shops, one-touch access to most automobile manufacturer helplines, and local tow truck or roadside assistance lookup. RepairPal is available as a free download from the App Store.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0