App Store Finds: PhoneSaber removed, FMTouch, ProRemote, PuzzLoop | iLounge News

App Store Finds: PhoneSaber removed, FMTouch, ProRemote, PuzzLoop

The developers behind the popular iPhone and iPod touch application PhoneSaber have posted a statement regarding the app’s removal from the App Store. According to TheMacBox, they pulled the app at the request of THQ Wireless, which owns the rights for Star Wars apps on mobile phones. Their talks with THQ were friendly, however, and the devs write that “[t]hey want to do some sort of official, Star Wars branded version of PhoneSaber, and will be working with us on that one.” Release date and pricing information for the new version has yet to be revealed.

FMWebSchool has introduced its new FMTouch application, which allows users to deploy FileMaker Pro on an iPhone or iPod Touch. The app offers support for multiple databases, multiple related tables, layouts, portals and value lists, and allows users to add records, edit records, delete records, delete found sets, sort records, edit portal rows, search, find all records and use FileMaker generated runtimes. FMTouch requires FileMaker 8 or 9, and is now available through the App Store for $99.99.

Far Out Labs has announced the release of its new ProRemote applications, which allow iPhone and iPod touch users to control professional audio products such as Digidesign’s ProTools and Apple’s Logic Music production system using a proprietary protocol over a Wi-Fi network. It provides users with either eight channels (light edition) or 32 channels of remote control with real-time color metering and 40mm touch-sensitive virtual faders. The full version of also offers a dedicated transport view that allows the user to do audio scrubbing/shuttling, set markers, and control many advanced aspects of the transport as well as basic play, record, and return to zero. ProRemote Light Edition and ProRemote are both available now from the App Store, and sell for $39.99 and $149.99, respectively.

Hudson Soft has released its second iPhone/iPod touch game Puzzloop. First released as an arcade game in 1998, Puzzloop is a “looping puzzle” game in which players attempt to clear differently-colored balls from the game screen by shooting balls from a central position in hopes of connecting three or more of the same color. Puzzloop is available now from the App Store and sells for $7.99.

« Sign up for iPodweek, coming later today

MobileMe poll ends, Apple Fall 08 product poll begins »

Comments

well, that’s a shame about PhoneSaber. i can’t say i’m honestly surprised, though: Lucas and the companies that he’s contracted out with are notorious for safeguarding the Star Wars IPs, including light saber noises.

Posted by luke on August 8, 2008 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

That is quite stupid in my opinion about the lightsaber app being pulled. Seriously, I just get annoyed that the free app is pulled because a bigger, more famous, and richer company wants to make their own version of the app instead and then probably CHARGE everyone for it. Thank goodness I downloaded this app before it got pulled though-it is one of my most favorite free apps and the one I show off the most to people too.

Posted by Jonathan on August 8, 2008 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Jonathan needs a serious lesson on intellectual property rights- he’s spending too much time on Kazaa and LimeWire. Do you think Warner Brothers should stand by and do nothing if someone releases an unauthorized “Dark Knight” app in the App Store, even if they give it away for free? If they don’t protect their intellectual property rights, it’s harder to protect in the future. George Lucas created Star Wars and built it into a billion dollar franchise. Why on earth should he let some Wahoo rip off his content?

Posted by Mike on August 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Guys,

Please note that THQ is working with the original developer on the new version. Yes, they are protecting their IP, but they are also giving the developer a chance to work on the “official” version, and by allowing them to use real Star Wars graphics and sounds, the next version will likely be even better. It could be a lot worse.

Posted by Charles Starrett on August 8, 2008 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

I think the overarching problem, once again, is that Apple allowed an app with obvious intellectual property concerns to be introduced to the App Store. C’mon, do you think there’s ANY way the light saber’s name and audiovisual representation don’t fall under the purview of protected IP? I downloaded the app because I found it amusing, but knowing full well that it was a pretty blatant use of another’s patent and/or copyright. I suppose one argument is that nobody profits from a free app, so there is no economic harm to the patent holder, but that’s a specious claim.

I don’t blame an unknowing developer for producing the app, and I don’t blame THQ for throwing up roadblocks. I do blame Apple for again demonstrating a complete dearth of forethought in dealing with submissions.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

===Why on earth should he let some Wahoo rip off his content?===
Posted by Mike on August 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

There’s a difference between selling some commercial product (or some product that puts Star Wars in a bad light) and a stupid innoculous little app that no one makes money off. Instead of using some common sense in protecting his IP, Lucas rather would use a sledgehammer to smash everyone down.

It’s Lucas’s IP, he can do whatever he wants. But stories like this are bad pub for him and, in the end, it does him more harm than good to be this aggressive.

Posted by Dale Reeck on August 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

===Thank goodness I downloaded this app before it got pulled though-it is one of my most favorite free apps and the one I show off the most to people too.===
Posted by Jonathan on August 8, 2008 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Assuming Apple does remotely deactivate the app on everyone smile

Posted by Dale Reeck on August 8, 2008 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

How did I know that I would find at least one Apple-bash in the comments of this story. I wish there were a way to remove people from our planet as easily as it is to remove apps from the App Store.

Posted by Jordan on August 8, 2008 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Jordan, are you referring to my comment? Was there something terribly offensive about telling like it is?

It’s not an “Apple-bash” to say that the company’s policies and practices in the infancy of the App Store have been shaky at best. The examples are numerous.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

Yes, I was referring to you. You completely dismissed the developer from any blame whatsoever and made Apple solely responsible. This is 2008 and there is no excuse for anyone to not recognize a copyright. I think this was just another opportunity for someone give their (in my view, sour grapes) opinion of the App Store.

