App Mix: Layar, TV Guide, HAVA, MLB.com
Layar has introduced its Layar Reality Browser for the iPhone 3GS. Using the iPhone 3GS’ data connection, camera, GPS, and compass in concert, Layar allows users to search for and view nearby businesses, places of interest, and other data sets by displaying them over top the live view from the iPhone’s camera. Users can filter by distance, and can also view all points on a single screen by using the map or list view. Layar Reality Browser is available now as a free download from the App Store.
Roundbox has released its new TV Guide Mobile application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app offers local TV listings by zip code and cable provider, the ability to view air date, time, channel, and episode and cast details, the ability to add channels and shows as favorites, the ability to search for shows, actors and actresses, and episodes, and a news section with entertainment news, episode recaps and other content from TVGuide.com. TV Guide Mobile is also available as a free download from the App Store.
Monsoon Multimedia has debuted its HAVA Player application for the iPhone and iPod touch. HAVA Player works with the company’s line of video-streaming devices to allow users to watch and control their home TV or TiVo directly from their devices over Wi-Fi. Features include complete compatibility with most free and paid TV services, including DirecTV, Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, Dish Network, and others, the ability to browse the service provider’s program guide, schedule or watch recordings form a DVR, an on-screen remote control, and more. Monsoon Multimedia’s HAVA Player is available now and sells for $10.
Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) has revealed that of the 350,000 average live streams it served for the first round of the 2009 MLB playoffs, roughly 10 percent were viewed on an iPhone or iPod touch. According to PaidContent, 314,000 streams were routed through MLB.com, with another 36,000 viewed on an iPhone or iPod touch via the MLB.com At Bat application. In addition, another 88,000 live audio-only streams were delivered via At Bat. MLBAM employee in part credited the introduction of live mobile streaming technology on the iPhone for increasing the group’s potential audience and for the “great fan response” it has received thus far.
- Apple adds transit directions for Boston, Sydney
- Apple rolls out app thinning in iOS 9.0.2
- Adobe releases Photoshop Fix, Capture CC apps for iOS
- New Philips Hue Bridge supports HomeKit, Siri
- 80 Days, Microgee, Tweetbot 4, Burstio, Evernote, Google Photos
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Apple taking reservations for new iPhones in six European countries
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?