App Mix: Layar, TV Guide, HAVA, MLB.com
Layar has introduced its Layar Reality Browser for the iPhone 3GS. Using the iPhone 3GS’ data connection, camera, GPS, and compass in concert, Layar allows users to search for and view nearby businesses, places of interest, and other data sets by displaying them over top the live view from the iPhone’s camera. Users can filter by distance, and can also view all points on a single screen by using the map or list view. Layar Reality Browser is available now as a free download from the App Store.
Roundbox has released its new TV Guide Mobile application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The app offers local TV listings by zip code and cable provider, the ability to view air date, time, channel, and episode and cast details, the ability to add channels and shows as favorites, the ability to search for shows, actors and actresses, and episodes, and a news section with entertainment news, episode recaps and other content from TVGuide.com. TV Guide Mobile is also available as a free download from the App Store.
Monsoon Multimedia has debuted its HAVA Player application for the iPhone and iPod touch. HAVA Player works with the company’s line of video-streaming devices to allow users to watch and control their home TV or TiVo directly from their devices over Wi-Fi. Features include complete compatibility with most free and paid TV services, including DirecTV, Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, Dish Network, and others, the ability to browse the service provider’s program guide, schedule or watch recordings form a DVR, an on-screen remote control, and more. Monsoon Multimedia’s HAVA Player is available now and sells for $10.
Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) has revealed that of the 350,000 average live streams it served for the first round of the 2009 MLB playoffs, roughly 10 percent were viewed on an iPhone or iPod touch. According to PaidContent, 314,000 streams were routed through MLB.com, with another 36,000 viewed on an iPhone or iPod touch via the MLB.com At Bat application. In addition, another 88,000 live audio-only streams were delivered via At Bat. MLBAM employee in part credited the introduction of live mobile streaming technology on the iPhone for increasing the group’s potential audience and for the “great fan response” it has received thus far.
- The LEGO Movie Video Game, Rocket Cars, SpongeBob: Sponge on the Run, 1Password 5.2 + more
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Be My Eyes, GoodReader 4.8, MacID, Multifly + more
- Monument Valley infographic reveals revenue, other stats from hit game
- AllCast, Google Classroom, Google Maps 4.2, Peg + Cat: The Tree Problem + more
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards