App Mix: Yelp Update, 2-Page Browsers, Postcard Mailers
Yelp has announced an upcoming update to its same-named iPhone application, reviewed yesterday, which currently offers restaurant reviews and a restaurant finder feature. According to a company spokesman, the new Yelp version will let iPhone users “write Twitter-length ‘quick tips’ about a business, draft full reviews, browse a Facebook-style feed of reviews, tips, photos and events” either nearby or authored by friends, as well as adding U.K. support, a large photo browser, and account creation directly from the iPhone. A video of the new Yelp version, which is expected to become available in the App Store in the next day or so, can be viewed here.
Two separate developers have released what one bills as the “first dual web browser for iPhone,” both under similar names, enabling a user to look at two web pages at once. Michal Wagner/7sql’s iBrowseTwo 1.0 divides the vertical-orientation iPhone screen into upper and lower portions, with a bar dividing the two web pages and capable of being moved to let you see more of one or the other. BIG Development’s iBrowse2 1.0 divides the widescreen-orientation screen into two halves, left and right, placing pages on both sides and letting you switch into single-page vertical mode at will. Each app sells for $1.
Direct-from-iPhone postcard-creating applications have appeared in the App Store, including the $2 CardPuppy from Wildcat Mobile and the free app Postcards from Stolen Bases. Both applications let you use iPhone photo gallery images to instantly upload and create actual mailable postcards, complete with text and addresses you enter, which are sent via the developers to recipients of your choice. While CardPuppy comes with a credit good for one postcard, selling additional credits via PayPal for $2.50 and up, Postcards gives you two cards for free and then charges $1.30 and up for additional cards, depending on quantity. Both are available now.
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Apps of the Week: Autodesk SketchBook, TeleStory, Reckless Racing 3 + more
- Adobe introduces suite of Creative Cloud mobile apps
- Apps of the Week: Post-it Plus, WW2: Sandbox, Fruit Ninja 2.0 + more
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple Pay Bank of America customers experiencing double-charges
- iPad Air 2 unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- Apple’s new Maps Connect lets businesses manage listings, request iBeacon indoor mapping
- Apple reportedly begins in-store sales of iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Cook discussing security with top Chinese official
- GT and Apple to part ways ‘amicably’
- Apple Pay can be used internationally with U.S.-based cards
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2014: 39.3M iPhones, 12.3M iPads, 2.6M iPods, $42.1B revenue
- Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 7.0.1
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Just Mobile Xtand Go Z1
- PowerSkin Pop’n 2 for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- APC M5BK + M10BK 5000/10000mAh Mobile Power Packs
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0