App Mix: Volcano Planet, Prowl, iMated, Nearest Tube
Jelly Biscuits has released Volcano Planet, its latest game for the iPhone and iPod touch. In Volcano Planet, users attempt to help inhabitants of a volcanic planet escape from destruction by tapping on volcanoes as they erupt—like a 3-D whack-a-mole game—while swatting away passing flying saucers. Features include local and Internet high score tracking, bonuses for speed and accuracy, and pause functionality. Volcano Planet is available now from the App Store and sells for $1.
Zachary West has introduced Prowl, a new Push Notification-enabled Growl client for the iPhone and iPod touch. The application works in concert with the Growl plugin for Mac OS X, allowing users to receive Growl notifications—for things like incoming emails, IMs, and Tweets, completed processes, and more—via Apple’s Push Notification service. Other features include the ability to keep up to 30 days of notifications stored on the server, customized notifications, and the ability to send any message to the device via the Prowl website. Prowl is available now and is priced at $3.
Sevnthsin, PopLife, and Yustin have released iMated, a new photo manipulation app for the iPhone and iPod touch. iMated lets users choose and align photos of two separate people to be combined into one face, giving an amusing look at the possible offspring of the two people pictured. Features include the ability to use a photo from the library or take a new photo with the camera, and the ability to shake to generate new results. iMated is available for $2.
Acrossair has previewed Nearest Tube, its new augmented reality application for the iPhone 3GS. Once the app receives approval from Apple, Nearest Tube will allow London-based iPhone users to hold the phone up and see their surroundings displayed in video format, with information about the nearest subway stations—gathered using a combination of Location and Compass technology—overlaid in real time over the video. Nearest Tube is pending approval from Apple; pricing has yet to be announced.
- Does not Commute, Pursuit of Light, Tiltagon, Lightroom, Keynote + PowerPoint
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Halo: Spartan Bundle, Cut!, Sago Mini Toolbox, Chrome, System Monitor + Tumblr
- Security change in iOS 8.3 limits some file manager and transfer apps
- Implosion, Last Voyage, Glass, Instagram + Snapseed
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?