App Mix: Flickr, Commodore, T-Pain, Solitaire
Photo sharing service Flickr has launched its official application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The new native app was preceded by a large number of third-party solutions, many of which we reviewed previously, and is also complimented by the service’s iPhone-optimized mobile site, available at m.flickr.com. Flickr for iPhone allows users to shoot, upload, and share photos and videos, geo-tag photos, view photos by set or tag, see recent photos from friends and family, search and view photos by contact, make comments or mark photos as favorites, and explore other photos by subject, people, or places. Flickr for the iPhone and iPod touch is available now as a free download from the App Store.
Following an initial rejection by Apple and a later reversal of that decision, Manomio’s C64 Commodore 64 emulator application has been released and then pulled from the App Store. Meant to serve as a game emulator, C64 was rejected in June for violating terms of the iPhone SDK despite being fully licensed for both the Commodore ROMs and the five included games, with promises for in-app purchases of more games as they were licensed from the original developers. A slightly modified version was accepted into the App Store over the weekend, after the developer disabled a BASIC interpreter function that would have allowed the app to run arbitrary code. Following its release, the app was pulled from the store when it was discovered that users could re-enable the BASIC interpreter through the software; a revised edition has been re-submitted to Apple for approval.
Smule, in collaboration with hip-hop artist T-Pain and Antares Audio Technologies, has released I Am T-Pain, its latest application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Thanks to audio processing software provided by Antares, I Am T-Pain allows users to sing along to the artist’s tracks, or record their own, using Auto-Tune to create an effect similar to the one heard on T-Pain’s albums. Users simply choose a song to sing or select freestyle to record their own and sing into either the iPhone’s built-in mic or an external mic connected to a second-generation iPod touch. The app includes five full songs with lyrics, integrated Auto-Tune settings, and timings, three background tracks, and lets users expand the functionality by purchasing more songs from within the application. I Am T-Pain is available now and sells for $3.
Namco has announced Solitaire: Deck of Cods, its latest game for the iPhone and iPod touch. Developed in partnership with Red i Studios, the game expands on the traditional solitaire formula by having players move cards from the playing field to the deck below in sequential order, with them catching larger fish the more cards they are able to move in succession. Wildcards help the player increase the size of their catch, and varying levels challenge the player to bring in a different size catch or multiple catches per round. Other features include Facebook Connect, access to the music library, and a Bluetooth two-player mode. Solitaire: Deck of Cods is expected to hit the App Store soon and will be priced at $1.
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Age of Sparta, Google Calendar, Snow White + more
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?