Posted by Jordan on August 8, 2008 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

Considering that I speak for myself, and know full well what I wrote, I will not agree with (or, for that matter, excuse) your characterization of my comment. As an attorney who occasionally deals with intellectual property matters, I do not necessarily expect a developer such as the one who authored “Phone Saber” to understand the ramifications of using another’s intellectual property in a free application. In fact, I would hazard to guess that most people do not assume any harm will be done so long as no profits are enjoyed by the property that unwittingly uses the trademark, copyright or patent in question. On the other hand, I feel certain that a corporate behemoth such as Apple knows full well the liability concerns of peddling “stolen” intellectual property, and in this case I feel that Apple was negligent in allowing this app to remain downloadable for nearly a full month before excising it.

Your view of my opinion of the App Store is profoundly incorrect and I think you jumped to conclusions in assuming as much (we’ll disregard your unnecessarily snarky comment regarding “remov[ing] people from our planet). I have an iPhone 3G and enjoy it very much, but I do recognize some of its flaws. I have used the App Store to put probably 20-25 applications on my iPhone in the past month, but my patronage does not prevent me from making a reasonable, rational comment about the quality of the App Store’s offerings or its oversight. Should I be expected to never dine at a restaurant again after I criticize one or two of the entrees, or the quality of service?

I have no idea why you would perceive sour grapes on my part. I’m not a developer and I’ve never had one of my submissions rejected or removed from the App Store. I’m nothing more than a user of the product in question, and that gives me the right and the frame of reference to offer my criticisms. It’s a shame that you apparently have to take those criticisms personally.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Point of clarification or correction: in the first paragraph of my last comment, the third sentence should read: “In fact, I would hazard to guess that most people do not assume any harm will be done so long as no profits are enjoyed by the *PARTY* that unwittingly uses the trademark, copyright or patent in question.”

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 8, 2008 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

@Mike

Please, give me a break dude, the application was FREE for goodness sakes. No one was gaining any profit whatsoever even if you want to consider the app a violation of copyright rules. And you know, they could have named the app shinylightsword-and none of this would have had to happen. P.S. I never use Kaaza or Limewhere, never had and never will. Your judgmental comments and conclusions are really over the top and ridiculous. Learn some respect.

@Jordan

Wishing someone to be removed from the planet because they made a fair and logical assessment that you may disagree with about the Apple App Store takes the idea of Apple Fanboy to a crazy inappropriate new level. Seriously, if you are so naive to think the App store may not be making a mistake about regarding this, so much to the point that you wish someone gone, indicates something just plain wrong. I suggest you read what you write and the implications behind it before spewing it.

Posted by Jonathan on August 8, 2008 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Yep - PhoneSaber - that’s why the mobile phone system is pretty much the most stupid thing ever devised.

Pay for ringtones - you really have to pay extra to get less of a song just so it plays when the phone gets an incoming call?  For each one?  What the crap?

Pay for text messages - you really have to pay that much for a few bytes of data going over the wire?  What the crap?

App craziness - someone really asserts “rights” over something so stupid as the PhoneSaber?  What the crap?

Posted by Jeremy on August 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

Apple should KILL all the apps if you ask me as all they do is make your iPhone crash faster!

The iPhone 2.0.1 and iTunes 7.7.1 is so totally unstable it crashes everyday and needs a restore. Apps quit constantly, all of them doesn’t matter which one. Once one app quits they all do. Restarts and hard resets do not help. Only a total restore is needed. Sometimes when an app quits it kills the iPhone and you are left with a Apple logo.

iTunes takes forever to do backups on the iPhone that wind up useless as when you try to do a restore using a backup, 9 times out of ten iTunes tells you it is corrupted and you need to restore as a new iPhone.

iTunes never knows when you need updates on the apps and is wrong most of the time. If you do and update with iTunes of an app, it downloads the app and recreates the file instead of overwriting it. Take a look in your Mobile Application folder and you will find tons of files building up with incremented file names like AIM, AIM 1, AIM 2, etc.

The iPhone is a fantastic device when it works, which is never more than a day if you install any apps and try to use them. Beware installing, updating or deleting apps directly on the iPhone very often will kill it leaving you with the white Apple logo of death and no phone at all. Such a pleasant experience when it happens in the middle of the day leaving you without even a cell phone. Make a great Apple logo flashlight!

I returned the iPhone for replacement, I synced it with different Macs, tried loading less app, different apps, no apps. Nothing really helps. This is the buggiest products Apple has probably ever released.

The Genius Bars and the Apple support forums are loaded with iPhone problems so I am not alone!

Posted by Stephen on August 10, 2008 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Wow, that really sucks Stephen but I just haven’t had the same experience as you. My new 3G has worked just fine. I will admit that I’ve had to reboot it a bit more than I did my 2G iPhone but it hasn’t been once a day, or even once a week. My apps sync just fine and I don’t have duplicates in my apps folder, in fact updates have even been uneventful for me. I’ve never had to restore the phone but I do to agree that the backup process is a bit of a hassle, though I don’t connect it as often as I did with my old phone since my contacts and calendar are updated over mobile me now.

It seems like everyone is quick to get upset with apple about every detail of this launch and maybe they deserve it but I’m willing to give them a little slack. I’m a fanboy, I admit, but I’m also aware that they are really jumping into a new industry for them and I think over all they’ve done a pretty good job. The handset it amazing, the OS overall is pretty impressive and I firmly believe that they will resolve all the bugs in pretty short order so that we can go back to complaining about the lack of cut and paste and no voice dialing…etc.

Posted by mb airhead on August 11, 2008 at 6:27 AM (PDT)